The Incredible Hulk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incredible Hulk Reviews

Page 1 of 1992
½ January 17, 2017
After Director Ang Lee's (Sense and Sensibility, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) artsy-fartsy take on The Hulk tanked at the box office a few years ago, things looked dire for the big green dude. So what was in order? Recast the franchise, get a new director, and basically pretend the first one never happened. This is a reboot of the Hulk franchise, and it's a credit to the filmmakers that I very much enjoyed this film, given that I have no history of giving a crap about the Hulk or his tendency to smash things. I've always looked on the character with mild disdain, writing him off as a Jekyll & Hyde-type on steroids. But this Hulk kept me entertained from start to finish.

Credit must be given to Edward Norton, whose Bruce Banner is a lonely, tortured soul who struggles to keep the rageful beast within him at bay. Norton makes a sympathetic lead, and he does some fine character work here. Nothing amazing, ala Christian Bale or Robert Downey Jr., but solid nonetheless. Liv Tyler does just fine (though there's sure to be some inexplicable hatred for her by the public...there always is for the love interest in superhero movies! I don't get it. I liked Katie Holmes, Kirsten Dunst, and Kate Bosworth just fine). William Hurt, Tim Roth...the entire cast turns in good performances. The cinematography is excellent (some stuff in Brazil is particularly eye-catching). The pacing is great, and while there is some down-time between Hulk moments, the film doesn't lag. This is a much more somber movie than the crowd-pleasing Iron Man, but the handful of attempts at humor hit the mark just fine.

Most importantly, the film gives you a good dose of Hulk smashing things real good. The CGI on the Hulk is far better than the trailers made me think it'd be (with a few exceptions). The action in this movie is fantastic, visceral, hard-hitting stuff. You truly feel the physical power of the character, and a couple moments startle you with their raw power. The final battle in particular is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the exploration of the villain's motives (villains who think they're doing the right thing are always more interesting), as well as Bruce's desire to control his demons. Good people have a dark side, and bad people often have some virtue left in them, and this movie explores that idea to good effect.

Flaws? Well, being a comic-book movie, you have to suspend disbelief (even within the rules of its own universe) about what's possible or even plausible. Some plot-holes arise (although some are later explained, in the moment I was thinking "wait, what?"). One side character's actions seem like a bit of a stretch. But mostly, any qualms I have stem from the fact that I've been spoiled by excellent superhero movies, like Iron Man and Batman Begins. This is not an excellent superhero movie. It is, however, a very good superhero movie that has some truly rockin' action, solid character work, and good acting. It's more than worth catching in the theatres. (Rated PG-13 for action violence, mild language, and a brief foreplay scene that goes nowhere). ***1/2 (out of five).
January 16, 2017
Not Marvel's best movie and a disappointment after Iron Man but still an entertaining action movie to help start off the MCU. Another lack luster one off villain for marvel. But the ending fight alone is worth your ticket price.
January 6, 2017
Not the best superhero movie but definitely the best Hulk one
January 6, 2017
Norton is great, I like Banner alot more than Hulk in this film. Missing the humor of the other Marvel flicks
January 5, 2017
How could I not want to see Edward Norton in a superhero movie?
½ January 1, 2017
Not the best entry in the MCU, but still an entertaining addition that does not stray to far from the formula.
January 1, 2017
The Incredible Hulk, while a weak and slightly unnecessary follow-up to Iron Man, is fun and will entertain hulk fans of the source material. Edward Norton is a good hulk, the final action scene is enjoyable, and there is fun to be held. The movie is bland with some dumb scenes and slow moments. This movie can only be for Hulk fans or people who have a happy feeling. You might feel disappointed if you were looking for a masterpiece.
½ December 21, 2016
Loved all the Captain America references. Fun movie.
December 10, 2016
I loved the movie but agree that the story could have been a bit better.
December 7, 2016
A better Hulk story than before.
November 30, 2016
Maybe the most well-edited bad movie I've ever seen.
November 30, 2016
Probably one of the few Marvel films that dont work well, the Hulk is awesome and the fight with the Abomination is fun and all, but the actor playing Bruce Banner is bland and uninteresting and is just not a great flick.
November 26, 2016
...,¢,,¦¢,¦â¦c...y
½ November 18, 2016
Bad. And not good bad. Just bad.
½ November 16, 2016
the movie has horrible hulk CGI but is one of the better MCU films leading up to the avengers but that's not saying a lot. the final fight between the hulk and abomination is cool but the hulk shows up briefly throughout the film. the hulk design is epic and rather menacing and the hulk is supposed to be like that.

Owens grade: C
½ November 12, 2016
I read somewhere that the problem with a Hulk movie is that it'll spend the majority of it's time trying to not show you what you came to see. Very much agree.
½ November 12, 2016
Sadly, The Incredible Hulk's entry into the MCU is a dull, slow burning film, with a choppy narrative. However, it soars where it does, like a few exceptional scenes (such as the Bruce Banner chase) and good acting.
November 9, 2016
True stories of comics, except that, as is always different, you can not watch a movie and think that it will be identical to the comics, you have to think it's a parallel universe. But agor leaving for the aspects of the film, I thought the Hulk, well done, I thought it has good special effects, the story is not told from the beginning, is told by say, flashbacks, is a movie you can watch quietly.
November 6, 2016
The most bland and badly boring movie I have ever seen yet so boring but the only good part is the ending this is the only thing I was supposed to see for hulk is to fight
Page 1 of 1992