The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 Reviews

December 7, 2017
I have a lot of problems with this movie, particularly the ending. First, I wasn't clear whether Gale constructed the bomb that killed Prim or whether he was the one who came up with the idea of the bombing. If it is the former, then it is ridiculous to blame him for Prim's death. Bombs are created to kill people in war, and he had no idea or way of knowing it would kill someone on his side, much less Katniss's own sister, who he swore to protect. If that is the story line, then I lost all respect for Katniss for sending him away for that reason after all he did for her and sacrificed to protect her family. It would have been much more tolerable if she just told him the truth that she didn't love him the way she loves Peeta and that Peeta represents hope and all that is good in life, whereas Gale is a rebel and a reminder of bad memories of war and the death of her sister. I think she made the right choice because she is a better match with Peeta, but she showed a complete lack of gratitude to Gale for all that he had been through for her. She could have at least had the courage to tell him the truth about her feelings rather than using the excuse of a bomb that he may or may not have built. If, on the other hand, the latter is true (that Gale came up with the idea of the bombing in the first place), then I find that completely out of line with his character. He previously said that he could live with a few civilian casualties if it was for the greater good of destroying the capitol. I can't imagine that he would have ever condoned dropping a bomb deliberately on the refugees, including children, as they walked into the capitol, especially after how we have seen him as a protector of Katniss's family. He would have supported attacking President Snow, and could have lived with some civiilian casualties, but to say that he would concoct an idea to drop bombs on refugees is just totally out of line with who we got to know in the previous movies. Secondly, I thought it was a terrible way to end the movie by having Katniss kill President Coin. If she killed Coin out of fear of her getting too much power, then why didn't she instead vote no on the Hunger Games when she was given the opportunity and then proceed to try to overthrow Coin by legal means rather than by killing? Katniss, who often seems reluctant to kill people of the opposing side because she sees the good in them, determines that killing Coin is the only way to remedy a bad situation? Could she not have stood up to her and organized the people to do a fair election? I like to think she could have at least tried and probably been successful since she has the support and respect of the rebels. Killing Coin was a cowardly and cheap way out, something she didn't have the courage to do to President Snow, who caused her much more harm. And, if she killed her simply to get revenge for Prim, then what kind of leader is she? Is that what the heroine of the story represents - revenge and anger? What she did was premeditated murder because she voted yes on the Hunger Games with a plan in mind all along that she was going to kill Coin rather than Snow. It's so ironic that she was fighting to liberate the people from Snow and yet instead of using the newfound freedom to rise up and select a new leader of their, own she resorted to violence. I find this to be the most disappointing from a character that I thought more of.
November 16, 2017
Overall, entertaining film, but there are very powerful instances which occur in the novelization which are simply glossed over in the film. Lawrence and Hutcherson give very emotional and powerful performances. There are instances where if you hadn't read the book, you will be pleasantly surprised. The pacing of the movie was bad, the storytelling was disorganised as they mulled over very climatic events. Id say this would be the worst out of Hunger Games series.
November 15, 2017
Excelente final, el mejor para la saga. Es una cinta seria y cruda, muestra lo que una guerra puede hacer.
November 11, 2017
While the ending is terrible like in the book. Solid performances and great action sequences redeem the film.
October 16, 2017
This is a slow and tedious movie, way too long and really boring. The only positives are the performances by the already established cast and few of the hunger games style fights sequences on offer, the special effects are sadistically cool. Did enjoy the execution in the end but they had to spoil that too by extending the ending in concluding the love story. Bad end to a mediocre four movie series.
October 8, 2017
This was a very disappointing ending to the series. The action was entertaining and the performances were good but everything else fell flat. For a lot of this movie I was bored and was not satisfied with the ending.

