The Great Gatsby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Gatsby Reviews

June 3, 2017
I give 2 stars because Leo did his best, but this was a dull sit through.
May 13, 2017
Get through the first 30 minutes, which are agonizingly slow, and then the movie takes off. I had read the book, loved the story but hated the over-detailed content in it, so the movie is just perfect: the story comes to the forefront and the imagery gets pushed into a footnote to the story. Check it out if you've read the book.
April 30, 2017
I had previously watched Baz Luhrmann's interpretation of 'Romeo and Juliet' (Romeo+Juliet) and I found it to be a relatively entertaining film that, importantly, understood when it was set (modern day). This is but one criticism that I have of 'The Great Gatsby'; Luhrmann's choice of music was bizarrely modern despite the film being set in the 1920s.

Furthermore, the film appears to try to create a 'flow' in which scenes seamlessly connect to create a smooth experience, however, this does not work. The scenes seem rushed and therefore, as an audience, we cannot connect to the characters (you could argue that perhaps this was done to exemplify the 'superficial' nature of the time). Scenes simply come and go and the audience, in my opinion, cannot respect the themes behind the source material.

My final verdict is that Baz Luhrmann simply could not adapt the 'great American novel' to the big screen; not in the sense of a poorly structured narrative, but in the fact that some poor choices in music and editing led to this poor adaption.
April 29, 2017
This an awesome movie I love everything about it and wish there were more movies like this one.
April 21, 2017
What is this obsession with denouncing every one of Luhrmann's masterpieces, critics? Yes, i accept that he may lose some of the classical plot, but this is loss is filled in, and topped with his focus on the visuals, setting and style; thats what makes these films so effortlessly stunning. It is more a piece of art than a basic classic.
½ April 12, 2017
The story was good but I didn't appreciated the music used in the movie.
½ March 30, 2017
Great visual work from Luhrmann once again. The characters and story are extremely dull, however.
March 30, 2017
Great Gatsby, The (2013) ?? D: Baz Luhrmann. Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, Isla Fisher, Joel Edgerton, Elizabeth Debicki. Young reporter is drawn into world of mysterious zillionaire Jay Gatsby. You don't have to be a movie critic (or even a book critic) to know something was seriously wrong with this movie right from the beginning; sincere writing and casting of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel is thoroughly trashed and undermined by just one thing: rap music. A shame, considering this was otherwise a fairly faithful adaptation. But it doesn't get away so clean: the settings have been unrealistically rendered in CGI and 3-D (3-D!!!) and overcrowded by overblown party scenes, which are laughably bad . . . but the acting is good, and the screenplay (by director Luhrmann, Craig Pearce) has a slick polish. Maguire is interesting casting as Nick, and doesn't Mulligan have the darnedest cutest face you ever did see? Oscar wins for Best costumes, production design.
March 17, 2017
Borderline unwatchable.
½ March 16, 2017
Not even Leo can make this a good movie
March 4, 2017
Not really a fan of Baz Lurhman and much like his other films, the only thing that grabs me is the visual style.
February 24, 2017
With spectacular costumes and make-up, The Great Gatsby takes you on a fun ride through the ritz and glamorous life of the upper class in the 30's. After the film stops playing however, you are left with an unsatisfactory feeling, especially painful for those familiar with the source material.
February 23, 2017
Good adaptation of the novel. Visually stunning, while thoroughly entertaining.
February 22, 2017
Despite some distracting choices in direction, by Luhrmann (which try desperately hard to immerse you in the world he's created, while succeeding at actually taking you out of it) the movie ultimately succeeds with great performances from the cast and great set design and atmosphere. Leonardo DiCaprio brings his usual top notch performance and Tobey Maguire surprises in one of his best roles. This is by far the best rendition of the book and will be for quite some time.
February 17, 2017
A friend recommended that I give this a try. I've never read the book but, thought this film was ok. I've always found Baz Luhrmann's directorial style a little odd. On a positive note, Leonardo looks very dashing in 1920s attire!
February 8, 2017
one of the best movies of late
January 31, 2017
America's shining jewel of social commentary, a period film with a spice of deceit and trickery, love and romance. This adaptation is certainly dazzling, yet superficial. It supports the phrase, "all that glitters is not gold". Though the performances from DiCaprio, Maguire, and Debicki are satisfactory, an uneven script weighs down The Great Gatsby's powerful tale of greed and ambition to a grim, lackadaisical end product.
January 22, 2017
As dazzling as a movie based on The Great Gatsby should be, and even surprisingly moving. Yes the hip hop soundtracks do sometimes feel out of place, but the glitter and style of the visuals make you often oblivious to the Jay-z music somewhere in the background. Dicaprio can do no wrong, and predictably ends up being a magnificent and magnetic Gatsby. Edgarton was also especially notable but the huge surprise was Maguire, who despite being completely frustrating as Spiderman pulls off a character I could actually like. With colour, romance and beautiful scenery, Luhrmann gives us a current Gatsby that younger viewers can enjoy filled with visual splendor.
½ January 14, 2017
I'm wondering why this book is considered a classic. It truly is a horrendously sad story on all levels. I'm not saying things that are sad cannot be great, but there is nothing to even learn from this.

The reason I'm giving this 3 and a half stars is because of the wonderful costumes and set and the exquisite cast.
January 11, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Watching 'The Great Gatsby' is like watching a brilliant West-End pantomime, as it has you grinning from ear-to-ear yet strangely hooked in the world and story too. That's made possible by the simple brilliance of its mystery and romance story, and the fact it's told so creatively, as the mystery and romance intertwine through the weave of these brilliantly constructed characters so effortlessly. What makes it entertaining though is Baz Luhrmann's quirky, bold and energised vision that fashions the bones of the Great Gatsby's skeleton into something really unique and dramatic. Couple that with equally energised performances and you're onto a real winner as far as I'm concerned.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As ever with this guy, I might have liked some time off from the whirring camera movements and the dazzling visuals to just take a step back and appreciate the more touching moments of the story, or indeed the more pertenant themes the source material adresses far more effectively.
VERDICT: Whilst a little much at times, Baz Luhrmann's Great Gatsby is as enjoyable as it is dazzling, and we'd be foolish to think those things can't go hand-in-hand.