The Guest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guest Reviews

½ April 12, 2017
I don't usually like thrillers, but I liked this film. It's slick and mysterious. Dan Stevens gives us hints that all may not be well without actually saying so. I found myself constantly reevaluating the evidence given.
½ April 9, 2017
The best kind of midnight movie. Cheesy fun with good thrills. Dan Stevens is great.
April 8, 2017
What in the world???? I do love Dan Stevens and the music was great, but the plot...not sure about that one!
April 6, 2017
Okay, if you can ignore the absolute silliness of a family mourning the loss of their soldier son *casually inviting* a TOTAL STRANGER to stay with them, then this film is a TON of fun and well worth a look.

It sports a great synth-y, '80s styled score, has some great lines and a ton of fun violence as we start to learn more about our mystery man lead, who is naturally not exactly who he claims to be - what's not to love?

Recommended.
April 4, 2017
The Guest, from the creators of You're Next. The Guest is one of the biggest surprises of this year. This movie is very stylish as boasting enough intelligence of it's darkly violent thrills. It hearkens back to the 80's action and horror, like as 'The Terminator'. A fantastic performance from Dan Stevens as the mysterious guest, and a 80's inspired soundtrack from the film. This movie is funny, scary, and thrilling, all blended into one that feels like a comical adventure than a straight up typical horror film. The Guest offers another addition to genre fans from the director Adam Wingard.
March 28, 2017
Think Drive meets a 90s horror movie and you have one of the most bad ass, cool, and entertaining movies of 2014
March 18, 2017
The film is not thrilling at all but it's very Entertaining. Dan Stevens' performance is brilliant and the 80's soundtrack is enjoyable. The ending is a bit cliched though.
February 28, 2017
Good, really shit ending
February 27, 2017
A fresh take on an old trope. This film pays homage to 80s thriller while being smart enough to garner it's indie status.
½ February 21, 2017
A tense and thrilling quasi 80's throwback. Adam Wingard continues to prove that he is one of the best genre directors in the business today. Dan Steven gives an incredible nuanced performance to a character that could have easily become a boring cliche. To put it simply The Guest is how thrillers should be done.
February 18, 2017
It was okay. Dan Stevens was very hot, but other than that, I found myself bored.
½ February 16, 2017
Not a terrible movie, but not all that interesting either. Watch it once and decide for yourself.
½ February 16, 2017
Great first part but turns very unbelievable in the second half
½ February 2, 2017
"The Guest" is an unexpectedly good thriller that is full of surprises. It starts off as a heartwarming film about a former soldier who wants to help the family of his fallen best friend. His methods of aiding the family are questionable but we quickly cheer him on as we see his actions making a meaningful difference for this nice family. As the story unfolds, the underlying mystery behind the main character's true identity escalates exponentially until things spiral out of control. This film gets pretty crazy but remains completely believable because of a strong setup from the beginning. The casting is perfect with Dan Stevens perfectly embodying the fit, intimidating military man. He delivers his dialogue in a way that always sounds sincere but also makes us question his motives. Maika Monroe is great opposite of him as she blends admiration with suspicion. Lance Reddick (you'll recognize him from "Lost") has the perfect look for the head of a government agency. The script is clever, the situation feels authentic, and the action will keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. "The Guest" didn't receive a lot of fanfare when it was in theaters but this is a film that will engage you from the very start and leave you satisfied in the end.
January 26, 2017
dan stevens is someone 2 watch on my radar from now on gr8 performance here
½ January 18, 2017
genre master Adam Wingard.
½ January 9, 2017
Adam Wingard's The Guest breathes new life into the horror genre thanks to it's sleek direction, stellar and smart writing, and Dan Steven's dark and thrilling performance
½ December 28, 2016
I really liked 3/4 of this movie. It's different, & what I was predicting before I watched it was way off. Dropped my rating due to the lame ending. I was really expecting more. Loved the rest of the film though, & I would definitely recommend it.
½ December 26, 2016
Dan Stevens' chilling yet equally charming portrayal of David makes this movie a great watch. Definitely add this one to your Netflix list!
December 20, 2016
This movie turned out to be much better than I expected... And Dan Stevens is fantastic as a bad boy...:)