The Other Woman Reviews

• Nov 23, 2019

Drivel. Two great comic actresses as leads and the script is an insult. I could drive a bus through the plot. Complete sh1te.

• Sep 05, 2019

This movie isn't perfect by any stretch. It has so many fundamental and tonal problems that it could never in a million years be considered a great movie. And I wholy believe that. That said, I love this movie. It's a guilty pleasure for me and my mom that dates back years since it first came out. It's essentially a monthly watch and a generally hilarious little entry that allows us to turn our brains off and enjoy this little raunchy rom-com. Many people say it's the goal of the film to prevent you from turning off your brain and mindlessly enjoy it's spectical. And while I do agree, mindless entertainment isn't always bad. We don't take this movie too seriously, It doesn't take itself too seriously. It funny, and it's nice. That's all I have to say. 4/5

• Jun 10, 2019

I love this movie..so under-rated. Its funny, fun and def a chick flick. Well done, cute story and great entertainment. Its lighy but so enjoyable. Had me from the first seen and love the ending. I've watched it several times now. Just a good, funny movie.

• Jun 01, 2019

It's very funny. The three ladies are great together. Especially the wife. I love her. She's so adorable.

• May 17, 2019

I've seen this film many, many times and I should not have been shocked by the fact that it is critically reviled but if I'm honest I still quite like it. I think people have come to appreciate Cameron Diaz's comedic abilities more in the past few years than they did at her peak in the 1990s and I think she's a very likable presence here. Leslie Mann doesn't a good job employing her usual shtick to extract a few laughs and Kate Upton is only present for her looks but they make a nice team. This isn't a comedic classic, it doesn't meet 9 to 5 (1980) or even The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996) but it's an entertaining 97 minutes that will sufficiently fill a rainy day. Mark King, Nikolai Coster-Waldeau, is married to the dependable Kate, Leslie Mann, but is having affairs with career woman Carly, Cameron Diaz, and the buxom swimsuit model Amber, Kate Upton. Carly discovers this when she awkwardly attempts to seduce him at the house he shares with Kate. When Kate puts two and two together she comes to Carly hoping to team up against Mark and they unite with Amber after explaining the situation. What follows is them poisoning him and essentially ruining his life as they each move on with their own. Nick Cassavetes has directed two of my guilty pleasures with this and the considerably better The Notebook (2004) but he does have an aesthetic that appeals to my lizard brain. We see three attractive women wearing fabulous outfits moving from palatial offices in New York City to beautiful houses in the Hamptons. It's a Nancy Meyers style of filmmaking but he has three female leads who aren't as incredibly annoying as old age Diane Keaton. The gags are pulled off with some decent direction even as he steals everything from Dumb and Dumber (1994) to Ten (1979). Speaking of Ten, we get an extended homage to Bo Derek running down the beach as Upton wears a white bikini and runs along the sands of the Hamptons. These scenes gave me feelings of pleasure on a base level because I could identify that this was a film targeted at me and it hit all the beats that it needed to. Diaz's performance stood out to me because she handles her character with dignity but also manages to deliver lines like "I used to drive a Jetta!" humorously. She is obviously an attractive woman and she and Coster-Waldeau make an good looking couple but she doesn't seem so unattainable that she's difficult to follow as a lead character. Mann sometimes annoys me but she's better here than she is in Funny People (2009) or This is 40 (2012). Upton looks pretty, obviously, and Taylor Kinney is a decent fall back for Carly at the end of the film who's not my flavor of man but who is appealing enough. Don Johnson makes a fun cameo as Carly's father and although it was creepy that he ends up as Amber's boyfriend at the end of the film it wasn't as weird as seeing Sydney Pollack in Made of Honor (2008). The story is thin but screenwriter Melissa Stack manages to take a basic plot outline and insert funny, likable characters and some entertaining gags. She draws some of the best qualities out of Diaz and Mann and stops the film from being a fight over a man or for being a purely anti-men film as even though their eventual love interests are fantastical they are still more fleshed out than the women in Apatow movies. The pooping gag while cheap and perverse was handled funnily and the women's discussion of how they will ruin their collective ex-lover's life being punctuated by a joke about kicking a man in the balls felt fitting. I don't ask for much out of my comedies and I think that considering the dearth of gross out films made for a female audience causes this film to be considered decent. I would recommend this film if only because it's a film that allows you to turn your brain off without being utter mush and contains a lovely Cameron Diaz performance, those should always be treasured.

• May 02, 2019

Fun, smart, and so hilarious. The cast is amazing and the message is clear. These women made this movie a blast.

• Jan 14, 2019

Three angry women take revenge on a cheating husband. Cameron Diaz plays the straight man to Leslie Mann's betrayed wife who is supposed to be endearingly zany but comes across as raving mad. After five minutes you wonder, not why her husband cheated on her, but why he didn't get her committed. The final member of the triumvirate, Kate Upton, is supposed to have been taken advantage of because of her youthful innocence. But when she announces she is willing to sleep with the husband 'one more time' to facilitate the three pitiless harpies continuing with their exorbitant revenge she comes over as sexually promiscuous as well as amoral. Aside from the 'limbering up' outside the house scene, the movie is totally unfunny. Since '#meto' episode, women who are drunk, or acting drunk are not funny, they are boorish and threatening, and administering the contents of ladies bathroom cabinet which includes laxatives and 'lady cream' to an unsuspecting male is not funny either, its just crass. The romantic subplot involving the Cameron Diaz character and the wife's brother, Phil, played by Taylor Kinney, doesn't work because her central role, in sorting out the lives of the two hapless women feels 'male' which tips the balance of power against the Kinney character. Phil is relegated to a girly-boy who makes sure she has a coffee table on the deck he built with his own manly hands - only we're not fooled. Check out the 'woke' poster where the two wimmin - betrayed by the patriarchy - wrap themselves around her. In sum it's worth watching if you want to know how well the feminist agenda and identity politics work in the romantic comedy genre.

• Jan 12, 2019

I cried, laughed and loved. This is amazing movie to watch if getting over a break up.

• Jan 11, 2019

Absolutely vile movie. Not funny, embarrassing for all cast to star in this god damn awful movie. Whoever thought they could remake First Wives Club with this pile of rubbish should never work again in Hollywood. The jokes are so awful, Lesley Mann is terrible and you actual feel sorry for the bloke thinking he was with these three desperate woman. Don’t waste your time with this film it’s literally crap.

• Oct 24, 2018