The Incredible Hulk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incredible Hulk Reviews

Page 1 of 1992
½ March 20, 2017
The Incredibly Mediocre Hulk.
March 18, 2017
Where do I start with this film. Itīs more of drama than an action film for me personally. I think they should have had more of The Hulk but I get why they didnīt g through this path It has more character development but it could have used more action. Edward Norton was great as Bruce Banner.
March 18, 2017
Underrated. This smashing hit shows what marvel is about! My Score: 81%
½ March 14, 2017
It's so underrated. Has a lot of great moments.
½ March 5, 2017
I really like the action
March 4, 2017
Immensely better than Ang Lee's Hulk, but that's still not really saying much.
½ March 3, 2017
For the 2nd MCU outing, this isn't a bad viewing.
February 26, 2017
This movie wasn't bad, but the cliched plot points and cheesy script take away from the epic action.
February 22, 2017
People say that Ang Lee's "Hulk" (2003) was too "artsy" and "slow". This time around, it's just slow.

Edward Norton, while a good actor, does not make for a good Bruce Banner. To me, it feels out of place having a high calibur actor like that play a role like this. The casting all around was odd, with the talented likes of Tim Blake Nelson, William Hurt & Tim Roth. Liv Tyler was slowly on her way out of stardom at this point, and her acting contributes nothing to the story.

The special effects feel outdated, and the movies not even 10 years old. The Hulk went from looking kind of soft with vibrant coloring (2003) to dark coloring and intense details on his physical attributes, making him look more sickly then threatening.

Overall, there's nothing new here. It's definitely one of the low points in the MCU and even as a Hulk fan, there's just not much there.
February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
February 4, 2017
Everything I wanted in a Hulk movie and so much more! :)
½ January 28, 2017
The Incredible Hulk does a fine job of bringing the rage and energy of the hulk to the big screen, even if the performances are weak and the villain disappointing.
½ January 17, 2017
After Director Ang Lee's (Sense and Sensibility, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) artsy-fartsy take on The Hulk tanked at the box office a few years ago, things looked dire for the big green dude. So what was in order? Recast the franchise, get a new director, and basically pretend the first one never happened. This is a reboot of the Hulk franchise, and it's a credit to the filmmakers that I very much enjoyed this film, given that I have no history of giving a crap about the Hulk or his tendency to smash things. I've always looked on the character with mild disdain, writing him off as a Jekyll & Hyde-type on steroids. But this Hulk kept me entertained from start to finish.

Credit must be given to Edward Norton, whose Bruce Banner is a lonely, tortured soul who struggles to keep the rageful beast within him at bay. Norton makes a sympathetic lead, and he does some fine character work here. Nothing amazing, ala Christian Bale or Robert Downey Jr., but solid nonetheless. Liv Tyler does just fine (though there's sure to be some inexplicable hatred for her by the public...there always is for the love interest in superhero movies! I don't get it. I liked Katie Holmes, Kirsten Dunst, and Kate Bosworth just fine). William Hurt, Tim Roth...the entire cast turns in good performances. The cinematography is excellent (some stuff in Brazil is particularly eye-catching). The pacing is great, and while there is some down-time between Hulk moments, the film doesn't lag. This is a much more somber movie than the crowd-pleasing Iron Man, but the handful of attempts at humor hit the mark just fine.

Most importantly, the film gives you a good dose of Hulk smashing things real good. The CGI on the Hulk is far better than the trailers made me think it'd be (with a few exceptions). The action in this movie is fantastic, visceral, hard-hitting stuff. You truly feel the physical power of the character, and a couple moments startle you with their raw power. The final battle in particular is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the exploration of the villain's motives (villains who think they're doing the right thing are always more interesting), as well as Bruce's desire to control his demons. Good people have a dark side, and bad people often have some virtue left in them, and this movie explores that idea to good effect.

Flaws? Well, being a comic-book movie, you have to suspend disbelief (even within the rules of its own universe) about what's possible or even plausible. Some plot-holes arise (although some are later explained, in the moment I was thinking "wait, what?"). One side character's actions seem like a bit of a stretch. But mostly, any qualms I have stem from the fact that I've been spoiled by excellent superhero movies, like Iron Man and Batman Begins. This is not an excellent superhero movie. It is, however, a very good superhero movie that has some truly rockin' action, solid character work, and good acting. It's more than worth catching in the theatres. (Rated PG-13 for action violence, mild language, and a brief foreplay scene that goes nowhere). ***1/2 (out of five).
January 16, 2017
Not Marvel's best movie and a disappointment after Iron Man but still an entertaining action movie to help start off the MCU. Another lack luster one off villain for marvel. But the ending fight alone is worth your ticket price.
January 6, 2017
Not the best superhero movie but definitely the best Hulk one
January 6, 2017
Norton is great, I like Banner alot more than Hulk in this film. Missing the humor of the other Marvel flicks
January 5, 2017
How could I not want to see Edward Norton in a superhero movie?
½ January 1, 2017
Not the best entry in the MCU, but still an entertaining addition that does not stray to far from the formula.
January 1, 2017
The Incredible Hulk, while a weak and slightly unnecessary follow-up to Iron Man, is fun and will entertain hulk fans of the source material. Edward Norton is a good hulk, the final action scene is enjoyable, and there is fun to be held. The movie is bland with some dumb scenes and slow moments. This movie can only be for Hulk fans or people who have a happy feeling. You might feel disappointed if you were looking for a masterpiece.
Page 1 of 1992