The Patience Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Patience Stone Reviews

½ October 19, 2015
Aqueles que não sabem fazer amor, fazem guerra
January 23, 2015
Loved this movie. Great story telling every moment. Sadly, it reminded me of my own marriage in the USA.
½ November 24, 2014
The movie is slow for your typical western filmgover but not for those who is familiar with good foreign films. The story telling and the acting was absolutely superb. The intricate family drama was unfolded in a methodical and captivating way.
October 18, 2014
Quase uma fábula juvenil sobre repressão sexual e a vida em um mundo com poucos momentos de gentileza.
½ October 11, 2014
If you like your film methodical, slowly kindling to its dénouement, THE PATIENCE STONE is just for you. If you like to discover a world other than your own, in which the realities are far harsher and the sacrifices are almost daily expectations, THE PATIENCE STONE is just for you. TPS is a smart person's film. There is no romanticism here. The feminist doesn't even know that she is one. There is no happy ending. There can't be, after all it's real life. Even in its more comical aspects, never played for comic relief, the humour stems from the film's tragic components. And a grim tragedy it is indeed, painstakingly unfolding in Afghanistan-born Atiq Rahimi's probing French-German-UK co-production filmed in Persian Farsi starring the naturally alluring Golshifteh Farahani, a successful Iranian star, letting all her inhibitions out to reveal a raw and honest performance. Yet for all of its grimness the film is not without hope. Ultimately, here is something beautiful in THE PATIENCE STONE that perhaps Rahimi brings through his aesthetic sensibilities or Golshifteh delivers through her mesmerizing, if not pained, performance. Could be that the two were destined to contribute to THE PATIENCE STONE's beauty, ironically revealed through its ugliness. Perhaps Rahimi found his muse. 100% true is that the audience is the benefactor of this perfect marriage between visionary artist and celebrated star. THE PATIENCE STONE is worth its weight in gold.
½ August 3, 2014
I thought this movie was beautifully thought provoking. I was on the edge of my seat listening to her stories. It was easy to sympathize with her. Especially when she a crisis of conscience. The ending was fairly abrupt and unexpected. I do think it was fitting and lets the viewer come up with there own ending. I liked to imagine a happy ever after for the two lovers.
July 30, 2014
Just finished watching this outstanding movie - can be slow but what an insight to another country - thank goodness I am a woman in America although our freedoms are changing
July 27, 2014
The premise is simple, but the stories we hear are anything but. In a war-torn country, a woman takes care of her comatose husband. While doing so, she eventually tells him how she really feels about their life, she confides secrets, and she shares dalliances. It is yet another reminder of the societal role of women in other cultures.
½ July 15, 2014
The Patience Stone, set in war-torn Afghanistan, is a dramatically sparse, insightful, provocative tale that tells the deepest secrets of a woman (actress Golshifteh Farahani - omg'dess!) given in marriage to a much older man who, at the start of the movie, lies comatose with a same-side-Jihadist-bullet in his neck. The foreign-film-ending does not give us all the answers, leaves us hanging. Perhaps with her? We don't know. I love that about foreign films.
½ June 30, 2014
good but different drama
June 26, 2014
Incredible acting by the beautiful lead actress...Actually only 3/4 of the way through it right now (stumbled onto it while flipping channels) but had to log in while I still had its name in front of me!
May 30, 2014
I am going to pass on this one.
May 4, 2014
( My grade C- ) This might be considered a great movie in the region of the world where it was made but I ,while appreciating the subject matter of a middle eastern woman who's abusive husband is now in a coma, couldn't totally get into. I think that's partly b/c of the style of how the movie was made just came off as odd & disjointed as well as the film being lingering way too long in near silent wallowing. Would've been much better at getting this important women's perspective from that kind of culture across if it was more of a 30-40 minute short film.
March 14, 2014
Missed out seeing it when it was in limited release here in Philadelphia last year, I really want to see this one. It just looks amazing.
February 23, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
½ January 13, 2014
A movie definitely worth watching it. An insight into a Muslin woman's life in a war raved city.
½ January 9, 2014
Another French Director's impeccable work. A traditional and and a war-raved city has hearts and emotions living in it & that is beautifully portrayed. It losses the grip towards the end, but you would wait impatiently to know the end, which is remarkable.
January 5, 2014
Otra más a la lista de vieja moda sobre el abuso y la violencia contra las mujeres en medio oriente. De nuevo los "terroristas" y la religión de la mano. Lo único bueno es que esta vez se basa un poco más en el drama de la mujer y ni siquiera se le da nombre al país donde se lleva a cabo. Sin embargo el protagónico no es muy bueno y no transmite la miseria a la que se tienen que enfrentar las miles de mujeres en Medio Oriente.
January 5, 2014
themoviewaffler.com
½ December 11, 2013
In an unnamed Middle Eastern country, seemingly in the midst of a civil war, a young woman (Farahani) tends to her older husband who is rendered unconscious from a bullet wound. Fearing for the safety of her two young children, she leaves them in the care of her Aunt (Burgan) who tells the woman about the titular legend, a stone that absorbs one's troubles when spoken to. The woman sees her prone husband's body as her own patience stone and begins to reveal truths left unspoken during their seemingly loveless marriage.
Feminism isn't a movement we readily equate with the Middle East but there's an important movement in the region's film output that's beginning to question the long accepted treatment of women as second class citizens. Earlier this year we saw the excellent and revolutionary Saudi Arabian film Wadjda, a film remarkable for being that nation's first ever feature film, and directed by a female no less, albeit one who had to remain hidden in the back of a van throughout filming for her safety. Now we have the Iranian/Afghani film The Patience Stone, which could be all the more remarkable, given it comes from a male film-maker yet peddles a strand of feminism that would cause a stir in many European countries, let alone a conservative Islamic one.

Most married women joke that their husband's never listen to a word they say and the protagonist of Atiq Rahimi's adaptation of his own novel is no different. However, she's been forbidden from speaking her true mind when her husband was able to hear her words but now, as he lays in a vegetative state, she opens up about her desire to be loved and reveals her sexual fantasies.
The language is shockingly graphic for a film from the Middle East and the frank discussion of the region's attitude to rape will disturb anyone from a more enlightened land. Discovered by two soldiers, the woman pretends to be a prostitute, believing it may earn her a beating but will save her from a rape, as no Muslim man would touch a prostitute. Her plan backfires sadly when one of the men returns alone later.

Despite an adapted script from the prolific and acclaimed screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriére, The Patience Stone is mostly a one-hander monologue that might work well as a stage production but translates poorly to screen. Luc Besson's regular cinematographer Thierry Arbogast is wasted, given little to do but frame a single room for most of the film. The excellent composer Max Richter provides a minimalist score. One suspects these talents were attracted by the film's revolutionary zeal, as will most of its viewers.
As someone who doesn't care for films that deliver their messages in such a crude manner, I can't say I admire The Patience Stone as a film, but I do appreciate what it represents.
(Review by Eric Hillis)