The Happytime Murders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Happytime Murders Reviews

½ April 19, 2019
Probably not quite the train wreck that the reviews have implied, but generally forgettable. It does try to be something, but it also feels surprisingly tame, and 5 or 10 years behind the times. This sort of humour has been mined a lot, and very little new is brought to the table here.
½ April 14, 2019
Has it's flaws but still funny.
April 10, 2019
Muppets gone bad, not as bad as meeting the Febles but more adult then the fluffy Muppets.. Has it's glory moments but not so many thst it's a keeper..
½ April 2, 2019
One of the best murder mysteries in recent memory.

From start till finish I was hooked, and the ending was totally not lame at all. I'm struggling to gasp why this was so poorly received. Maybe it's too smart for them? Or maybe the critics are being paid from Marvel to trash the movie, because that has to be the reason, right?

Anywhere, Melissa McCarthy is absolutely amazing in this movie. A comedic genius with hidden details in her character. My only issue with McCarthy performance, which is a small bitchy nitpick by the way, but I wished she fell over more to add an extra laugh in my miserable life. Of course that's one complain that unfortunately stops it from being a 6/5, but it still stands at a 5/5, so yeah.

Everything else on a technical stand point is flawless. I love how the movie looks with it being overly light and no way dose it look like a cheap TV movie on Netflix. Detective Phil Philips is so relatable as a character and more down to earth than any human. He might be my new favorite character of all time, right behind Dylan from 'Fateful Findings'.

Brian Henson, well done - I'm proud of you.

EDIT: April fools!
April 2, 2019
I love Melissa McCarthy. She's a true favorite of mine, but this movie was just horrible.
½ March 29, 2019
What could have been so much and a continuation of his father's legacy, happy time divulges into gross out gags and crude puppets.
½ March 21, 2019
a terrible deadpool wannabe with a flimsy story and unfunny jokes to top it
March 15, 2019
Gets Better As The Story Builds,,With Some Totally Over The Top Scenes, Which Some Are Classic Comedy. The Puppets Themselves Have Undeveloped Storylines Other Than 1-2 Lead Characters, There Would Be Easily Room For A Sequel, However This Is So Poorly Put Together (Storywise) & Thus Rates Pretty Poorly, I Doubt There Will Be Another. Would Be A Pity If This Is The Case As Alluded To Above, There Is A Wealth Of Material / Laughs To Be Had.
March 5, 2019
I can honestly say that I am surprised I didn't dislike this movie more. It's far from being a good film, but I didn't think it was as bad as it was hyped up to be.

If you take The Happytime Murders and remove the puppets it would just be a run of the mill late night comedy. I doubt we'd even be talking about it because it's kind of dull, and tame. Adding puppets into this tired story didn't really even make it better. I mean there is no bite to this. It feels like they decided to make a muppets movie but with some lewd jokes, and not actually that many. In fact, the lewdest stuff all had to do with bodily fluids, which is already a cliche of late night comedy. I thought that with Henson behind this they would have taken the time to satirize the muppets, and sesame street, all the things that were their bread and butter but seem to have fallen through the cracks in the new generation of TV and movies. Yet, I think that already exists with Meet The Feebles. They love making Muppet movies where they go on the road, why not make a Road Trip style comedy where four Puppets go on a drug-fueled sex crazed road trip. I mean it would have been better than this.

So, in the end, The Happytime Murders are not as bad as I thought but the remain tame and far from good. You're still better off skipping this one.
½ February 26, 2019
Not great. Not for kids. Love Melissa but this movie missed it's mark.
February 26, 2019
If you can willingly suspend your disbelief in living muppets in this alternate universe, this movie is huge fun.
February 24, 2019
Wow.

Who is gonna think of the world of puppets with the discriminating race with mystery and fun.

This discrimination is to be seek by capitalists.

Marx would be the capitalistic for this world of puppets.

Beauty.
Piece of ART.
½ February 18, 2019
I expected to laugh more but it didn´┐ 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)t happen. As always Mellisa McCarthy was hilarious. Overall it was ok........
February 18, 2019
If i could make a negative 5 rating i would. This is an awful show.
It takes the wonderful muppets and degrades them to low levels of depravity. It lacks wit, charm, and talent.
February 16, 2019
The Funtime Murders - Take no heed of the "critics" (hmmm) This has to be thw most underrated movie ever
Take it for what it is. A liggt hearted fun movie but be warned : It's definitely not one for the kids! This is thee funniest movie I have seen in a long long time. Very clever humor. Well worth watching.
½ February 16, 2019
There was just enough here to have me revisit this world...
February 13, 2019
Hilarious but raunchy! I laughed my ass off! There were scenes it couldn't have been done if they weren't using puppets.
½ February 2, 2019
I absaloutly hate this film, those puppets ruined my childhood
½ January 31, 2019
I have to admit that movie was pretty ridiculous. I mean there were some good comedy parts throughout film that made me laugh, but as for the rest of the film, I was more laughing at the film than with it. And because of that as well as writing/story of the film, I'm kind of disappointed. I mean seriously, this film could have been a blockbuster comedy, but instead what could've been something awesome turned out to be something silly/ridiculous. However, I'm not too completely disappointed because there are worse films out there (The Emoji Movie, Michael Bay films, films that Adam Sandler stars in, etc.). Also, I have to give the people behind this film credit for their work and coming up with the insane concept of making an R-Rated muppet film because it's not too often you get to see this on the big screen. And who knows we may never get to see these types of films happen again. So for that, I give Happytime Murders a 5/10.