The Lives of Others - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lives of Others Reviews

August 5, 2017
Simply one of the best films I've ever seen. The Lives of Others isn't your typical cloak and dagger drama. The direction and acting are hand-in-hand flawless. The story is slow but unfolds in riveting and suspenseful fashion.

A masterpiece plain and simple. If I had to pick a best film of all time, this is the first film to pop in my head.
June 23, 2017
One of the best foreign language films ever made.
April 4, 2017
Excellent movie. Masterpiece.
½ March 12, 2017
The intersection of art, politics, and surveillance here is profoundly interesting. Ultimately not a historical chronicle of East Germany, but a story about the inevitable failure of all totalitarian regimes which, despite much of the film's depressing plot, makes it quite hopeful.
March 9, 2017
Excellent movie. Both a moving portrait of the dark and paranoia-inducing times, as well as a moving testament of humanity and guilt, the film is captivating from the start, and features great performances from its cast.
February 23, 2017
One of the very best movies, ever
February 22, 2017
Very powerfull, this film takes time to sink in as it strikes a note on human nature. Heartless, Envious, Understanding, Admirative, Compassionate, Protective are the stages that transform a man tool into a man with humanity. A big must see.
½ February 3, 2017
Wow, wow! What a movie. What characters! This has to be the most under rated movie of 2006!
½ January 10, 2017
Hard to follow at first, but comes together in a powerful way by the end.
January 1, 2017
Spellbinding. I haven't seen a movie this good in quite awhile.
December 29, 2016
another piece of great german production, very exhausted description of STASI methods, but some too boring scenes maked me sleepy...finally very paradoxical...
August 15, 2016
While watching TLoO, a beloved Oscar winner that is fine but not worth the fuss, I can't help but compare it to the much superior "The Conversation". Even with strong themes on the relationship between an audience and a story, the tension between truth and love, and the theory of the butterfly effect, it never quite mosey's above passable. An achingly slow and emotionally distant drama that is nonetheless fairly intriguing.
August 7, 2016
Exquisite scene exposed both intense dilemma and intrigued actings of each characters. This art work does not only express political view but also proves that humanity can be remained even in harsh period.
½ July 23, 2016
Very well made and executed German spy film, but not set during WWII, or even the 60s or 70s Cold War era - it's set in 1984 & 1985, just before the collapse of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War. The East German ('GDR') Stasi, through Wiesler (Mühe) and Grubitz (Tukur) are out to get anyone who tries to undermine the GDR and set out to see if Dreyman (Koch), a writer, and Sieland (Gedeck), an actor, are up to anything, since they're artists, so must be! What follows is an interesting view into the lives of these characters, particularly Wiesler, as he listens to everything the two lovers say and becomes enamored with them. Not a lot of action, but plenty of drama and tension and the film never stops moving. Great ending and quite enjoyable.
May 27, 2016
A powerful movie which reminds me of American History X's soul transformation process of its protagonist.
½ April 21, 2016
A drama so good cannot be missed for anything. A thriller like this has its own grip on you. There are moments when you feel genuine concern for the characters.
Must watch.
½ April 4, 2016
Heart wrenching. A fascinating look at the lives of those in cold war East Berlin. No on is innocent, so who is to say who is guilty?
March 29, 2016
The depth and poignancy of The Lives of Others makes it an unforgettable masterpiece, and this film is nothing less than one of the best I've ever seen. Kudos to the late Ulrich Muhe for his performance of a lifetime.
½ March 8, 2016
The direction is plain to the point of boredom, but the screenplay is pretty cool in its complex, novelistic structure, even if it's a bit obvious about its themes at times. Didn't blow me away, but it's a good story.