The Great Gatsby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Gatsby Reviews

February 24, 2017
With spectacular costumes and make-up, The Great Gatsby takes you on a fun ride through the ritz and glamorous life of the upper class in the 30's. After the film stops playing however, you are left with an unsatisfactory feeling, especially painful for those familiar with the source material.
February 23, 2017
Good adaptation of the novel. Visually stunning, while thoroughly entertaining.
February 22, 2017
Despite some distracting choices in direction, by Luhrmann (which try desperately hard to immerse you in the world he's created, while succeeding at actually taking you out of it) the movie ultimately succeeds with great performances from the cast and great set design and atmosphere. Leonardo DiCaprio brings his usual top notch performance and Tobey Maguire surprises in one of his best roles. This is by far the best rendition of the book and will be for quite some time.
February 17, 2017
A friend recommended that I give this a try. I've never read the book but, thought this film was ok. I've always found Baz Luhrmann's directorial style a little odd. On a positive note, Leonardo looks very dashing in 1920s attire!
February 8, 2017
one of the best movies of late
January 31, 2017
America's shining jewel of social commentary, a period film with a spice of deceit and trickery, love and romance. This adaptation is certainly dazzling, yet superficial. It supports the phrase, "all that glitters is not gold". Though the performances from DiCaprio, Maguire, and Debicki are satisfactory, an uneven script weighs down The Great Gatsby's powerful tale of greed and ambition to a grim, lackadaisical end product.
January 22, 2017
As dazzling as a movie based on The Great Gatsby should be, and even surprisingly moving. Yes the hip hop soundtracks do sometimes feel out of place, but the glitter and style of the visuals make you often oblivious to the Jay-z music somewhere in the background. Dicaprio can do no wrong, and predictably ends up being a magnificent and magnetic Gatsby. Edgarton was also especially notable but the huge surprise was Maguire, who despite being completely frustrating as Spiderman pulls off a character I could actually like. With colour, romance and beautiful scenery, Luhrmann gives us a current Gatsby that younger viewers can enjoy filled with visual splendor.
½ January 14, 2017
I'm wondering why this book is considered a classic. It truly is a horrendously sad story on all levels. I'm not saying things that are sad cannot be great, but there is nothing to even learn from this.

The reason I'm giving this 3 and a half stars is because of the wonderful costumes and set and the exquisite cast.
January 11, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Watching 'The Great Gatsby' is like watching a brilliant West-End pantomime, as it has you grinning from ear-to-ear yet strangely hooked in the world and story too. That's made possible by the simple brilliance of its mystery and romance story, and the fact it's told so creatively, as the mystery and romance intertwine through the weave of these brilliantly constructed characters so effortlessly. What makes it entertaining though is Baz Luhrmann's quirky, bold and energised vision that fashions the bones of the Great Gatsby's skeleton into something really unique and dramatic. Couple that with equally energised performances and you're onto a real winner as far as I'm concerned.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As ever with this guy, I might have liked some time off from the whirring camera movements and the dazzling visuals to just take a step back and appreciate the more touching moments of the story, or indeed the more pertenant themes the source material adresses far more effectively.
VERDICT: Whilst a little much at times, Baz Luhrmann's Great Gatsby is as enjoyable as it is dazzling, and we'd be foolish to think those things can't go hand-in-hand.
January 3, 2017
I really enjoyed this cinematography and the story. Of course, I love Fitzgerald....
½ January 2, 2017
The Great Gatsby is a very slow movie but Leo is great as Jay Gatsby.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 28, 2016
If I am honest, this movie left me wanting up until the very end. It was the ending that MADE this movie great. This is a must watch.
½ December 25, 2016
Story great, modernized but still good
December 17, 2016
Ignore all these bullshit reviews of how terrible and "vulgar" this film is. I loved this film. I don't understand why this film is getting a bad reputation. i recommend this film to anyone.
December 5, 2016
One of the most dramatically and vividly entertaining movies I have seen in a while. Most definitely on my top ten favorites of all time list.
½ November 22, 2016
Such a "great" (hahaaaaaaa, I have no life) show of what the book showed and also what love and treachery can do.
½ November 11, 2016
The Great Gatsby while having a great cast and some dazzling visuals can't hold up to being a great film. This film feels like a wasted opportunity. Leonardo and most of the cast put their al into their performances. The only problem is even the visuals and the cast can't hold up to its disappointing results.The plot is what really kills this movie. From the look of the trailers this seemed like another hit with Leonardo's career. But due to the plot which is as boring as Pride Prodigious and Zombies. Overall I think this film is one to miss.
October 25, 2016
As Baz Luhrman's pulsating hyper reality visions of style is to want, The Great Gatsby is one of pure excess, ablaze with breathless visual splendour and zinging cinematic tricks in a dazzling production - all topped off in 3D.

In the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz, bootleg kings, and sky-rocketing stocks, would-be writer Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) chases his American Dream by leaving the innocently quiet Midwest for the bright lights of big city New York City.

In early summer, Nick rents a house in Long Island, across the bay from his cousin Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan) and her philandering blue-blooded husband, Tom (Joel Edgerton). Adjacent is a mansion owned by the mysterious, party-giving millionaire Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio).

Promptly joining the islands prominent social-circle, Nick is captivated by and drawn into the lavish lifestyle of the super-rich, bearing witness to their extremes of illusion, love and deceit. Through the cracks of Gatsby's nouveau riche existence, Nick is inspired to pen a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams, obsessive madness and high-octane tragedy.

An adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel, The Great Gatsby as relevant now as it was originally in 1926, holding the proverbial mirror to our own modern times and struggles. Visually a fantastical spectacle of beauty, from people to costumes, settings and locations, these cinematic tools hold viewers at arm- length, never allowing you to be profoundly moved or even feel the beat of films heart

DiCaprio is perfect as Gatsby, always striking the right balance between showy and disturbed but seems at times somewhat denied his own dramatic choices. Mulligan doesn't find the mark between vulnerable and overt as easily, and lacks passion with her leading man. Maguire's role although rather wimpy and insipid is carried off by his sheer belief in the character.

The Verdict: Sadly, the press' foreplay of hype was to the films detriment. Whilst listening to the departing crowds, there was an obvious sense of disappointment, a longing for an emotional movement that never came and a general sense of disconnect as the director hid behind the excess that threatened to overwhelm.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 31/05/2013
October 20, 2016
I could watch this film over and over again. I am extremely interested in collaboration of music artist. I enjoyed all the settings, character portrayals, costumes, and more! What a wonderful film!