The Incredible Hulk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incredible Hulk Reviews

Page 1 of 1997
½ April 24, 2018
It's the second installment in the MCU, and it's a decent enough one. It's nothing compared to other MCU movies, but it's certainly not bad. It's just a fun, action-packed movie, with nothing too special about it.
April 23, 2018
A 'requel' that keeps the good stuff of the first film and reboots the rest for a better cinematic experience.
½ April 23, 2018
The Incredible Hulk is a great movie that builds upon the Iron Man series and brings back a little snippet of Tony Stark. It starts the beginning of the Avengers by getting this green super-strength man to fight. When the government finds out how to recreate this super-human ability, they accidentally release him into downtown New York, and the real Hulk fights him.
½ April 17, 2018
This movie is a strange movie in the MCU with the recast of Ed Norton to Mark Ruffalo. This movie had the best CGI compared to it's previous movie back in 2003. The story however didn't really strike me like other Marvel movies.
April 12, 2018
Filled with powerful action and great callbacks to the original tv-show, this new addition in the Marvel Universe may not hit much deepness and quality in regards of its potential, but the production finds itself delivering enough substance and its structure is more suitable than its predecessor, making this a dazzling Hulk-movie that also benefits from its cast, particularly Edward Norton and Eli Roth, becoming a fine addition to the MCU, even when some special effects and story elements don't necessarily deliver.
½ April 10, 2018
I don't see how this movie was so bad. This is a better Hulk movie than the 2003 version. Even though I do prefer Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, but Edward Norton did okay as Bruce Banner.
½ April 7, 2018
What hurt this movie was Edward Norton!!! In my opinion they should have gotten Mark Ruffalo to play the Hulk from the beginning .The Stroyline when dealing with the Hulk is always gonna be great rather Hulk is fighting the army or in this movie both the army and Abomination. The film looked good cgi was on point action was awesome every time Hulk was shown he was doing something amazing its just when they put Edward Norton on screen I cringed. Bottomline even though Nortons acting was awful everything else was good in this movie. I hope one day they will give Mark Ruffalo is own stand alone Hulk movie he just plays a very good Bruce Banner.
April 6, 2018
(61/100)
The story is well put together but there are many flaws with this movie, sadly. The CGI especially Hulk (Edward Norton) and Abomination (Tim Roth) was pretty bad, even for 2008s standards. Iron Man looked much better then this. The green/blue screen shots also looked bad at times. The dialogue exchanged by Bruce (Edward Norton) and Elizabeth (Liv Tyler) didn't have much substance to it and felt quite boring at times. Overall this is one of the more dissapointing movies out of the MCU, but not horribly bad either.
April 4, 2018
The film was an ambitious reboot after the fan hated Hulk by Ang Lee. I will say Louis Leterrier was the incorrect choice for the filmmaker and decision maker behind this film, probably one of the reasons Ed Norton wasn't so nice to everybody, as the character moments are the weakest parts. Ed Norton was an ideal choice for Bruce Banner and is a shame he couldn't stay on for whatever behind the scenes arguments occurred. The film is better than I remember and while I'm re-watching all these films before infinity Wars. The film is flawed but fun and unlike all the other Marvel films, this is gritty and uncompromising with an epic smack down conclusion. Marvel seems to want to forget this film but it is part of the cinematic universe and worthy of attention as it was avoided after the successful Iron Man. 04-04-2018.
March 30, 2018
I love the Hulk as a character, but this is the weakest of the phase 1 movies in my opinion. I wish someone would make a great standalone Hulk movie. But this is the best one so far.
March 29, 2018
The Incredible Hulk is somewhat an incomplete movie and a forgotten movie in the MCU. The movie's plot is underwhelming, plus the dry, unorthodox athmosphere is noticeable, but seeing Hulk in rage and action is welcoming, if not quite uneven.
½ March 28, 2018
It can get poorly acted and predictable, but it's also a pretty decent journey for its protagonist who, when angry and green, does provide an intensely action-packed ride.
March 28, 2018
Where do we start..? With a heavy sigh, I put the blu-ray into my PS4 one more time to watch so I can write this review for you guys. OK so a little bit of information about the movie before I go into any depth, we start off following mild-mannered scientist Bruce Banner, (Edward Norton), who has been traveling the globe hiding while in search of a possible antidote that would finally allow him to break away from his fierce primal alter ego.

So in my eyes, this version of the Incredible Hulk is possibly the most ideal version of the Hulk. The version Ang Lee presented us with in 2003, seemed a little bit too talky or maybe even compassionate in some areas; where as we all know the Hulk is just one giant heap of rage. Whereas this time, we seem to sidestep the more intriguing aspects of hulkdom and spend a little bit too much time showing the Hulk in mindless action sequences. By the time he has completed his Hulk on Hulk showdown with the Incredible Blonsky (Abomination), I was bored out of my mind.

Although we have to consider the dilemma set before these directors when attempting to create a story for the Hulk, who is one of the lesser "creatures" in Marvel's stable, until the Avengers of course. We are dealing with two different characters; we have the mild mannered scientist in Bruce Banner; and we have the rampaging Hulk who goes into a ruthless state of aggression whenever he's annoyed, which is quite often as he usually has the US Army unloading thousands of bullets into him. One question I always find after watching this version, or the older version of the Hulk, is whether or not Bruce is really conscious when inside the Hulk. In the 2003 version he said when it happens, "I totally lose control and I like it" suggesting that he is conscious; but then in the 2008 version, we are told by Banner, when he discusses it with Betty, that its like "being on an Acid Trip" where he only remembers fragments of what goes on. So is he awake during it or not? I'll leave that to you guys to decide.

