The Incredible Hulk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incredible Hulk Reviews

Page 1 of 1992
½ April 28, 2017
The Incredible Hulk is so bland and really boring, the acting/characters and dialogue are poor, the script/ story is boring, and the music, the visual effects are meh, oh god the sappiest most bland and cliche music is used, but towards the end of the movie, this is were the movie gets kind of good, the hulk fight scene is fricken awesome because this is what we're supposed to see the hulk do, to fight, but this movie uh, it's not bad it's just bland. That's it.
April 26, 2017
There really isn't much to be said about this movie, it's bland in every way. The acting is fine, and there are some awesome Hulk moments, but it's not enough to keep you entertained throughout the whole movie. The CGI is really bad, and there are moments when you're not really sure if you're watching a video game or a movie. Does this movie even have a soundtrack?

Will you be able to sit through this? Probably. But you will never have to watch it again.
April 23, 2017
Hulk Smash! Awesome!
April 18, 2017
The green-headed stepchild of the Marvel universe. So this is about a scientist by the name of Bruce Banner (Edward Norton). He has had an experiment involving gamma radiation done in his past which causes him to change into a green monster when he gets too excited. Will he be able to find a cure, and will he be able to stay two steps ahead of the U.S. Government? I will go ahead and say it: I liked this movie better back in 2008. The Incredible Hulk is not bad, but Marvel has seriously spoiled us over the past decade, and that quality bar has simply been raised. On top of that, this has a disconnected feel to it because they went ahead and tapped out Norton for Mark Ruffalo, so it ends up feeling like its own movie instead of interconnecting to everything else. Apparently, Norton had wanted to do some darker stuff with the character of Banner, like traveling to the Arctic for a suicide attempt. The thing that doesn't hold up all that well in this is actually the acting. These are all good actors, and they have all previously starred in movies that showcase their chops. You can tell that Norton believes in the material, and he has a good chemistry shared with Liv Tyler in the on screen relationship. That said, almost everybody else feels cartoony, like Tim Roth and William Hurt. I don't think they truly realized the extent of what Kevin Feige and Marvel were really doing with their universe building. Roth in particular I feel is really hamming it up, playing a Russian character that they totally just retconned to be raised in England because he didn't feel like doing an accent. Marvel always is given a hard time by everyone for having weak villains, and the Abomination really is one of their lesser rogues in their gallery, even by Marvel standards. Out of all the Marvel movies, this is one of the simpler stories. The other thing that Marvel gets criticized a bunch over is these movies tend to wrap up with a brawl in a city with lots of civilian casualties. They have since fixed that in many of their more recent movies, but The Incredible Hulk is probably the worst from a human life lost standpoint if you are really paying attention to the final brawl. This is one of their lesser movies to be sure, but it was a necessary stepping stone to Marvel finding their legs.
April 14, 2017
My high hopes for this movie, in many respects were rewarded. Edward Norton was perfect for the role, even if his CGI alter ego still looked, well CGI-ish. The story worked fine but the smash and bash ending, whilst fun to watch was of less interest than most of what preceded it. On the whole though, a good, entertaining movie.
½ March 20, 2017
The Incredibly Mediocre Hulk.
March 18, 2017
Where do I start with this film. Itīs more of drama than an action film for me personally. I think they should have had more of The Hulk but I get why they didnīt g through this path It has more character development but it could have used more action. Edward Norton was great as Bruce Banner.
March 18, 2017
Underrated. This smashing hit shows what marvel is about! My Score: 81%
½ March 14, 2017
It's so underrated. Has a lot of great moments.
½ March 5, 2017
I really like the action
March 4, 2017
Immensely better than Ang Lee's Hulk, but that's still not really saying much.
½ March 3, 2017
For the 2nd MCU outing, this isn't a bad viewing.
February 26, 2017
This movie wasn't bad, but the cliched plot points and cheesy script take away from the epic action.
February 22, 2017
People say that Ang Lee's "Hulk" (2003) was too "artsy" and "slow". This time around, it's just slow.

Edward Norton, while a good actor, does not make for a good Bruce Banner. To me, it feels out of place having a high calibur actor like that play a role like this. The casting all around was odd, with the talented likes of Tim Blake Nelson, William Hurt & Tim Roth. Liv Tyler was slowly on her way out of stardom at this point, and her acting contributes nothing to the story.

The special effects feel outdated, and the movies not even 10 years old. The Hulk went from looking kind of soft with vibrant coloring (2003) to dark coloring and intense details on his physical attributes, making him look more sickly then threatening.

Overall, there's nothing new here. It's definitely one of the low points in the MCU and even as a Hulk fan, there's just not much there.
February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
February 4, 2017
Everything I wanted in a Hulk movie and so much more! :)
½ January 28, 2017
The Incredible Hulk does a fine job of bringing the rage and energy of the hulk to the big screen, even if the performances are weak and the villain disappointing.
½ January 17, 2017
After Director Ang Lee's (Sense and Sensibility, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) artsy-fartsy take on The Hulk tanked at the box office a few years ago, things looked dire for the big green dude. So what was in order? Recast the franchise, get a new director, and basically pretend the first one never happened. This is a reboot of the Hulk franchise, and it's a credit to the filmmakers that I very much enjoyed this film, given that I have no history of giving a crap about the Hulk or his tendency to smash things. I've always looked on the character with mild disdain, writing him off as a Jekyll & Hyde-type on steroids. But this Hulk kept me entertained from start to finish.

Credit must be given to Edward Norton, whose Bruce Banner is a lonely, tortured soul who struggles to keep the rageful beast within him at bay. Norton makes a sympathetic lead, and he does some fine character work here. Nothing amazing, ala Christian Bale or Robert Downey Jr., but solid nonetheless. Liv Tyler does just fine (though there's sure to be some inexplicable hatred for her by the public...there always is for the love interest in superhero movies! I don't get it. I liked Katie Holmes, Kirsten Dunst, and Kate Bosworth just fine). William Hurt, Tim Roth...the entire cast turns in good performances. The cinematography is excellent (some stuff in Brazil is particularly eye-catching). The pacing is great, and while there is some down-time between Hulk moments, the film doesn't lag. This is a much more somber movie than the crowd-pleasing Iron Man, but the handful of attempts at humor hit the mark just fine.

Most importantly, the film gives you a good dose of Hulk smashing things real good. The CGI on the Hulk is far better than the trailers made me think it'd be (with a few exceptions). The action in this movie is fantastic, visceral, hard-hitting stuff. You truly feel the physical power of the character, and a couple moments startle you with their raw power. The final battle in particular is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the exploration of the villain's motives (villains who think they're doing the right thing are always more interesting), as well as Bruce's desire to control his demons. Good people have a dark side, and bad people often have some virtue left in them, and this movie explores that idea to good effect.

Flaws? Well, being a comic-book movie, you have to suspend disbelief (even within the rules of its own universe) about what's possible or even plausible. Some plot-holes arise (although some are later explained, in the moment I was thinking "wait, what?"). One side character's actions seem like a bit of a stretch. But mostly, any qualms I have stem from the fact that I've been spoiled by excellent superhero movies, like Iron Man and Batman Begins. This is not an excellent superhero movie. It is, however, a very good superhero movie that has some truly rockin' action, solid character work, and good acting. It's more than worth catching in the theatres. (Rated PG-13 for action violence, mild language, and a brief foreplay scene that goes nowhere). ***1/2 (out of five).
January 16, 2017
Not Marvel's best movie and a disappointment after Iron Man but still an entertaining action movie to help start off the MCU. Another lack luster one off villain for marvel. But the ending fight alone is worth your ticket price.
Page 1 of 1992