The Great Gatsby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Gatsby Reviews

½ November 11, 2018
A bit flashier than the novel but it's closest adaptation.
½ November 9, 2018
This film was unwatchable.
November 4, 2018
100% certified fresh
November 1, 2018
Exceedingly romantic and full of pizazz. A perfect combination of the past and present, oozing with Baz Luhrmann's signature style and a beautiful soundtrack.
½ October 11, 2018
style and Baz Luhrmann's meet in the perfect setting, excess and success combine to create a time of plenty, with the end in sight from the off!
September 13, 2018
While at time of writing I am unfamiliar with it's source material, The Great Gatsby as a film is certainly a spectacle. Upon second screening, I came to appreciate Luhrmann's style throughout the film as well as the unconventional music direction from Jay-Z; these both added to the mystique and alluring qualities that backed DiCaprio's strong performance. "Gatsby" is surely the most creatively ambitious adaptation of a novel I can remember and because of this it is wildly entertaining and earnest in its portrayal of the novel. Seeing it for the first time in its theatrical release, I must add the 3D effects in this film are exceptional and fully contributed to the direction of the cinematography. I applaud Luhrmann and company for the decision to go 3D.
September 7, 2018
This film and story will never get old! I love it so much.
The artistic development fits so well with the novel, and thrle characters/actors are all fantastic!
September 2, 2018
Why does this not have an Oscar?!
August 17, 2018
Magnifique -grandiose
August 5, 2018
a better if u already read the book
½ August 4, 2018
for some point, i think this movie is fine, but for the long mount of data just come to you at the same time for a whole movie, i think this movie is kinda chaos, in not good way, acting is also not that satisfied as i expect. so yeh, 3.5 is ok.
July 10, 2018
The american dream can't be described in any other way than this, it's also very beautiful in sense of emotions and music, the actors style is very well put together.
June 18, 2018
For a movie about which I had no, or at least very low, expectations, I walked out of "The Great Gatsby" not just pleasantly surprised. I left immensely entertained, even through the credits. Baz Luhrmann has been known for his visually stunning...err...bores. At last in my opinion. I have a deep disdain for period pieces that use modern music, so at early glances, this seemed like an extended eye roll. However, as I saw more trailers, the more I was intrigued. The good news is, the music wasn't an over-the-top distraction as I thought it might be. At least not after the initial, speedy first 30-45 minute introduction to the characters and premise. Had the movie continued the pace and music, I would have easily hated the film. However, it didn't. The story unfolded as beautifully as the visuals. The music matched the mood. The dialogue, pacing and acting carried through to the unfortunate end. Book-ended by orchestral versions of an older, little-known, yet long-time favorite of mine Gotye song, "Heart's a Mess," I ended up impressed with how well-constructed the soundtrack was around the film, even if it was modern. All-in-all, while I have not read the original source novel, the film was spectacular.
June 14, 2018
I made an account just to review this movie. I'm a senior in high school and I just finished reading the book. The book left me wanting more of Gatsby(I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. The beginning's a bit dull but it picks up pretty quickly) so I bought this movie to watch. I absolutely loved it. How the shots were framed with the fast pace and unique angles, and the music were some of my favorite aspects. This is honestly the best movie I've ever seen. It felt really unique.
June 11, 2018
The Great Gatsby spends more time replicating its time period in a relatable and visually pleasing manner than it does on its characters, and while DiCaprio and Maguire receive praise for their respective roles, many ideas and themes feel either shallow or waisted.
May 24, 2018
Whilst visually dazzling and ambitious in its presentation, this adaptation often is too active and doesn't quite capture the proper tone of the novel.
½ May 21, 2018
This movie was a saccharine, anachronistic piece of crap:)
May 12, 2018
More glamorous than the 1974 version but same great acting. Leonardo DiCaprio did an excellent job of playing the role that Robert Redford mastered. Excellent acting
May 11, 2018
Leo Is Amazing on the Movie Beautiful history LOVEEEEEEEEE And The Oscar for Best Actor Goes To - Leonardo Dicaprio