The Guest Reviews

• May 24, 2019

I was rooting for David all the way through. He seemed like such a nice young man.

• Jan 06, 2019

it was pretty good, i listen to the soundtrack alot and frequently go back to watch it. dan stevens is excellence as an ex military psychopath, his motive is left unclear but i heard from an interview with writer Simon Barrett that the intention was to have the exposition be vauge ( source is the redlettermedia "re-view" of The Guest with SImon Barrett

• Nov 09, 2018

Such an odd film, for 2/3rd's it's a fairly solid thriller. Mysterious figure inserts himself into family setting, all is not what it seems and to be honest it's fairly enjoyable. The last third though is absolutely all over the shop, the film suddenly isn't sure if it's 'The Terminator', 'Jason Bourne' or some dodgy B flick horror and some of the acting just jarringly in scenes is so absurd you nearly burst out laughing. Are they taking this seriously or are some of the actors just taking the piss at points?!

• Oct 31, 2018

I'd put off watching this as I wasn't really interested in the pitch. Mistake. It's great. Although tonally all over the place and getting progressively sillier, it's well acted, well written and it works. Highly recommended.

• Sep 07, 2018

I'm bothering to write a review which I rarely do but in this case I felt compelled cause I think the movie is really bad

• Aug 31, 2018

The only good thing about this film is the soundtrack. Everything else is garbage. Horrible script. Terrible acting. Nonsensical, idiotic plot. Bland cinematography. Laughable action sequences. Also annoying is the fact that David (Dan Stevens) is a poor attempt at Ryan Gosling's character in Drive; everything from his appearance to his mannerisms. Terrible film. Even the short 99 minute run-time felt excruciating.

• Aug 17, 2018

A mysterious and creative movie which full of surprise. Recommended!

A mysterious and creative movie which full of surprise. Recommended!

• Jul 08, 2018

Take The Terminator, mix it with some Drive and sprinkle in a little bit of Psycho, and you have the tense thriller that is The Guest. Dan Stevens plays a discharged soldier (David) who arrives on the doorstep of his fallen friends family. Having promised that he would look in on them, he finds they aren't dealing well with the death of their son. Mrs. Peterson's distraught, Mr. Peterson is drinking and frustrated at work, the little brother has bullies, and the sister is coping in her own way. After agreeing to stay for a little while, at Mrs. Peterson's insistence, David's calm and charming demeanor starts to have an effect on the family. All seems to be looking up until strange things start happening. How well do the Petersons know who is staying in their house? This movie is so stylistically fun, and I have no interest in giving anything away. I watched this movie knowing literally nothing about it other than the genre, and I'm so happy that's I got it see it. I understand that doesn't make for a great review, but I will say, Dan Stevens is commanding on screen, I don't think I've seen anything else from him but I understand why he has been cast as The Beast in the Disney live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast. Highly recommend this for those of you who like the feeling of hair standing up on the back of your neck.

• Jul 08, 2018

A slasher horror with a touch of comedy! Really enjoyed every moment of it!

A slasher horror with a touch of comedy! Really enjoyed every moment of it!

• Jun 15, 2018

A horror flick mixed with the pace of a thriller and just a pinch of slasher gore make this low-budget movie a great watch!