So in this movie, we still run with the same storyline where Betty Ross is still having major problems with her dad, General Ross. Betty is devestated to find out that he wants to harness the Hulk formula to create super soldiers. Now consider this for a moment, how on earth could you train an army of 'Super Soldiers'. They would be a drill sergeant's nightmare as when they aren't Hulks, why bother to train them, never mind that, how would you train them?? Would you just chopper loads into a battleground and let them tear on?

Instead of me continuing to point out plot holes etc, I will go onto what there is to like in "The Incredible Hulk". We have what I consider to be one of the better performances from Ed Norton as the Hulk. He seems like a man who desperately does not want to transform to the Hulk, and goes to the favelas in Brazil where he studies under a master of breath control to try and curb the anger within him. Then we have Liv Tyler in full on sympathy mode for Banner, regardless of the danger she gets in or around. The scenes involving Banner in Brazil are well thought out, although when he accidentally contaminates a bottled soft drink, the movie kind of ignores what could have lead to when the drink is consumed in the United States; even though its cleverly used to see Stan Lee's cameo. The only thing it does is give the General a clue to Banners where abouts, cut to the army troops dropping in and tearing the favelas apart.

Enter Emil Blonsky, a marine who the General has recruited because he's "meaner" and "deadlier" than anyone else. Blonsky leads the chase in Rio and then later on is injected with some Hulk juice. This sets up a massive battle in the streets of Harlem. This battle at the start is great to see but as it pounds away firstly at our patience, like the end battle in Ironman, and we essentially have two copycats who know who they are and why they are fighting.

DIAGNOSIS - MAJOR SURGERY
In the end The Incredible Hulk is what it should be, an action romp that resets the comic book icons big screen continuity and hopefully paves the way for what should be an excellent solo movie when the time comes. That said there are still major issues with this movie, with the one dimensional acting from its cast and the fact the CGI is terrible in parts. It doesnt keep up with Hulk & Abominations movements at all. Along with various plot holes through out and little character development on Blonsky's part, I just think this movie could have been so much more. Unfortunately it's just not for everyone.

Andy
½ March 28, 2018
Strengths: It's interesting to go back and watch this knowing what became of the Hulk in the MCU. Edward Norton (Bruce Banner) is mostly good as the lead and gives a solid performance. The action scenes are also solid, with the Hulk/Abomination battle easily being the highlight. It does a good job paying homage to the source material and you can't help but enjoy the Lou Ferrigno cameo, as well as the use of the original Hulk show ending theme. Tim Roth (Emil Blonsky) played a very good villain. The character was a bit more layered than your typical MCU villain, which was appreciated.

Weaknesses: It doesn't matter what movie it is, I just can't get into anything Liv Tyler (Betty Ross) does. She was the weakest part of any film I can recall seeing her in, including this one. She lacked any sort of chemistry with Norton and all their scenes felt hollow or forced. While I commended the action scenes, I can't do the same for the CGI effects. They didn't look very good, especially for 2008. Ty Burrell (Leonard) feels very underutilized and is kind of just there. The film also just simply doesn't feel like it's part of the MCU. It comes across as a distant cousin and not even the Tony Stark cameo in the credits could fix that.

Overall: In the end, this is a solid movie that is easily an improvement over the 2003 Hulk. However, lackluster CGI and a truly poor love story hold this back. It's not until the final fight scene that the movie really seems to pick up, as before that, there's only one scene that is memorable.
March 26, 2018
AMAZING. I love this movie. the hulk is a BEAST. great overall movie with a great story, awesome action, INCREDIBLE score. multiple goosebumps scenes. very moving love story. three of his roars gave me super chills. he was scary. I love Edward Norton as Bruce banner. I really wish they kept him in the subsequent movies. This is my favorite pre-avengers marvel movie. i strongly considered changing it to a 4.5 (6 viewings)
½ March 26, 2018
I feel this Film is very underrated. Edward Norton is Excellent as Bruce Banner/The Hulk The Story is Immersive, You could say this was like The Marvel Cinematic Universe's Monster Movie. And this is Stil my favorite version of Hulk to date. Mark Ruffalo maybe a better Bruce Banner, But Edward Norton will always be The Incredible Hulk to me. (Now all we need is for Marvel to buy the right for solo hulk movies back and get another one.)
March 25, 2018
This 2008 film was never very popular, which is why I never cared to watch it,but General Ross had its first appearance here and Tony Stark appeared in the ending scene, so no I can say that I have finally watched all the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. Here, Bruce Banner is portrayed by Edward Norton.And perhaps it is for the better that they have changed the actor, because Mark Ruffalo is much better.
March 25, 2018
Overall, the film was mediocre, and really didn't feel like Marvel film, maybe Universal Studio's involvement was the cause of that, but either way, I didn't really like it. I give the film a 6/10.
½ March 24, 2018
if they were not going to even use the same actor why is this in the MCU!
March 24, 2018
Another solid Marvel movie, thanks to another excellent cast and solid direction by Leterrier. The is great across the board, with Edward Norton making a great Bruce Banner while Tim Roth is one of the MCU's most layered villains. While the conclusion seems a bit rushed (even if it leads to the movies best action sequence), the film receives bonus points for paying fine homage to both the comics & TV series (the scene between Norton & Lou Ferigno is a classic). Entertaining from beginning to end and one of the most underrated of the MCU movies.
Page 1 of 1997