The Guest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guest Reviews

June 15, 2018
A horror flick mixed with the pace of a thriller and just a pinch of slasher gore make this low-budget movie a great watch!
June 5, 2018
The emperor has no clothes moment....I'm not sure if people are reviewing the right movie because this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Terrible acting, terrible directing, a few hours of my life I will never get back.
May 13, 2018
Yeah thought it was tight, didn't really know what sorta film this is but it was entertaining
May 11, 2018
Good movie with an unexpected ending.
½ February 26, 2018
Adam Wingard's slow-burning thriller is bold, brutal and demented, thriving with dark and violent thrills, an investing script, beautiful cinematography, incredible music, and a stunning, yet piercing performance from Dan Stevens.
February 19, 2018
Nothing new here, so the 89% score is really weird. I guess the critics really wanted to like this movie (or least its director, since half of them mention what a hot talent he is). But there's very little here that's impressive in any way. The star performance is good. Everyone else is decent. It's watchable. But don't sit there waiting for this movie to take off. It never does.
½ February 6, 2018
Wingard follows You're Next with another atmospheric film that doesn't hold back. Stevens is the central and brooding figure who is either not what he seems or a twisted psychopath. The films strengths are the visual and music beats, Wingard nails both in what would be an otherwise boring affair in another filmmakers hands. The film has that uncomfortable balance of keeping you on the edge of the seat while also hoping Stevens character doesn't die, such a fine balance in a film of this nature. This won't appeal to everyone but this a very strong cult film that deserves an audience. 07-02-2017.
½ February 4, 2018
A very predictable movie with a terrible ending. The plot isn't unique, re a guest misrepresenting his intentions. The acting is ok, but nothing special. There's nothing about this movie that truly stands out or makes you say "Wow".
½ December 26, 2017
Piccolo e sottovalutato film dalla trama interessante, ricca di colpi di scene e cambiamenti inaspettati. Il punto di forza del film sicuramente l'attore protagonista, interpretato e diretto alla perfezione, riesce perfettamente nell'intento di trasmettere ansia e tensione lungo tutta la durata del film. Il perfetto bilanciamento dei personaggi ed una sceneggiatura funzionale, concreta e ridotta all'osso rendono il ritmo della pellicola molto vivace e mai noioso. Le scene d'azione non saranno le migliori che io abbia mai visto, ma per quello che devono trasmettere funzionano in modo discreto. Nel complesso si tratta di un buon film che eleva il potenziale di un regista in costante crescita.
November 16, 2017
Sort of Bad Bourne - but less good
November 4, 2017
great soundtrack, great horror flick too
October 24, 2017
"The Guest"
"This review is spoiler free"
Hehehe! :D This movie is one of a kind, guys! I don't even know what I'm watching as the film progresses...
The Film has 3 Acts, First Act was very mysterious, and puzzling, and I like that in most movies...But In the Second Act, It Gets A Little Tense and Full of Action...AND OH! The Third Act, It's A Lot Weirder Than Ever, It's Like "WTF! am I watching right now"...
Movies like this are somewhat rare and I appreciate those kind of vibe in a movie...the film has a weird way of delivering its content, along with the soundtrack, the phasing, & the storytelling...And it just works for me :D
For that I rate the film a 9 out of 10 :)
½ October 15, 2017
Fun and just as satisfying as YOU'RE NEXT, this action thriller wastes no time and never takes itself too seriously.
October 1, 2017
There isn't much to say about this film, the acting is okay, the story is average at best. There isn't anything original, the idea is pretty cool but executed badly. The action is pretty great, and there are some bits that shock you, overall too generic for me. Moral of the story, be careful who you let in your house.
½ September 19, 2017
Fun action film that keeps you on the edge of your seat and half way through you still do not know who you are rooting for.
½ September 16, 2017
This is a quality modern mystery-suspense-thriller. Right from the get-go, Dan Stevens is mesmerising as the genial, deferential, but creepy, stranger-drifter-ex-army-man who turns up, uninvited and unexpected, at the door of a fallen-comrade-in-arms family home. Without spoiling anything, what really works here is Stevens balanced performance as someone who is on the surface genuinely likeable, and clearly has some genuine loyalty and decency towards others - even if it is clearly driven predominantly by a mysterious self-preserving ulterior motive - coupled with the lingering and palpable feeling that something just isn't quite right with this man. The well developed mystery is what really grips you here, and it wouldn't work if the supporting cast and characters weren't realistic, likeable, or relatable, which they most certainly are, boltered by terrific performances by each and every actor/actress, especially Dan Stevens, with that distinct southern style pronunciation and slight drawl in his inflected speech. 4.5/5*
August 17, 2017
I really am not sure how this got a 90% rating.

