The Number 23 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Number 23 Reviews

September 26, 2017
Movie just plays out like a long boring math word problem. Decent idea for a story but whoever thought of it didn't make it flourish well.
September 10, 2017
que pelicula mas anormal jaja pero no estuvo mal.
½ September 2, 2017
2.5/5. The Number 23 is meh. Serviceable, I guess. I would just expect a movie about Jim Carrey going insane to be WAY more interesting.
½ August 25, 2017
"The Number 23" had potential to be a solid suspenseful film. Jim Carrey, while known for this more comedic roles, has starred in dramas throughout his career so it was not surprising to see him in this film. However, Mr. Carrey's performance in "The Number 23" is among his worst due to a confusing story and an inconsistent script.

Walter Sparrow (Jim Carrey), an animal controller, is celebrating his birthday when his wife Agatha (Virginia Madsen) buys him a book, The Number 23. As he reads the book, Walter begins to realize that the events in the book resemble his past upbringing and the number 23 starts to haunt him. Every major event in Walter's life (dates, social security number, etc.) add up to the number 23 in one way or another, leading him to search for the author of the book.

The clumsiness of the film starts when the chapters of the book are depicted on the big screen. The same actors are used to depict the events of the book, which only confuses the viewer. Despite the fact that the scenes are poorly directed, using the same actors leads to confusion and stains the film as a whole. The twist at the end of the film would have been better if the final events leading up to it were more realistic. By the time the film enters the final act, "The Number 23" cannot bounce back from the events beforehand.

"The Number 23" is just a terrible film. Jim Carrey tries to shine in the leading role but the wasted script and lack of solid direction smothered any greatness that could have come from it. The fact that the whole movie follows the number 23 does not make sense. It is a first that a movie tries to make the number 23 a horror theme but what it actually does is leave the viewer confused and unengaged.

Grade: F
½ August 20, 2017
Really enjoyed this movie. Watched it when it first came out and just now. It still holds up. Pretty solid suspense and mystery movie. Keeps you intrigued throughout and brings everything back together pretty well. Definitely enjoyable.
½ August 16, 2017
Worst Jim Carrey movie and I love Jim Carrey
½ August 16, 2017
I hesitate to call this movie a psychological thriller because doing so would insinuate that this film is exciting and smart at least to some extent. But it's not either of those things, the exact opposite of those things actually. It's very dull and unbelievably stupid.
½ August 9, 2017
I'm surprised 189 people watched this movie to make a review.
½ August 9, 2017
You've became a skeptic after watching the trailer, and will be right when the movie started presenting the obnoxious mathematical equation of the far-fetched 23 enigma. It only proved the crazed theory pointless when questioning it nonstop on why the specific number or the fitting equations that could've been seen in another way around. Jim Carrey tried fine decently when trying to fit in within a psychological thriller, the film's label of a genre that only disappoints due to the director's sense of messes. On the bright side, at least it's not as bad as "Batman and Robin", even though it's overall slightly inferior. (C)
July 19, 2017
Concept and story cool. He actually wrote the book
June 22, 2017
The utter mess of this plot ruins an interesting idea.
May 24, 2017
The Number 23 is directed by Joel Schumacher, and it stars Jim Carrey in a psychological thriller about a dog catcher that come across a book from his wife about the number 23, and the more he reads the book, the more obsessive he gets about 23 until it just starts changing him slowly. I remember wanting to see it when I was young only because Jim Carrey was in it, and until to this day, I've never gotten to see it for the first time. When I did get older, I was more or less thinking of the premise as it might seem interesting, but it's a very far-fetched idea that's based on a number, and it has horrific reviews for what I saw. So I'm gonna let curiosity get in the way and just record it to see if it's true or not, and yeah, it's terrible, and critics were right on the ball for this one. The acting, god bless them for trying as they were really trying to pull this material together whether it be Jim Carrey, Virginia Madsen, Logan Lerman, and even Danny Huston for that matter. The score by Harry Gregson-Williams is also pretty good that makes the movie a bit creepy, and there is a scene at the end that I legitimately like, but I can't say what it is without spoiling it and I think the reason why I like that, was because of the acting. The plot in this doesn't make any sense of all, and when it tries to go psychological with it, the movie just seems really silly like they don't know how to make it creepy. The writing is awful, especially when it's written in the book as it seems like such a fan-fiction one that just so happens to be in a bookshelf. The twist in the end is so obvious that you can see it from a few minutes in, and it thinks it's so clever in what they did with this film. The direction from the book is very awkwardly shotted, and it brung out some conflicts that were not needed. The Number 23 is an awful film that I'm not sure why Jim Carrey decided to be in this.
½ May 7, 2017
Hilariously terrible.
April 26, 2017
One of the best movies I've ever seen.Critics are stupid, why only 8%.
February 17, 2017
A movie that's underrated but worth a watch
½ February 17, 2017
Hard to follow, completely falls on it's face near the end. Terrible......
February 11, 2017
Not a fitting movie for Jim Carrey at all. Too dark and bewildering. It doesn't really make sense and is not worth the while. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
January 2, 2017
Decent movie. Even if it takes itself way too seriously in moments and features a muddled story, the film still has a decent enough premise, intriguing story elements, stylish direction and an okay performance from Carey to be forgivably watchable.
December 14, 2016
I rated the film higher years ago, but now I see it a little too darkly and of course already knew the ending. Certainly one of Carrey's flip side films, worthy of a watch
½ November 26, 2016
11/26/2016: Meh. A good cast and a somewhat interesting story, but it was pretty dull.