The Housemaid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Housemaid Reviews

August 6, 2017
An inferior remake of the renowned original in 1960 that is an unabashed flaunting of sex and male chauvinism in a revenge story of the titular femme fatale concluding in a hammy showdown and a baffling final act.
July 7, 2017
Very intriguing film with a dramatic ending. You will be glued to your seat!
June 9, 2017
Promising start, confusing ending
½ January 30, 2017
Viene identificato come un thriller sexy, in realt c' poco di thriller (la storia l bella spiattellata e non c' molto da intuire) e di sexy c' qualche scena hot ma manca lo charme e quel detto non detto, i giochi di sguardi etc etc, in tal senso l'unica scena degna di nota quella nel poster, ovvero lei vestita da cameriera che pulisce la vasca.
Bastava una sufficienza, ma il finale con lei che brucia a mo di "giobia" fa cadere il voto.
October 18, 2016
Some motives never come to light and the conclusion was so unbelievable that I laughed out loud, but Im's remake of the "The Housemaid" is a graceful thriller that takes it's time but never takes advantage of your time.
July 28, 2016
It is a very slow movie, it is always clear what is going to happen in the current scene but you won't expect the next one and the ending
½ February 1, 2016
good suspenser but I prefer this original classic 1960 version
October 30, 2015
Stupid. Boring. Tedious. I wanted to kill myself after watching.
October 25, 2015
The modern harem rivalry drama.
September 26, 2015
Probably the most interesting camera angles and scenes were the most unrelated part to the entire movie, which was the first 5 minutes to the show. While the movie has so much potential to unveil what lies beneath the glamorous wealth family's life, the director chose to just skim a little of the top. Which well, probably enough to thought provoke and leave behind some chilly feeling on a hot summer day.
July 31, 2015
i get it- i just dont care enough to finish it
½ April 3, 2015
Sexy and strange but a bit slow-moving.
March 28, 2015
enjoyed it..while left both sympathetic and angry..
½ March 27, 2015
Was enjoying it until the final bizarre last 10 mins where shit got crazy!
½ September 17, 2014
an interesting little drama that had me sacked into it from the start. it's a bit on the slow is side but it is intriguing throughout. I was surprised at the outcome when the climax happened and am happy with the whole completion of the movie. not a bad little watch.
½ June 24, 2014
Slick erotic remake.
May 25, 2014
Really soapy, and kind of loses me with the ending, but solid up until then.
½ March 27, 2014
This review contains no spoilers.

Whatever your first impression of the title of this movie is wrong. This is a tragic drama of course revolving around a housemaid. It is again another fine piece of work from the Korean cinema. The theme is around one of the classic human-relationship problems.

The movies has excellent performances all around and benefits from actors such as Lee Jung-Jae (New World) and Jeon Do-yeon (Secret Sunshine). Character building is quite adequate with Hae-ra's mom shaping up very quickly. Eun-yi's (Jeon Do-yeon) character get more expressive progressively. I must say the most interesting and most complex character is that of the butlress and Yeo-jeong Yoon does a fine job of acting them at each turn.

The score of the movie is an originnal pieces of classical-style and deserves appreciation as such. This is one of the many things that Koreans have mastered so well.

You'll love the cinmetagrophy as well however I found that some of the shots (tracking, hi-angled) were unnecessary. The score, the acting and the plot carry the movie forward so powerfully that nothing else seems to be needed. The settings and the snowey grounds definitely helped.

To me the movie or the story seemed to have another hidden conclusion. And that is the messge of inevitability in life. At times and under circumstances a few steps can seal your fate forever. You can fight to change this slightly but you can change the direction of where the life is taking you.

Overall if you like dramas I strongly recommend this well-executed movie.
March 2, 2014
Had heaps of potential, but quite disappointing in the end. The movie was set up for something quite profound, but just fell away at the end. Almost all the characters are incredibly loathsome, which doesn't help your engagement to the movie.
January 29, 2014
It's trying so hard to be something it's not that it loses sight of what it could be