My belief in myself as a decent judge of film is completely gone as from start to finish I perceived this film to be terrible.

There is no character development whatsoever, the "protagonists" of the film being the brother and sister literally never exchange dialogue throughout the whole film yet are supposed to have a fairy tale ending together as the loving remnants of a family.

This family has some serious issues, within 2 minutes of the film David was admitted to a couple of days stay in this household, meanwhile I don't know who anyone is.

Sure the "tough guy beating up people who are mean [to kids]" act was cool, it was great to see an attractive guy who can fight, really never been done before.

There is an attempt at a plot twist, it falls on its face. Then the process of switching protagonists and antagonists around are confusing and straight up dreadful, especially with the "cliffhanger" "shocking" "dubble you tee eff" ending which was thrown in.

I get this was fairly low budget, but considering that, there is still nothing in this movie. I walked in expecting a brainless action film, except I got a brainless... some action... non-film.
I need some enlightenment because I missed a huge upside to this movie, like a 4.5 star rating upside, because I rate this 1/10.
½ August 16, 2017
Not what I expected and not really explained fully but in the end it kept me interested.
August 14, 2017
A masterpiece, this film has it all, the tension, the interesting characters, the amazing set pieces, the soundtrack, I could go on and on and on, this movie knocks it out of the park in every single aspect.
August 13, 2017
From great blockbusters like X-Men: Days of Future Past or Guardians of the Galaxy, to incredibly Oscar contenders like Bidrman or Whiplash, the year of 2014 was a pretty solid one for cinema as a whole. Sadly, it's films like The Guest that end up going under the radar when it rightfully should've received just as much attention as any of those. Yes, this is a film for a much more specific audience, but as the years have gone on, I don't hear of many people looking back on it. Looking back on The Guest, it not only just holds up, but it still remains one of the best films to be released that year. Here is why you should turn your attention to this film if you haven't already.

From the very beginning, you feel as though you're watching an unconventional film. Even though the simple premise of a visitor being welcomed into a home, only to not be what he seems is a little been-there-done-that, The Guest flips this concept on its head, keeping you engaged from start to finish. The premise really is that simple too, making you get comfortable with David and all that his character stands for, only to pull the rug out from under you throughout the third act. This is a light-hearted film that very quickly spirals into a dark, genre-bending picture by the time the third act hits. The Guest is a movie that isn't afraid to mess with your mind.

The biggest takeaway when watching this movie, is the fact that David plays off each and every one of the characters as if he truly has a working/growing relationship with them. Making them believe things and becoming very close to them, you really feel for certain characters when they reach a certain fate. I truly found myself in awe by the turns this film takes and how brutal it becomes when characters betray one another. Although you're very much invested in Dan Stevens' performance as David, the film pretty much makes the secondary cast the flies on the wall, trying to uncover his secrets, just as you as an audience member are. By the time the third act hits, you realize why this film has demanded your attention.

Most films sputter out and lose gas by the time their climax hits, usually being the weakest portion of the film, but The Guest is definitely an exception to that notion. From awesome chase sequences, to fantastic action, to character arcs that will have you applauding, to the visceral no-holds-barred attempt to make your jaw drop, this is a film that holds nothing back. The vivid colours, along with the pulse-pounding soundtrack/score throughout this finale are the true stars, immersing you in this world. If you find yourself becoming attached to any of these characters throughout the course of the movie, I can guarantee that you'll be emotionally charged throughout this act.

In short, The Guest is a film that goes from hardcore drama, to mystery flick, to all-out action, to some absolutely jaw-dropping moments. Never issuing itself a dull moment, keeping the pace just right, the sheer atmosphere that this film creates is eerie and powerful. I never once found myself checking the time while watching this movie. This is the way to make a film. On a very low budget, with an incredibly devoted cast, having some very memorable music to help progress its story, and direction that is out of this world, The Guest is not a film to be missed. Sadly, it has been over the years and I can't recommend it enough. It does showcase some violent imagery and I would only recommend it to very mature audiences, but this is one of the most impressive pieces of cinema throughout this decade so far. This is just my opinion, but I absolutely love every second of this movie. The ending will most definitely bother some viewers, but that's the beauty of film, right?