The Great Gatsby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Gatsby Reviews

August 17, 2018
Magnifique -grandiose
August 5, 2018
a better if u already read the book
½ August 4, 2018
for some point, i think this movie is fine, but for the long mount of data just come to you at the same time for a whole movie, i think this movie is kinda chaos, in not good way, acting is also not that satisfied as i expect. so yeh, 3.5 is ok.
July 10, 2018
The american dream can't be described in any other way than this, it's also very beautiful in sense of emotions and music, the actors style is very well put together.
June 18, 2018
For a movie about which I had no, or at least very low, expectations, I walked out of "The Great Gatsby" not just pleasantly surprised. I left immensely entertained, even through the credits. Baz Luhrmann has been known for his visually stunning...err...bores. At last in my opinion. I have a deep disdain for period pieces that use modern music, so at early glances, this seemed like an extended eye roll. However, as I saw more trailers, the more I was intrigued. The good news is, the music wasn't an over-the-top distraction as I thought it might be. At least not after the initial, speedy first 30-45 minute introduction to the characters and premise. Had the movie continued the pace and music, I would have easily hated the film. However, it didn't. The story unfolded as beautifully as the visuals. The music matched the mood. The dialogue, pacing and acting carried through to the unfortunate end. Book-ended by orchestral versions of an older, little-known, yet long-time favorite of mine Gotye song, "Heart's a Mess," I ended up impressed with how well-constructed the soundtrack was around the film, even if it was modern. All-in-all, while I have not read the original source novel, the film was spectacular.
June 14, 2018
I made an account just to review this movie. I'm a senior in high school and I just finished reading the book. The book left me wanting more of Gatsby(I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. The beginning's a bit dull but it picks up pretty quickly) so I bought this movie to watch. I absolutely loved it. How the shots were framed with the fast pace and unique angles, and the music were some of my favorite aspects. This is honestly the best movie I've ever seen. It felt really unique.
June 11, 2018
The Great Gatsby spends more time replicating its time period in a relatable and visually pleasing manner than it does on its characters, and while DiCaprio and Maguire receive praise for their respective roles, many ideas and themes feel either shallow or waisted.
May 24, 2018
Whilst visually dazzling and ambitious in its presentation, this adaptation often is too active and doesn't quite capture the proper tone of the novel.
½ May 21, 2018
This movie was a saccharine, anachronistic piece of crap:)
May 12, 2018
More glamorous than the 1974 version but same great acting. Leonardo DiCaprio did an excellent job of playing the role that Robert Redford mastered. Excellent acting
May 11, 2018
Leo Is Amazing on the Movie Beautiful history LOVEEEEEEEEE And The Oscar for Best Actor Goes To - Leonardo Dicaprio
½ May 1, 2018
Tranne qualche sporadica incoerenza narrativa nella prima parte del film, qualche dialogo non adatto allo schermo e alcune scene piuttosto convenzionali, "Il Grande Gatsby" intrattiene grazie al suo stile unico e personaggi ben caratterizzati. Spettacolari le sequenze durante le feste, coreografate e dirette a meraviglia, con scenografie e costumi incredibili. Le musiche che accompagnano il film sono modernizzate e aggiungono un tocco vintage ma innovativo a tutta la pellicola. Sotto gli aspetti tecnici il film non perde mai colpi, sotto l'aspetto narrativo a volte arranca, ma nel complesso si tratta di un'esperienza solida e fedele al famoso romanzo.
½ April 13, 2018
perhaps more over-the-top than the classic novel, but luhrmann translates his vision convincingly and the leads, especially dicaprio, are idiosyncratic and meaningful.
½ March 19, 2018
Ergh this is awful, one of my favourite novels reduced to a fairground ride of eye popping CGI nonsense. Tobey Maguire wanders around like a moronic Peter Parker who stumbled onto the wrong set, may as well have just let him swing around in his Spidey suit it would have made as much sense. Abysmal.
March 18, 2018
I just watch it lol and it's 2018. I saw a clip on Instagram and wanted to watch it. Literally made me cry. Big plot twist, I just loved it.
March 15, 2018
This movie would be great if it was 300
March 9, 2018
A silly film by a silly director filled to Star wars prequel levels with obvious green screen, ropey cgi, and ott editing decisions. it's robbed of so much of the novel's weight thanks to its flamboyant mounting, but - it does in many ways provide significantly more entertainment value than the book, which is a feat in itself (that shit is boooooring). But honestly, tehre are so many incredibly cringe worthy scenes contained within here that you cant help but think baz luhrmann really believed he could merge moulin rouge with arguablY *the* Great american novel, and that he did not quite succeed.
February 12, 2018
Loved it! And of course, like with all Baz Luhrmann's movies, you should buy the sound track as well . . . soooo good!
½ February 9, 2018
I'm pretty sure I saw this? I don't think I was super impressed.