5.7/10
September 27, 2017
The best yet!! I have one problem though!! That it ended!!
½ September 23, 2017
Woah, what an ending! I did not see any flaw in the film. Well done at all levels. Only low are the mutts that seems a bit too willing to die to kill. No animal does that. But they could be under some influence I guess. I liked the style, the story line not too predictable, the ending even if I guessed the shocker, or maybe more because they allowed us to guess it. And the very bucolic epilogue. I am impressed that a young author could have thought of all this, although I haven't read the books. There is an ending that is not a low point!
½ September 19, 2017
Considering it's the finale, it's not even close to being the best one in the series, but it does manage not to be a complete disappointment. If you like the other ones, you might as well see how it all ends.
September 18, 2017
"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2" defiantly finishes the franchise with a bang, no not a bang something even more than that. "Mockingjay Part 2" defiantly gives the fans a more than satisfying conclusion. The plot begins at the same point "Mockingjay Part 1" left off. For all past deaths made as entertainment, and for the insidious modification of Peeta, Katniss deems to strike out on her own to take down President Snow once and for all, but being the Mockingjay, the living symbol of the rebellion now headed by Alma Coin, has its drawbacks. Recognition, for one, and she finds herself saddled with a team of expert warriors (which surprisingly includes the ailing Peeta) aimed to penetrate the Capitol that has barricaded itself behind Hunger-Game-style death traps. As she closes in on carrying out her private agenda through more deaths and mayhem, President Snow himself makes her aware of another threat to peace for Panem equal to himself, leaving her to consider how to truly end the bloodshed.

Once again the director "Francis Lawrence" is very smooth with his style and truly is the perfect director for these films. He again brings very beautiful visuals to the screen with the locations and brings back the "games" in a perfect way. "Jennifer Lawrence" was exceptional as always but in this one she defiantly boosts her performance as a character with PTSD. I can proudly say that this is the best she preformed in the franchise and even up to "Silver Linings" and "Joy" standards. "Josh Hutcherson" is very good in this film as well. Although this is his toughest part in the role yet is defiantly not his best as I liked him a lot better in Mockingjay Part 1. "Sam Claflin" also boosts his game as Finnick Odair and with a lot more screen time then he had in "Mockingjay Part 1". This film has major character development and its amazing to watch on screen. To see where Katniss began at the beginning of the movie to the end blows your mind. But unfortunately the Secondary characters do not have as big character development they still do have some.

You can tell they spent every single penny they had wisely on this film. With an extremely high budget of an estimated $160 Million the special effects are exceptional. The underground lizard mutts where very very well done in terms of CGI as well as the multiple explosions and the avenue of the tributes in snows execution scene. The Original Motion Score composed by James Newton Howard was one of the best in the Franchise. With the multiple standouts being, your favourite colour is green, Sewer Attack, Rebels Attack, Snows Execution and the Medley. Once again the Pace in this film is perfect. The aim when Squad 451 got into the capitol was to make it feel like a ghost town and the pace at that point made it feel so much more like the ghost town they where going for. Then it starts to speed up with the majority of the action scenes in the middle at its climax.

Overall "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2" is a more than satisfying ending to the franchise as it goes out with a bang. With exceptional acting, characters, special effects and a perfect score and almost no flaws apart from small pacing issues near the middle of the film. I give 2015's "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2" a 10/10.
½ September 9, 2017
This was so depressing.
September 7, 2017
the movie is bad, really bad. The dialog is worse than need for speed and many of the cosepts dosent give any sense. Its still a good "action" though
½ September 4, 2017
Controversial opinion... This is my favorite Hunger Games movie.
August 30, 2017
Mockingjay Part 2 is a very dark and grim conclusion the epic franchise. First of all, I wouldn't recommend this movie for kids who haven't seen this movie for a family-fun movie night. Also, if you haven't seen the franchise and don't like gory stuff and jump scares that will make you jump out of your seat, wait for the DVD. Mockingjay delivers a steady storyline throughout the whole movie. It definitely will make you jump out of your seats for some parts. If you cry at movies you'll cry. Jennifer was top notch through the whole movie. Overall it was a good movie.
August 24, 2017
A poor final film - the series finishes with a whimper. Jennifer Lawrence carries this film excellently doing her best to make up for a poor story line, weak action and little engagement.
August 8, 2017
Great ending to the series
August 8, 2017
Slow and slogging with an end that should have been 2 or 3 scenes earlier, the final of the four Hunger Games movies leaves us longing for the original. Hard to believe a series that had two movies that were so captivating could provide a finale that is this tough to get through. Final Score: 5.5/10
July 29, 2017
Amazing wrap-up to a huge franchise...
July 28, 2017
Grim, emotional and fueled by great dystopian action, Mockingjay Part 2 serves as the rightful final chapter in the trilogy.
July 26, 2017
If the movie ending is the same as the books then its Disappointing with a capital D. A strong women only gets her happy ending by getting a man and a baby!