The Messengers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Messengers Reviews

½ November 9, 2016
It was sort of decent but let's be real here, Stewart has no emotion in any role and is quite possibly a cyborg. Scared, angry, sad, happy, all the same face! I have the same bitch face affliction but I know I can't be in movies lol.
anyways, it gets a littke jumpy and then a bit weird and then it's done.
October 25, 2016
The Messengers is a culmination of nearly every horror movie before it, but still manages to scrape together a handful of effective shocks, and provides a decent story to go along with it.
September 11, 2016
actually quite enjoyable..went in with low expectations but was surprised. there are somw low points (the role of the mother is acted poorly, the cliche of the parents not believing the kid) but the cinematography and some decent thrills make up for it. if you want a good time go for it, if you want a deep film this isn't for you
August 29, 2016
I want my money back. Another sorry piece of crap. And by the Pang Brothers...for shame. People move in, ghosts haunt...blah blah blah.
½ July 12, 2016
Dumb and stupid and dumb. My quality of life is poorer for having watched it. No that's probably not entirely fair. It's far from the worst movie I've ever seen. But it truly was a disappointment, and I'd advise against watching it.
½ June 27, 2016
Dad goes crazy kills whole family. Avoid.
June 2, 2016
The Messengers is a horror movie from producer Sam Raimi (Evil Dead Trilogy, Drag Me To Hell). Why did he produce this movie? It is a boring, badly-acted, un-scary movie which ticked off every horror cliche on the list. It was a very disappointing movie, also considering the directors' previous work (The Eye). The characters are very dumb, and the family problems were just tiresome and uninteresting. Overall, a very tasteless and sloppy excuse for a horror movie.
½ March 25, 2016
creepy enough but ends up not making much sense. the effects haven't aged well.
February 10, 2016
This was incompetent on every level.
½ January 1, 2016
Terrible movie. The plot is completely unoriginal and copy-paste, the atmosphere is kind of dull and not very creepy, the jump scares are ineffective, and the performances kind of suck.
½ December 12, 2015
I saw this film before and I forgot I saw it. Guess I forgot to review it. The Messengers is about the girl form Twilight getting haunted by ghosts of what appears to be previous inhabitants of the house. After further research, we learn that the ghosts were the most recent residents. Apparently, they are quoted as being Messengers but they end up scaring the shit out of the daughter and not helping the son because unmute, he apparently wasn't born mute. Anyway, interesting plot and huge plot twist. Pretty good film.
December 12, 2015
A good movie... despite the fact that Kellie's brother told us the ending before we went to see it... plus kristen stewart is purtty
½ October 16, 2015
The Messengers is passingly entertaining but there's nothing here that hasn't already been done many times.
September 23, 2015
Not a bad film defiantly better than the reviews , few scares and really easy watch I enjoyed this
½ September 10, 2015
Decent spookhouse movie, with a pretty cool twist, but nothing really new or noteworthy here. It's okay for a timewaster though...
August 28, 2015
Common looking monsters (color and movements), I like the actors and that they don't hold back on showing the monsters.
½ August 18, 2015
Now this is a bad film. But it is not a terrible film. This is true because of the quick glimpses of heart. Somewhat good sense in direction in some scenes. Has a good creepy atmosphere. And the movie is creepy for a quick moment. Then boom! When the first act was done the other acts just fell completely apart and that made the movie fall apart as well. I am a big horror fan and I love the genre. That being said I can not stand how horror movies just do this standard clichés. Not just clichés of certain situations but clichés of predictability and throw away characters. Like the random guy oh he's going to start up some trouble later. And the love interest he's going to help the main character in this big conflict. These clichés just bores me and irritates me how obvious they really are. I have to say the editing is low budget garbage in this film. You can have a low budget film and have decent editing towards it but of course this movie takes the lazier route. Characters were likable and had depth to them towards the begging. But when the second act was starting to kick in these characters started to become paper cut outs and just plain bland. The plot is not original at all and is cliché standard garbage. The acting is decent except for Kristen Stewart when she looks like she cares less for half of the movie. The script isn't terrible but it is pretty hard to get through especially towards the end. Surprisingly the movie has a good use of creepy imagery. To capture the entity that lives in the house. This movie isn't a straight up horror it does have some mystery and suspense feel to it that kind of boosts it up. The movie also at times takes risks of pretty entertaining semi graphic violence. Usually we don't really see that from a PG-13 movie. Overall, 'The Messengers' is a true disappointment especially after the strong beginning. Don't get me wrong it does have its positives that are noticeable. That being said the negatives overshadows the positives in a high degree. It is a movie that I will probably won't watch again. Forgettable, poorly executed, waist of time movie. It is basically a non recommendation for horror fans and pretty much movie buffs everywhere. So for all of these reasons I will give 'The Messengers' a D grading.
July 20, 2015
The Messengers has the beginnings of a frightening, beautifully crafted haunted house horror delight, but the script is unfortunately too familiar to distinguish itself from other similarly themed pictures and the execution is too milquetoast in the long run to approximate to a truly satisfying horror film.
July 3, 2015
It starts off slow, but the suspense picks up and it ends with a good twist. It's not bad for a scare. (First and only viewing - 7/3/2015)
½ June 30, 2015
I liked the scares and atmosphere but the characters relationships were confusing and made little sense. It was hard to feel like these people even knew each other, much less were actually family. The best actor here was the little boy Ben.

The story seemed rushed and silly but like I said, it was a decent movie for the scare aspect, if that's all u wanted.