The Great Gatsby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Gatsby Reviews

½ November 22, 2016
Such a "great" (hahaaaaaaa, I have no life) show of what the book showed and also what love and treachery can do.
½ November 11, 2016
The Great Gatsby while having a great cast and some dazzling visuals can't hold up to being a great film. This film feels like a wasted opportunity. Leonardo and most of the cast put their al into their performances. The only problem is even the visuals and the cast can't hold up to its disappointing results.The plot is what really kills this movie. From the look of the trailers this seemed like another hit with Leonardo's career. But due to the plot which is as boring as Pride Prodigious and Zombies. Overall I think this film is one to miss.
October 25, 2016
As Baz Luhrman's pulsating hyper reality visions of style is to want, The Great Gatsby is one of pure excess, ablaze with breathless visual splendour and zinging cinematic tricks in a dazzling production - all topped off in 3D.

In the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz, bootleg kings, and sky-rocketing stocks, would-be writer Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) chases his American Dream by leaving the innocently quiet Midwest for the bright lights of big city New York City.

In early summer, Nick rents a house in Long Island, across the bay from his cousin Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan) and her philandering blue-blooded husband, Tom (Joel Edgerton). Adjacent is a mansion owned by the mysterious, party-giving millionaire Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio).

Promptly joining the islands prominent social-circle, Nick is captivated by and drawn into the lavish lifestyle of the super-rich, bearing witness to their extremes of illusion, love and deceit. Through the cracks of Gatsby's nouveau riche existence, Nick is inspired to pen a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams, obsessive madness and high-octane tragedy.

An adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel, The Great Gatsby as relevant now as it was originally in 1926, holding the proverbial mirror to our own modern times and struggles. Visually a fantastical spectacle of beauty, from people to costumes, settings and locations, these cinematic tools hold viewers at arm- length, never allowing you to be profoundly moved or even feel the beat of films heart

DiCaprio is perfect as Gatsby, always striking the right balance between showy and disturbed but seems at times somewhat denied his own dramatic choices. Mulligan doesn't find the mark between vulnerable and overt as easily, and lacks passion with her leading man. Maguire's role although rather wimpy and insipid is carried off by his sheer belief in the character.

The Verdict: Sadly, the press' foreplay of hype was to the films detriment. Whilst listening to the departing crowds, there was an obvious sense of disappointment, a longing for an emotional movement that never came and a general sense of disconnect as the director hid behind the excess that threatened to overwhelm.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 31/05/2013
October 20, 2016
I could watch this film over and over again. I am extremely interested in collaboration of music artist. I enjoyed all the settings, character portrayals, costumes, and more! What a wonderful film!
½ October 10, 2016
Certainly entertaining and never banal, Leonardo DiCaprio surprises as always in this intriguing and charming adaptation of Fitzgerald's cult novel, where aesthetic and beauty are the primary values.
October 5, 2016
Not as good as I had expected, certainly not as good & impactful as the book was when first read. It seems exceptionally inauthentic and unrealistic.
October 4, 2016
Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby delivers new life to the famous story, first published in 1925. The over-the-top set designs provide a glamorous, glittery back drop in almost every scene. Although they can surely appear to be overwhelming, these filming and editing techniques work perfectly considering the dazzling time period that is the jazz age. Glitzy wardrobes and modern pop music mixed with jazz, accompanied by a top-notch cast, allow for the audience to experience the real craze of the 1920's.
The movie begins with a glimpse into the extravagant lifestyle of wealthy New Yorkers during the roaring twenties. With the stock market booming and morals loosening, liquor was cheap, and partying was prioritized over all. Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), the observant and emotionally troubled narrator, has just moved to West Egg to chase the America dream on Wall Street. His cousin, Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan) lives across the bay with her husband, Tom (Joel Edgerton). Not soon after Nick moves in, his mysterious neighbor, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), takes an interest in him. Gatsby informs Nick that he has been in love with Daisy ever since he left for the war five years ago and hopes to win her back now that he is no longer penniless. Gatsby has returned to West Egg as a mysterious bootlegger whom no one knows personally. The film follows Daisy and Gatsby while they reunite and attempt to rekindle their love amidst a world filled with shallow socialites, secret affairs, and of course, money.
Originality is undoubtedly present in the film, but the director also succeeds in staying true to the story's authentic plot and famous symbolism. Like many other stories, not every aspect of the book makes its way into the movie rendition, but Luhrmann and screenplay director Craig Pearce pay attention to detail and character interaction. The original, surprising plot of the book is hidden amongst the flash and flare of the 2013 version, but it is in fact there. The green light shining across the bay from Daisy's house symbolizes what Gatsby is most known for, everlasting hope that the past will repeat itself. The on-screen relationships between each character provides a realistic look into the exclusive lives they live in New York's upper class. Gatsby is genuinely interested in becoming friends with Nick, instead of just using him to gain access to Daisy. Gatsby's compassion makes him stand out within the superficial society he has planted himself in. Effective portrayal of the protagonist and antagonist in this film allows for the audience to truly root for Gatsby while he attempts to win Daisy back.
DiCaprio plays Gatsby perfectly in a sense that he is alluring and captivating. When Gatsby is feeling confident, DiCaprio's faint smiles and smirks make his performance exciting to watch. His famous blonde hair and blue eyes make him appear much more full of life and love compared to his character's "opponent," Tom Buchanan. DiCaprio delivers his lines, including his favorite phrase "Old Sport," with a small hint of an English accent. Carey Mulligan's performance as Daisy is also quite impressive. Her charming tone of voice while she excitedly speaks reveals just how flattering and flirty her character truly is. Mulligan's petite size and innocent expressions allow for her to be easily objectified and controllable to both her character's love interests.
This terrific piece of cinematic artwork promotes the overall greatness of the novel and does not for a second allow the audience to take their eyes off the ever changing, fascinating screen. The lavish use of movie magic compliments the lifestyle of these intriguing characters and does not over shadow the famous, classic plot of The Great Gatsby.
½ September 26, 2016
Thought it was directed by the Sin City directory because the cinematography reminded of it. It works for Sin City, but not this kind of movie. Great tale but mismatched by the cinematography and the awful soundtrack.
September 23, 2016
The Kitsch Gatsby. The book deserved so much better. And Daisy. Poor, poor Daisy. Why would Jay be obsessed for five years with such a Ravissante Idiote?
September 4, 2016
An intense, classy adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's timeless novel, The Great Gatsby is certaintly an ambitious film that delivers on all aspects
½ September 3, 2016
THE GREAT GATSBY for me is a bit of a conundrum- it's visually spectacular and very ambitious- it does what not many films would dare to do- it takes chances and is different. I love that. But the film's writing and direction is emotionally corrupt- it is not really serious and this is the wrong tone for this material.The original book was epic in scope because the story dealt with serious subjects and the problem with this film is that it uses this great story and steamrolls over it by using it as an excuse to make a movie and focus more on just having a party and a good time. The story seems almost secondary here- sadly, yes, that is the case here.

