The Ottoman Lieutenant Reviews

• Sep 03, 2019

Surprisingly good, actually. While some of the scenes dwell on a topic for too long and the lead protagonists not too experienced, overall, you come away with a "real" human story with its frayed ends and contradictions. The negativity around the movie appears to be political but even from that angle there's no forced or black and white narrative - sometimes you want that in a movie but you can also choose to be mature.

• May 19, 2019

Only Michiel Huisman makes the watchable

Only Michiel Huisman makes the watchable

• Apr 14, 2019

As far as a simple-and-forbidden-romance-in-times-of-war type, The Ottoman Lieutenant is an entertainingly lovely film. It isn't a history, so although some historical accuracy is questionable, it's great that the movie highlights some lesser knowns of WWI.

• Dec 13, 2018

Loved it and the sexy and sensual Huisman.

Loved it and the sexy and sensual Huisman.

• Nov 21, 2018

It's a love story set in a war zone of the past. Gorgeous costumes & scenery. I was captivated by the actors who I thought portrayed their characters superbly. It wasn't a history movie so shouldn't be reviewed as such.

• Nov 11, 2018

One of the best films I have seen. Beautiful costumes, settings, landscapes, dialogue and characters. People need to appreciate films like this more often.

• Oct 21, 2018

Kinda disappointing at the end, cause the love story was captivating in the beginning. The choice to set the story in a such delicate historical fact it's another thematic... If you don't pretende to watch it as an important movie about history (and in my opinion, it doesn't claim to a such moral level) it's pretty good: there are just a few movies that mention The Ottoman Empire during the First world war. There's no need to be mean or a film critic to affirm that this movies can be pleasing. Michiel Huisman is so talented, he's never been less, neither in this role.

• Sep 20, 2018

Only 30min in and I can barely stand the lead actress' acting. Sadly she is expressionless and monotone.

• Aug 10, 2018

Interesting. Not brilliant but not as bad as critics would have you believe.

Interesting. Not brilliant but not as bad as critics would have you believe.

• Jul 30, 2018