The Hateful Eight Reviews

• Oct 12, 2020

One of my favorite, if not my favorite Tarantino movie. The soundtrack helped a lot. The time setting helped a lot. The "whole movie happens in a cabin" helped a lot. Just an overall great experience.

• Oct 08, 2020

With The Hateful Eight, Quentin Tarantino proves to any doubters that he is a technical master of his craft. From the stunningly effective 70mm cinematography to Ennio Morricone's beautiful score to the brilliant acting to the economical staging, the movie is a wonder from a technical perspective. In typical Tarantino fashion, the script is witty and clever but, as great as the dialogue is, it is seemingly endless and ultimately detracts from the story. There is no way that this should run for almost three hours. This is unfortunate because when watched in little digestible chunks, it's a joy. When watched in its entirety, it becomes a bit of a slog.

• Sep 20, 2020

An intimate masterpiece.

An intimate masterpiece.

• Sep 16, 2020

This is one favorite Quentin Tarantino movies and one of my favorite movies. Tarantino make great use of 70mm film on this movie, he shows off the beautiful and foreboding snow covered Wyoming mountains. He also uses split diopter shots many time this can create a great affect. The movie, like all of Tarantino's filmography, is very quotable. The characters are amazingly written and the story always keeps you at the edge of your seat up until the thrilling finale.

• Sep 01, 2020

Has everything you expect from Tarantino- bloody violence, witty dialogue, suspenseful and exciting sequences. The end came across as a little bit excessive and mean spirited. Not my favorite of his filmography but it still is worth a watch

• Sep 01, 2020

Beside Deathproof, this is probably Tarantino's least compelling work. Once you got through that first hour, the movie really got going, but boy was that first hour torture.

• Aug 31, 2020

Graphic homosexual act / assault was grotesque and uncalled for.

Graphic homosexual act / assault was grotesque and uncalled for.

• Aug 23, 2020

Looks like Tarantino has been spending too much time in Hollywood around sycophants. It had potential but wasn't worth the time

• Aug 15, 2020

This movie was interesting and I was very surprised with the film.

This movie was interesting and I was very surprised with the film.

Lanning L Super Reviewer
    Aug 08, 2020

If you've read anything else I've written about Tarantino, you know I'm not right up there as one of his biggest fans. For one thing, I don't care for his sense of humor. I also don't care for his exuberant, almost juvenile use of violence. <p> I watched this movie because I'm a huge Kurt Russell fan. And you know what? I've not laughed that much at a movie in a good long while. I mean, I don't like to think that gore is the center of my humor universe, but the gory moments in this movie were often -- not always by any means -- hilarious. <p> The acting is terrific too. That's another thing you'll not see me say often about a Tarantino movie. Mostly, I believe, his movies find success not because of their acting or their scripts, but because people like Tarantino's artificially contrived time sequence shifts and his gore. Lots of gore. Well, sire, I loved the time sequence shift in this movie. It was appropriate and, well, timely. I've already talked about the gore. <p> True, there are enough truly tragic deaths in this movie to match many a tragic movie, but the overpowering strength of the humor in this movie wins the day. This doesn't mean I'm all of a sudden a big Tarantino fan. Interesting how he chooses to tell you up front what number movie this is he's made. It's like a brag. Either that, or it's a plea that he needs to make so you won't forget his prior work, perhaps.