The Lunchbox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lunchbox Reviews

November 12, 2016
I would have given a 5 but for the ending. I was so incredulous it took me a while to close my mouth.
I still loved this movie for the acting. They were amazing. I was touched by their story.
September 2, 2016
Brilliant!!! Just brilliant! More than a culinary and cultural experience, it's a tale of life and it's turns. A must see, for sure.
½ August 17, 2016
Excellent Movie, should have watched it earlier!
July 31, 2016
Simple executed, this tender film paces deliberately itself to be wryly amusing, soberly reflective, and ultimately warmly affectionate.
½ July 19, 2016
A warm, melancholy drama that enchants and moves us even more thanks to the way that its three-dimensional characters reveal so much about themselves between the lines - and it is only a pity, though, that it drags a bit in the third act and ends in a rather frustrating conclusion.
July 3, 2016
Love it and hate it, really nice movie
June 12, 2016
Deserves more than 5 stars for sure! One of the best movies I've ever watched. All the actors are superlative. But Nawazuddin Siddiqui is my personal favourite.
½ June 3, 2016
Excellent movie and an insight into Mumbai
½ May 1, 2016
I enjoyed this film for a glimpse into life in India. The whole lunchbox delivery system is fascinating, and "studied by Harvard," as one of the delivery men say in a funny line. It dragged a bit in the middle for me and I found the ending very unsatisfying. I wasn't sure if the filmmakers didn't know how to end it without giving in to convention (meeting at the train, etc.) or if they tried to be too avant-garde but it left me frustrated. I'm used to French films that end with ambiguity but this was a disappointing end and didn't stir me like some of those French endings do.
February 9, 2016
Nimrat Kaur is a refreshing actress. Good movie, very enjoyable. Follows the "style" of foreign films.
January 31, 2016
A really fantastic film straight out of India. The Lunchbox is thoughtful, relatable, and very human. if you're looking for a low key film with a rich identity, it's a lovely watch for a sunday afternoon. Be warned, it will make you really, really hungry.
January 2, 2016
great story, ending fell apart
December 25, 2015
Another great movie where food is a major character.
½ December 20, 2015
Se tens uma boa história, imaginação e talento para a contar, tanto dá que seja em swailli, mandarim ou indiano, o mais provável é que resulte num bom filme. Este é um desses casos.
November 9, 2015
A gently paced, quiet story of two lonely people in Mumbai, who find friendship and even possibly growing affection when the woman's lunchbox made for her emotionally distant husband is mis-delivered to a widower office worker nearing retirement. The exchange of notes and the transforming effect of carefully prepared food frees them to confide in each other and comfort each other in their loneliness. I would have preferred a less open-ended conclusion, but somehow even that worked well.
½ November 7, 2015
Old school romance cooked with flavors of India. Enjoyed the movie especially the open ending
October 24, 2015
Outstanding loved it....
½ October 18, 2015
The Lunchbox is a simple, heartfelt romantic movie. The movie has a lot of soul in it which clearly translates on screen. The lead actors Irrfan Khan, Nimrat Kaur and Nawazuddin Siddiqui did a splendid job. The Lunchbox is different from the typical Bollywood romantic movies and that's where its main strength lies.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
The Lunchbox is a moving drama with a gentle touch. The story and characters feel simple and real, pensive but not melancholy. The film is about two people trying to make a connection in a world of tension and contradiction. Indian metropolitan culture presents as bustling and quiet, crowded with great distance, its people being wistful yet responsible. The Lunchbox is a very relatable film and one I believe to have universal appeal.