The Queen of Spades Reviews

• Aug 31, 2014

Wow. This is a very neat discovery, a rather obscure one, might I add. A military officer from the Russian army wants to discover the secret to winning at cards and is willing to, so to speak, sell his soul to get it. This is actually slow-burn horror film. It doesn't feel like a horror film for the most part. It builds on a few scares and there's a supernatural element to it. I don't want to give it away since part of the fun is in the unfolding. I didn't know what to expect from this so I was kept on my toes a lot of the times. It paid off quite well. Anton Walbrook, once again, is brilliant in the leading role, as well as Edith Evans.

• May 02, 2012

Great atmosphere in a fine British chiller--An Ace Pushkin adaptation!!

Great atmosphere in a fine British chiller--An Ace Pushkin adaptation!!

• Sep 13, 2011

It can be annoyingly uneven at times, but there is something intoxicating about "The Queen of Spades."

• Sep 03, 2011

A period piece mixed with a ghost story and a romance, all of them melded together to create an extremely watchable (if at times corny) film. The lack of emphasis on unnaturally juicing up the tension makes the descent into madness more effective.

• Jun 27, 2011

This movie cast a spell on me -- I could barely remember anything from the first time I watched it (it accompanied Dead of Night on a DVD I won somewhere) and this time it put me straight to sleep. It is obviously the air of mystery that pervades the mise-en-scene that sees Anton Walbrook (of The Red Shoes) engaging with supernatural forces to gain the secret of cards from Dame Edith Evans (yes, even after she is dead). The period detail (St Petersburg in winter) looks gloriously 18th century.

• Jan 22, 2011

This film has an amazing Gothic atmosphere, excellent performances by all of the actors and a perfect storyline. Anton Walbrook's performance as the soldier obsessed with gaining a fortune at cards is a tour de force. I have watched this film many times and it always reveals more depths. Highly recommended.

• Nov 24, 2010

A slow moving but perfectly paced melodrama that turns into a supernatural drama. Set in early 19th century Russia, Capt. Herman Suvorin (Anton Walbrook) is a low order officer of the Russian army. Because of his background and rank he harbours aspirations for money and respect amongst his fellow officers who look down upon him. His pursuit of wealth leads him to the story of a countess who supposedly made her fortune by making a pact with the devil to win at card games. To learn the secret he befriends the Countess's ward who is unaware of his real motives. Queen Of Spades was directed by Thorold Dickenson who brought us the original British production of Gaslight (1940) which also starred Anton Walbrook. The two films both have a slow building, tension setting atmospheric tone to them. The cinematography is beautiful with it's shadowy black and white visuals and the use of sound helps create the chilling effect of a decent horror. Anton Walbrook is splendid in the lead as the envious, sinister, put upon officer with a huge chip on his shoulder. The first two thirds of the film is very much in the melodrama catogory with only the last third becoming a supernatural thriller. The ending is a 'hair standing on the back of the neck' moment. The overall effect being a jaw droppingly sumptous film that will haunt you for...at least one night. A forgotten gem that needs to be as well known as Gaslight. In short - a classic.

• Oct 27, 2010

i loved it!! absolutely brilliant story, and the climax is just amazing! i love the old grumpy woman, he was very cute and creepy at the same time. and grumpy. did i say she was grumpy? god, she was grumpy. oh, and it has the happiest epilogue in film history: they free birds from their cages in the bird market! XD

• Oct 27, 2010

[img]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000844JQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img] An adaptation of [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Pushkin's story with an added love story (or at least, a very hammy one). Said love story ruins the middle of the movie, but otherwise, it's a solid title. I did not see Dead of Night though, that's not the edition I got. [img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000D9PNG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img] It's not actually a direct sequel to Lep in tha Hood, but rather... another sequel set in the hood with a title leading you to believe it's a sequel to chapter 5. This would actually have to be the scariest (if you can call it that) and most serious Lep sequel (although I haven't seen 4) and sometimes, it feels like it's taking itself too seriously. But some other times, the fact that it's taking itself seriously feels like a breath of fresh air in a serie that was getting quite stale. There are parts when the movie feels like they basically took a ghetto movie and added the Lep. Weird shit, yo. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Heist/Posters/doom_ver2.jpg[/img] The Rock and the dude from Lord of the Rings are sent to Mars to kill 2 or 3 monsters. At some point of the movie, The Rock yells "Semper fi, motherfucker". That right here is the high point of the movie and not the first-person segment, which might've work if it wasn't so poorly realized. But other than that, it's a rather standard movie. I just wish they didn't keep on hinting at the fact that the game had biblical elements in it and that the movie made sure to avoid them to sidestep controversy like a dog's poop on a Paris street. [img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000035P5R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif[/img] I read somewhere that the writer of [b]The Night of the Hunter[/b] wanted the movie (or the book if it is based on one) to experience like a child's dream, which would explain why the movie made [i]no freakin' sense[/i]. I mean as far as most cinematic fields go, I guess the movie's alright, but I'll be damned if it's not one of the dumbest movie I've seen since... [b]Doom[/b], I guess. And what's with the floating heads at the beginning of the movie? Trippy, man. At least, now I get one more Simpsons reference. [img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006FD9G.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img] My first Godzilla movie. I wish they'd spend less time on the piss-poor human storyline. Gawd, could it get any more boring? And not in that funny way, too (although the movie can become exceedingly dumb at moments). [/size][/font]

• Apr 03, 2010

Wonderfully acted Russian tragedy. A mid ranking soldier becomes obsessed with gaining wealth similar to his aristocratic friends. It is shot in an almost claustrophobic way that draws you onto the dark obsession. I was enthralled from start to finish.