Director Baz Luhrmann was not really interested in the story so much as making this film an overblown, immense and trashy visual spectacle. He only used the story as an excuse to throw a big party and have a lot of fun and not care too much really about what was going on. Why he did this- I just do not know, or can I understand. What is the point of making the movie for that reason? I don't know- or maybe he didn't- but that's certainly the impression I and I'm sure a lot of other people who have seen this film got out of watching it. The production values completely overblow anything else happening in this movie. The visuals draw so much attention to themselves that you get the feeling that Luhrmann was more interested in the production rather than the story.

It's not a bad film- I can't call it that because I would be lying. The cast is terrific here- they are all fabulous and deserve recongition. British actress Carey Mulligan is very strong in her portrayal of Daisy Buchanan, the most complex and veiled character of this story.

The visuals are very strong (what to expect from Baz Luhrmann) and for its visual technical achievements, it should receive a few Oscars. But I will have a hard time remembering this adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's timeless novel. It's what it puts itself out to be- it's just another event, just another movie, just another fun party. It's a meaningless film- no matter how good the performances and visuals are.
August 30, 2016
The Great Gatsby was brilliantly casted, with performances that portrayed the novel's characters as well as any movie can, but Luhrmann tries to be too stylish to the point of annoying. However, the Great Gatsby was a fun, suspenseful movie that can be enjoyed by all audiences.
August 24, 2016
4 out of 5 stars. I actually quite liked this film! I haven't read the book or seen the 1974 film since middle school, so the story was almost entirely new to me. The film was visually stunning and fun to watch. And of course the story by Fitzgerald is a classic. I also loved how they worked the modern Hip-Hop music in to the party scenes in particular. It gave a greater context to just how big of ragers the parties were, even back in the relatively "tame" 20s.
August 20, 2016
I enjoyed this movie, and had its good ending. Amazing acting and depiction of the Harlem Renaissance Era during the depression. Beautiful, fun, yet I never read the book.
August 12, 2016
The novel's vivacious core and the cast's struggles to bring the story to life are overwhelmed by director Baz Luhrmann's irrepressible urge to douse the proceedings in sparkles and fireworks.
August 11, 2016
One of, if not the best, movie I have ever seen. Baz Luhrman did an amazing job on this movie and the cinematography and overall was amazing. The actors were 100% believable and all their performances were award winning. A shame that this movie wasn't applauded as well as it should have been.
½ August 10, 2016
asfkjklkl! Baz Luhrmann directed it, that's I really need to know to want to see this film.
August 6, 2016
Those who try to surpass a masterpiece seldom succeed. Gatsby's enigmatic, low-key, and conflicted personality is superbly portrayed by Robert Redford in the 1974 film. DiCaprio's performance belies the disciplined subtlety that was Gatsby's essence. Similarly, the performances of Mia Farrow, Sam Waterson, Bruce Dern, and Karen Black were perfect.
August 3, 2016
Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan in one of the years best movies!
August 2, 2016
Emotional. I feel Gatsby.