The Internship - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Internship Reviews

½ August 29, 2017
Very formulaic. Talk about film by numbers. However, I was surprised to find I did enjoy some of it. But there's too much familiarity about it, then I realised it's just like all the other films they've starred in together.
August 27, 2017
Surprisingly good movie, pretty funny, and has a great message.
August 21, 2017
6/10 A bit funny, more a giant ad for Google...
August 20, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Well, Scott, after watching The Internship I want to run right out and get a job with Google!

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Me, too, Greg. This movie allowed us to witness the behind-the-scenes coolness of how Google operates. Well, at least the Hollywood version of how it operates.

GREG: Our story starts out with two intrepid salesmen, Billy and Nick (Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson) selling watches to a retailer. They don t get far into their polished pitch when the mark tells them their business folded and they are out of jobs. They rush back to headquarters where their boss, (John Goodman), tells them they are dinosaurs. Nobody needs a watch because everyone has a smartphone to tell time with.

SCOTT: Desperate for money, the two men apply for summer internship positions at Google and only get the job because they differ from the norm. They are clearly misfits at Google and are thrown together with quirky Google employee Lyle (Josh Brener) and three other outliers, Stuart (Dylan O Brien), Yo-Yo (Tobit Rafael), and Leha (Tiya Sicar). The six of them form a team that must meet a series of competitive challenges to land a permanent job at the company.

GREG: But things aren t as easy as they might seem. Aside from the fact that our heroes are obviously out of their element, they have a nemesis in Graham (Max Minghella), an overly ambitious and arrogant Noogler (new Googler) who is out to derail team Lyle. Scott, this is a classic fish out of water tale with Google as the ocean our buddies have landed in. If you mixed Meatballs and One Flew Over the Cuckoo s Nest you d have a pretty good idea of what is to come. I was all set to hate this movie s formulaic premise, but Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are so incredibly likable that it is hard to not to get sucked into the plot and start cheering for these underdogs.

SCOTT: I agree, Greg. Vaughn and Wilson play two lovable goofballs who find themselves in way over their heads and yet are so sweet and endearing that we find ourselves rooting for them to succeed in an environment that they can t possibly thrive in. We won t give away what happens, but we can say that their experience as sales people end up serving them well at Google. We know from the movie trailer that The Internship is a traditional underdog story involving two old tech-challenged guys competing with tech-savvy college students. The old guys even refer to a 1980s underdog movie, Flashdance, in an attempt to make their points to the students who aren t even old enough to get the reference. So once we see it s an underdog movie, we re clued into how the film must end, but that s okay as long as we can enjoy the ride there.

GREG: You ll find everything in it s place: the underdog guy shooting for the impossible girl, the loser who has to overcome his lack of confidence, the geeky guy who comes out of his shell, and the hot girl who has never had a date. There are no surprises and yet it all comes together very nicely. Google, Inc. has claimed no money exchanged hands in the making of the film. However, the film crew were allowed to shoot 5 days at Googleplex - the headquarters of Google in Mountain View, California. We re treated to what it is like to work and live within the Googleplex: free food, free volleyball, and energy pods (a designated area for napping). Despite not contributing to the bottom line, this is a pretty sweet ad for Google.

SCOTT: Yes, Google comes out smelling like a rose in this film, which I m sure was their intent. I didn t mind one bit, however, as we re treated to their impressive facilities, their army of sweet overachieving geeks, and their progressive corporate philosophy. The Internship is a good-natured yet formulaic comedy that is deficient in the laugh department but is nevertheless fairly enjoyable. The movie features appealing characters who overcome their limitations in rising to the occasion to meet both intellectual and romantic challenges. I give The Internship 3 Reels out of 5 for it s overall charm and appeal. The team of heroes underwent a nice transformation, with each individual in the group discovering his or her missing quality. The team itself came together nicely, although I m not sure that a night of drunken debauchery was the only way to achieve team unity. This wasn t a terrific hero story but as a comedy it satisfied me plenty. I give it 3 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: All the elements of the hero s journey are in place, and they arrive at just the right times. I was pleased with the buddy story; Billy and Nick are equals in this tale and each props up the other s weaknesses. Sadly, all the funniest bits and major turning points are in the trailer - which is a common problem with today s films. So, for a likable pair of underdogs who pull us in and make us love them, I give The Internship 3 Reels and 3 Heroes. Movie: Hero:
July 2, 2017
Maybe because i had such low expectations after i saw everyone hate on this movie but it wasnt bad
½ June 27, 2017
A movie that me finally hate Google for once.
June 3, 2017
again, more enjoyable then i thought. a winner for Vince and Owen.
½ May 13, 2017
Possibly the worst movie ever created.
½ April 14, 2017
The Internship may not have one of the most well-written scripts in existence and isn't quite as memorable as a few other movies from Shawn Levy, particularly the Night at the Museum trilogy. However, the film still boasts some humorous moments to compensate along with enjoyable comic chemistry between Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson making for a pleasant diversion. One scene I do like is one where they find a bald dude in a wheelchair who looks like Professor X because they think he's real and have apparently never heard of X-Men. I like that scene. As I said, a pleasant diversion although you'd be better off with Levy's Night at the Museum.
March 14, 2017
I am honestly shocked by this horrible rating. In my opinion, this is some of Vince and Owen's greatest work. Not only is this movie a cinematic masterpiece, but I commend Vince for both writing AND acting in what will go down as one of the best films of our generation.

Cheers,

Just another Noogler
February 27, 2017
The greatest feel good movie of all time..... yeah I said it THE GREATEST!

If you watch this film and don't give it 5 stars then your probably that person who everyone humours but when you leave the room rolls their eyes at cus your an ass clown and you probably watch sun dance films (who even knows right?)

This film is a comedy/feel good masterpiece

I feel happier just thinking about it
February 25, 2017
A feel-good comedy with big laughs throughout it's two-hour running time. Wilson and Vaughn love to keep it cool.
February 19, 2017
It was just okay. Nothing special.
February 1, 2017
I thought it was going to be kind of stupid with maybe a few funny parts but I have to admit I actually really enjoyed the movie. Not unbelievable but definitely worth your time
½ January 26, 2017
Billy (Vince Vaughn) y Nick (Owen Wilson) son dos amigos que se han dedicado a la venta, toda su vida, pero sus carreras se enfrentan a un considerable descenso ante el crecimiento de la tecnología. Billy encontrará en la posibilidad de una pasantía para Google, el futuro suyo y de su amigo, si logran anteponerse a todas las dificultades y limitaciones para poder entrar a la prestigiosa empresa, aún con el handicap de su edad. La crítica fue dura con esta película, pero yo le doy una oportunidad. Me divirtió.
½ January 11, 2017
Very funny film! Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn work really well together and create great comedic scenes, fun plot, and overall good film.
½ December 28, 2016
Way better than I thought it would it be!!
December 1, 2016
There are a lot of missed opportunities in the storyline. Small gaps in identifying each characters' story was also strongly prominent. However, the casting of Dylan O'Brien was a marker for this movie. Although not approved of by most, Dylan's participation in this movie opened it to another generation (though not exactly appropriate). He portrayed the character of Stuart very well, and the movie fit him. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the other characters. Even Nick and Bill, played by Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn, were just a drag. The humor was poor and rarely relatable. I laughed more at the bad quality than the jokes. The Quidditch match and "Hufflepuff" cheer was appreciated, though.
½ November 25, 2016
Funny but not their best work.
½ November 17, 2016
Funny but not amazing. Vince Vaughan is the worst part of this movie