The Lunchbox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lunchbox Reviews

½ October 15, 2017
Reviewed 8.7.17. Brilliantly constructed. It creates an almost meditative state, then claps its hands at you at the finish. Wait, what happened? Everything you realize. The characters were forever changed right under your nose. It's an impressive feat for first time director Ritesh Batra. To do so much while seemingly so little is happening is a talent. Loneliness, loss....juxtapositioned with empathy and love. It speaks to the little human voice in us all. The passionate yearning, the hope.
½ October 8, 2017
Thanks to this heartwarming movie by Ritesh Batra, the whole world knows about the thriving lunchbox delivery industry in India. The love letters are too sweet to read. I guess everybody needs these letters from time to time.
½ August 17, 2017
A simple but very clever little film that has a lot of good and heart-warming messages to deliver which it does in such a way so as to impart a feeling of not only hope, but warm affection for the very genuine feeling, well written characters. The ending is somewhat frustrating, but for the most part, 'The Lunchbox' is an enjoyable and romantic movie that definitely deserves a watch.
½ August 8, 2017
This delightful and heartwarming drama about an epistolary affinity of an underappreciated wife with a frigid widower resulted from a mistake in a lunch delivery service should be submitted by India as the Foreign Language Oscar entry.
April 22, 2017
A lovely movie about people and love and food! The main characters purposeful speech patterns and even movements mesmerized me.
April 5, 2017
I liked this movie a LOT. It is basically about 2 people who are beaten down by life discovering their inherent joie de vivre and deciding that to hell with the present circumstances, I CAN change it. And actually going through with it. Plus all those food scenes are fantastic. Although Ritesh said in the commentary that the food was all raw to make it look good for the camera so the actors were actually really acting the part where they seem to be enjoying it! I also loved how auntyji is just a voice from heaven. I need an Aunty like that in my life. Plus I have never been disappointed in an Irrfan Khan movie. He is like Om Puri. Whatever Movie he is in, he makes it a shining character study. What an Actor.
½ March 25, 2017
Thoughtful and beautiful film about loneliness.
½ March 22, 2017
A very touching, bittersweet tale that effectively portrays everyday life in Mumbai. The central characters are ordinary humans, with mixed emotions and motivations. Currently on iPlayer and well worth watching.
½ February 5, 2017
Shaikh (Nawazuddin Siddiqui): Sometimes, the wrong train can lead you to the right station...

I love Irrfan Khan as an actor and plays the lead Saajan Fernandes. Miss Nimrat Kaur, who played the lovely Ila was pretty awesome too. The chemistry between the two characters was undeniable even though they never shared the screen together. As far as the plot, it's romantic but all too far-fetch; although the story is well intentioned and has a lot of heart, which is why as fantastic the tale is, it is still very endearing. Thoroughly enjoyable, even the ending is fairly satisfying. Probably one of the better films I've watched so far this year.
February 1, 2017
The LunchBox is a satisfying meal.

Thoughtful beautiful movie, warm, melancholy drama that enchants us with its three dimensional characters.
December 28, 2016
One of the best Indian films, ever.
November 12, 2016
I would have given a 5 but for the ending. I was so incredulous it took me a while to close my mouth.
I still loved this movie for the acting. They were amazing. I was touched by their story.
September 2, 2016
Brilliant!!! Just brilliant! More than a culinary and cultural experience, it's a tale of life and it's turns. A must see, for sure.
½ August 17, 2016
Excellent Movie, should have watched it earlier!
July 31, 2016
Simple executed, this tender film paces deliberately itself to be wryly amusing, soberly reflective, and ultimately warmly affectionate.
½ July 19, 2016
A warm, melancholy drama that enchants and moves us even more thanks to the way that its three-dimensional characters reveal so much about themselves between the lines - and it is only a pity, though, that it drags a bit in the third act and ends in a rather frustrating conclusion.
July 3, 2016
Love it and hate it, really nice movie
June 12, 2016
Deserves more than 5 stars for sure! One of the best movies I've ever watched. All the actors are superlative. But Nawazuddin Siddiqui is my personal favourite.
½ June 3, 2016
Excellent movie and an insight into Mumbai
½ May 1, 2016
I enjoyed this film for a glimpse into life in India. The whole lunchbox delivery system is fascinating, and "studied by Harvard," as one of the delivery men say in a funny line. It dragged a bit in the middle for me and I found the ending very unsatisfying. I wasn't sure if the filmmakers didn't know how to end it without giving in to convention (meeting at the train, etc.) or if they tried to be too avant-garde but it left me frustrated. I'm used to French films that end with ambiguity but this was a disappointing end and didn't stir me like some of those French endings do.