The Imposter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Imposter Reviews

February 21, 2017
Grade - B-
'The Imposter' tells one of the weirdest stories I've ever heard in my life. But even weirder than the story, is that it's true. With excellent direction and beautiful cinematography not normally seen in a docudrama, 'The Imposter' is gripping from start to finish.
February 13, 2017
This is the first movie that's actually blown me away sufficiently to write a review. I want to grab everyone I know and make them watch this. Do yourself a favor and don't read about it, just watch it. It's really, truly a case where truth is wilder than fiction.
February 12, 2017
This had me glued to the screen for the duration. Strong storytelling that adds depth with each twist, I still have no idea what was going on. Giving away too much would be a sin so do yourself a favor and check this documentary out.
February 10, 2017
Omg amazing experience damn that's some crazy stuff I don't trust the family members one bit
January 18, 2017
4/5

The Imposter perfectly balances the reality of the story with the fiction of film, and it is the result of an outstanding vision applied to an even more impressive true story.
January 3, 2017
I recommend taking my five star rating at face value and see this without reading this review. I don't believe there are spoilers, but the less you know the better. It's an incredible documentary that deftly plays the audience with ostensible transparency and openness, and all the while building tension and suspense. Then there is what seems to be the prestige, and you think the trick is over, but then the lights flicker off and on and there is another big reveal followed by mystery. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile.
½ December 5, 2016
It is hard to believe that this shocking, unbelievable true story actually happened, since what begins as an apparently simple case of imposture turns out to be something much more horrific once you look deeper into it - something that must be seen to be believed.
½ November 24, 2016
Creepy documentary. The interviews are real, and that's scary.
½ September 19, 2016
Great subject matter, but too many re-enactments.
½ August 26, 2016
Interesting but very anticlimatic
August 15, 2016
Good watch. Surreal
July 11, 2016
I'm not big on documentaries, but this one reels you in. It's an intense movie that's hard to believe it's a true story.
July 5, 2016
I wish they hadn't given away the impostor thing in the beginning, but the storytelling and suspense creation was masterful. For a documentary, this narrative was really gripping.
June 13, 2016
Unnerving as it is riveting...this documentary tells you what it's about from the title but offers much, much more within its running time.
May 26, 2016
The telling of this tale is purely beautiful: the jump cuts between two different people telling the same story, with their own perception of things adds flavour into the mix. To simply tell someone of these crimes committed in this documentary, is not enough; one really needs to see it for themselves.
May 7, 2016
Jaw-dropping and shocking. The filmmakers did this story justice
½ March 20, 2016
I find it unbelievable that there are people this stupid in the world.
March 20, 2016
riveting and it keeps you guessing
½ February 18, 2016
Disappointingly boring until over an hour into the film.
February 15, 2016
Very interesting true story, definitely recommend this one :)