The Lunchbox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lunchbox Reviews

½ March 22, 2017
A very touching, bittersweet tale that effectively portrays everyday life in Mumbai. The central characters are ordinary humans, with mixed emotions and motivations. Currently on iPlayer and well worth watching.
½ February 5, 2017
Shaikh (Nawazuddin Siddiqui): Sometimes, the wrong train can lead you to the right station...

I love Irrfan Khan as an actor and plays the lead Saajan Fernandes. Miss Nimrat Kaur, who played the lovely Ila was pretty awesome too. The chemistry between the two characters was undeniable even though they never shared the screen together. As far as the plot, it's romantic but all too far-fetch; although the story is well intentioned and has a lot of heart, which is why as fantastic the tale is, it is still very endearing. Thoroughly enjoyable, even the ending is fairly satisfying. Probably one of the better films I've watched so far this year.
February 1, 2017
The LunchBox is a satisfying meal.

Thoughtful beautiful movie, warm, melancholy drama that enchants us with its three dimensional characters.
December 28, 2016
One of the best Indian films, ever.
November 12, 2016
I would have given a 5 but for the ending. I was so incredulous it took me a while to close my mouth.
I still loved this movie for the acting. They were amazing. I was touched by their story.
September 2, 2016
Brilliant!!! Just brilliant! More than a culinary and cultural experience, it's a tale of life and it's turns. A must see, for sure.
½ August 17, 2016
Excellent Movie, should have watched it earlier!
July 31, 2016
Simple executed, this tender film paces deliberately itself to be wryly amusing, soberly reflective, and ultimately warmly affectionate.
½ July 19, 2016
A warm, melancholy drama that enchants and moves us even more thanks to the way that its three-dimensional characters reveal so much about themselves between the lines - and it is only a pity, though, that it drags a bit in the third act and ends in a rather frustrating conclusion.
July 3, 2016
Love it and hate it, really nice movie
June 12, 2016
Deserves more than 5 stars for sure! One of the best movies I've ever watched. All the actors are superlative. But Nawazuddin Siddiqui is my personal favourite.
½ June 3, 2016
Excellent movie and an insight into Mumbai
½ May 1, 2016
I enjoyed this film for a glimpse into life in India. The whole lunchbox delivery system is fascinating, and "studied by Harvard," as one of the delivery men say in a funny line. It dragged a bit in the middle for me and I found the ending very unsatisfying. I wasn't sure if the filmmakers didn't know how to end it without giving in to convention (meeting at the train, etc.) or if they tried to be too avant-garde but it left me frustrated. I'm used to French films that end with ambiguity but this was a disappointing end and didn't stir me like some of those French endings do.
February 9, 2016
Nimrat Kaur is a refreshing actress. Good movie, very enjoyable. Follows the "style" of foreign films.
January 31, 2016
A really fantastic film straight out of India. The Lunchbox is thoughtful, relatable, and very human. if you're looking for a low key film with a rich identity, it's a lovely watch for a sunday afternoon. Be warned, it will make you really, really hungry.
January 2, 2016
great story, ending fell apart
December 25, 2015
Another great movie where food is a major character.
½ December 20, 2015
Se tens uma boa história, imaginação e talento para a contar, tanto dá que seja em swailli, mandarim ou indiano, o mais provável é que resulte num bom filme. Este é um desses casos.
November 9, 2015
A gently paced, quiet story of two lonely people in Mumbai, who find friendship and even possibly growing affection when the woman's lunchbox made for her emotionally distant husband is mis-delivered to a widower office worker nearing retirement. The exchange of notes and the transforming effect of carefully prepared food frees them to confide in each other and comfort each other in their loneliness. I would have preferred a less open-ended conclusion, but somehow even that worked well.