The Lives of Others - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lives of Others Reviews

½ January 27, 2018
Well made German film set in the 80s where people have their homes bugged so they can listen in. Gets better towards the end but hard to keep track of it and lost interest
½ January 2, 2018
Aww such a sweet ending :')
December 28, 2017
One of the all time greatest films to come out of European cinema.
November 26, 2017
It has a minimalist style about it, which isn't always bad. The problem for me is that it wasn't clear when and why he started sympathising with his target. Which I think is important. Maybe it got lost in the translation. It's not a bad film, and it picks up towards the end and the last third of the film is very good.
November 19, 2017
Elegant and unsettling.
½ November 2, 2017
The Lives of Others is a powerful, quietly taut, often predictable character piece that may feel like an amalgam of nouvelle vague techniques and modern influence, but still never fails at captivating its viewer.
October 29, 2017
Great film, disturbing story of GDR stasi regime.
October 24, 2017
This film is truly moving. It shows us the world that East Germans had to live in. It was a world where it took so much courage to uphold your integrity and do what was right. The end was especially poignant, when the truth came out.
August 20, 2017
4.1/5

The small scope of the film makes it so the characters and moments carry the viewers interest in the narrative, and while there are moments where it falters, the overall delivery is consistant, relevant, and thoughtful.
August 5, 2017
Simply one of the best films I've ever seen. The Lives of Others isn't your typical cloak and dagger drama. The direction and acting are hand-in-hand flawless. The story is slow but unfolds in riveting and suspenseful fashion.

A masterpiece plain and simple. If I had to pick a best film of all time, this is the first film to pop in my head.
June 23, 2017
One of the best foreign language films ever made.
April 4, 2017
Excellent movie. Masterpiece.
½ March 12, 2017
The intersection of art, politics, and surveillance here is profoundly interesting. Ultimately not a historical chronicle of East Germany, but a story about the inevitable failure of all totalitarian regimes which, despite much of the film's depressing plot, makes it quite hopeful.
March 9, 2017
Excellent movie. Both a moving portrait of the dark and paranoia-inducing times, as well as a moving testament of humanity and guilt, the film is captivating from the start, and features great performances from its cast.
February 23, 2017
One of the very best movies, ever
February 22, 2017
Very powerfull, this film takes time to sink in as it strikes a note on human nature. Heartless, Envious, Understanding, Admirative, Compassionate, Protective are the stages that transform a man tool into a man with humanity. A big must see.
½ February 3, 2017
Wow, wow! What a movie. What characters! This has to be the most under rated movie of 2006!
½ January 10, 2017
Hard to follow at first, but comes together in a powerful way by the end.
January 1, 2017
Spellbinding. I haven't seen a movie this good in quite awhile.
December 29, 2016
another piece of great german production, very exhausted description of STASI methods, but some too boring scenes maked me sleepy...finally very paradoxical...