The Imposter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Imposter Reviews

January 18, 2017
4/5

The Imposter perfectly balances the reality of the story with the fiction of film, and it is the result of an outstanding vision applied to an even more impressive true story.
January 3, 2017
I recommend taking my five star rating at face value and see this without reading this review. I don't believe there are spoilers, but the less you know the better. It's an incredible documentary that deftly plays the audience with ostensible transparency and openness, and all the while building tension and suspense. Then there is what seems to be the prestige, and you think the trick is over, but then the lights flicker off and on and there is another big reveal followed by mystery. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile.
½ December 5, 2016
It is hard to believe that this shocking, unbelievable true story actually happened, since what begins as an apparently simple case of imposture turns out to be something much more horrific once you look deeper into it - something that must be seen to be believed.
½ November 24, 2016
Creepy documentary. The interviews are real, and that's scary.
½ September 19, 2016
Great subject matter, but too many re-enactments.
½ August 26, 2016
Interesting but very anticlimatic
½ August 22, 2016
*** 1/2
'The Imposter' tells one of the weirdest stories I've ever heard in my life. But even weirder than the story, is that it's true. With excellent direction and beautiful cinematography not normally seen in a docudrama, 'The Imposter' is gripping from start to finish.
August 15, 2016
Good watch. Surreal
July 11, 2016
I'm not big on documentaries, but this one reels you in. It's an intense movie that's hard to believe it's a true story.
July 5, 2016
I wish they hadn't given away the impostor thing in the beginning, but the storytelling and suspense creation was masterful. For a documentary, this narrative was really gripping.
June 13, 2016
Unnerving as it is riveting...this documentary tells you what it's about from the title but offers much, much more within its running time.
May 26, 2016
The telling of this tale is purely beautiful: the jump cuts between two different people telling the same story, with their own perception of things adds flavour into the mix. To simply tell someone of these crimes committed in this documentary, is not enough; one really needs to see it for themselves.
May 7, 2016
Jaw-dropping and shocking. The filmmakers did this story justice
½ March 20, 2016
I find it unbelievable that there are people this stupid in the world.
March 20, 2016
riveting and it keeps you guessing
½ February 18, 2016
Disappointingly boring until over an hour into the film.
February 15, 2016
Very interesting true story, definitely recommend this one :)
February 7, 2016
A decent documentary, that turns into a police mystery for the final 30min. Definitely told more from the imposter (Bourdin)'s side, but he never really gives you his motivation/reasoning fro impersonating Nicholas, the Texan teenager... Strange and occasionally gripping, you're still left questioning at the end...
½ January 27, 2016
Even though 'The Imposter' is a documentary film, it still manages to keep you on the edge of your seat, with gripping and tense storytelling and pictures. Director Bart Layton made a mystery without equal into an absolutely fantastic film. Amazing how he managed to display the movie with revealing just enough for the viewers to still be curious regarding the mystery and story throughout the movie. Regardless of the fact that it's a documentary film, it's still so obscene to me that something like this actually happened.
January 16, 2016
Although like Man on a Wire, the man involved is an interesting and charismatic character which makes it interesting to watch, there just isn't much to this. Basically, a guy who always felt abandoned repeatedly would assume false identities in order to escape his own reality. He ends up fooling a family in Texas he is their long lost son/brother. Not much more to that.

It does get a little interesting with the PI who is trying to find the missing kid's body, but that didn't get enough screen time.