The Hedgehog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hedgehog Reviews

½ September 3, 2016
A film of great charm and warmth, telling a tale slowly and gently, a big story on a very small stage.

There is a biting social criticism behind the story, about the superficiality of rich people and their inability to see the dignity, indeed the lives, of those who are 'less' or different, but it is played deftly, by actors who do the job rather than say they are doing the job and direction which respects intelligence.

Would=be child actors (and their parents) might learn much from the girl in this film, her vivacity, her projection of intelligence by being intelligent rather than just acting smart. There is also a cross cultural element. I will say no more, other than that if you are not warmed and made thoughtful; by it, I'll give you at best one star :-)
May 15, 2016
The love between very unlikely characters is beautifully portrayed in this film. Love goes beyond the conventional, self-centered love between two persons, to the many subtle layers of true love & friendship in this film. This is the only film to have ever made me laugh in one moment, & cry in the next .. Paloma's insights on life & people is brilliant too. Most of all, this is one of the few films that could depict the development of friendship & love with more gestures than words, more silence than sounds, to fill your heart. Enjoy.
½ April 10, 2016
adored the book and the movie was a rare one that did its mama proud. there are probably bits a viewer misses without the background and all the thoughts of RenĂ (C)e, but for the most part, it tells the same story.
½ March 21, 2016
Pleasant and warm and just a tiny bit eccentric. Filled with lovely little details that made me smile.
Great music. Cinematography is lovely. The acting is wonderful.
But that ending though... sigh...
½ July 4, 2015
Poignant, funny, moving French film.
December 10, 2014
A fortunate find on Sundance Channel after waking up in the middle of the night and not able to get back to sleep. Definitely as good as the book.
September 21, 2014
I'm surprised, in retrospect, that I'd never heard of this one. It's really good. really good acting. I could watch Josiane Balasko all day - she's so expressive, and ...honest? She's clearly a master of human body language.
½ April 19, 2014
Superb! I wish American films could be this good....I suppose I will have to learn to speak French.... I Don't mind subtitles...but sometimes I feel I loose some of the meaning by not being able to understand the language of the film. Still, this was an intellectual and stimulating film that reminded me of my own childhood. While I can't say I found it hopeful, as many reviewers have sweetly suggests that our perceptions determine our reality.
½ April 13, 2014
film simple mais touchant. Balasko's performance is remarkable.
April 1, 2014
very good film. WAY better than the book
½ February 19, 2014
"The Hedgehog" starts with 11-year old Paloma(Garance Le Guillermic) filming herself talking about killing herself on her twelfth birthday in about 165 days. In the meantime downstairs, Renee(Josiane Balasko), the concierge, goes about her daily business. So, as one old tenant dies, Kakuro(Togo Igawa) arrives to take his place, along with a love of literature.

Well, you certainly have to give "The Hedgehog" this much. As unique as it is, equally combining sweetness and darkness, the movie gets right to the heart of the matter by grabbing the viewer's attention right away and gently never letting go. Overall, with its references to multiple art forms, including literature, movies and painting, the movie is about the imagination, with a character at the center who has an overactive one while ironically not being able to imagine much of a future for herself, just as Kakuro and Renee indirectly remind her that it may never be too late. At the same time, the viewer has to use his imagination to think about what Paloma's life may be outside of the apartment building where the movie is entirely set except for a brief visit to the cleaners. Not that it is her fault, but I think her depression comes from being bullied on the playground, as her kind of precociousness and weirdness never go over well there. Plus, we never see any friends in the apartment.
½ January 5, 2014
Prepare yourself for a feels trip
½ December 28, 2013
Sometimes it's the way one bites into life that makes all the difference.
December 27, 2013
Intelligent, mysterious, humorous - filled with artful and deeply human characters who's lives intertwine and draw new meaning together.
December 13, 2013
Honestly the greatest movie I have ever seen.
½ December 5, 2013
Interesting, amusing, and ultimately touching philosophical journey, from that truest perspective of childhood, finding the importance of love among the hypocrisies of life.
December 3, 2013
Absolutely captivating movie. Highly recommended.
½ November 4, 2013
A delicate touch to depict three magic souls--A fine blend of gravity and lightness!!
½ October 20, 2013
A lovely, wonderful, touching little film about the meaning of how we live our lives with excellent performances by young Garance Le Guillermic and Josiane Balasko. This type of film is what the French do as no others can.
October 20, 2013
A lovely film (based on the book) that takes place in Paris, about the unlikely relationships between a precocious 11-year old, a surly concierge who is not who she appears to be, and an aging Japanese businessman. Touching, whimsical, and oh-so-French in the best way imaginable. Loved it. Can't wait to read the book now.