The Revenant Reviews

• 2d ago

Tiene una exelente fotografia

Tiene una exelente fotografia

• 5d ago

Not many better movies exist. And it is the best Leonardo performance I've seen.

• Sep 07, 2019

Very interesting science fiction movie that takes place in a world much like our own, except there is no such thing as hypothermia and the main character is a humanoid much like us, only he has Wolverine-like healing powers. What Wolverine-like healing powers, you ask? His legs go from completely mangled to just fine again during the duration of the movie, all without any medical care! I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio at all, and I wished his character would die throughout the movie. I knew he wouldn't, of course, because of the sci-fi alternate reality I live in where other people consider him to be leading man material despite his bloated pie face and squinty eyes and utter lack of charisma.

• Sep 05, 2019

Great Tom and Leo film

Great Tom and Leo film

• Aug 31, 2019

The 2 hours and 36 minutes of this movie fly by about as quickly as a comatose sloth. Its amazingly realistic to see him go into septic shock, without IVF, pressors, mechanical ventilation or antibiotics and shrug it off like a burp.

• Aug 26, 2019

Despite a slow-paced second act that seems to pad out the runtime a bit with its nature shots, The Revenant is a well-acted revisionist Western with beautiful cinematography, tense action scenes that aren't filled to the brim with incoherent editing but instead deciding to have takes that last as long as possible and an absorbing story that takes some creative liberties with the events that happened but in the end, is quite a kickass movie.

• Aug 19, 2019

It's good - I'd reccomend it...I couldn't more accurately describe this movie. I mean I was entertained throughout this entire movie. It was so suspenseful! Almost every scene the main character was in some sort of danger. This movie is depressing in every way, it is not a feel good movie at all. However, this movie is visually stunning. The first battle scene of the movie is amazingly well filmed, there are hardly any cuts within the sequence. Nature lovers will really enjoy this movie, the shots of the mountains and woods are amazing. You also can't talk about this movie without mentioning the acting. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy deliver outstanding performances as Glass and Fitzgerald. I could see myself rewatching this movie for sure. The only downside to The Revenant is that it is incredibly violent and not for the faint of heart. If violence doesn't phase you, definitely check this movie out!

• Aug 11, 2019

Terrible. Senseless gore, lame plotline.

Terrible. Senseless gore, lame plotline.

• Jul 25, 2019

Visually impressive and wide in it's scope it is easy to be bowled over by the technical elements of this film but beneath the surface there was disappointingly little. This is not to say that I do not think the film is worth watching because it features stunning cinematography and is very exciting to watch the action develop at times but I think it falls short of greatness due to some major issues with it's writing. Most films about revenge operate on the idea that our protagonist is good and our villain is evil but the most interesting films about the subject feature characters who are complex and have some good and some evil in them. This film does not operate by that rule and chooses to take a very simplistic outlook on what could have been a fascinating story, that stopped me from engaging on some level and left me feeling cold even after the dramatic climax. Frontiersman Hugh Glass, Leonardo DiCaprio, has a half Native American son Hawk, Forrest Goodluck, who accompanies him on his expedition towards Fort Kiowa as he leads a group of fur trappers headed by Andrew Henry, Domhnall Gleeson. Within the group is John Fitzgerald, Tom Hardy, who resents him deeply and after he is mauled by a grizzly bear the group assumes that he will soon die and leaves him in the care of Fitzgerald and the young Jim Bridger, Will Poulter. Fitzgerald manipulates Bridger into leaving Glass to die after attempting to kill him but Glass survives and heads on a long journey back to the Fort to have his revenge on Fitzgerald. One of the major reasons that I may have been slightly disappointed by this film was that it was constantly reminding me of the far superior The New World (2005) which does right all of the things that this film does wrong while appearing so similar. The reason for the similarity between the two films is that they both employed the same cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki, to capture similar environments and the flashbacks that the film features are very Terrence Malick-esque as there is a lot of whispered voice over and some shots that feel as though they were ripped straight out of a Malick film. What separates the two films is that The New World features a compelling lead as we see Pocahontas grow as a woman from her relationships with two very different men and the cultural shock she experiences in moving from America to the United Kingdom. That film also manages to portray Native Americans as real characters instead of just good, benevolent people who exist to help injured white men. We see the complexities of the conflict between early European settlers and the native people and are left to draw our own conclusions. The Revenant tells you that all Native Americans are right and almost all European settlers are bad with no subtlety or detail. The film's other major issue is it's characters. Fitzgerald is a figure of pure evil with no discernible motivations who spends the whole film torturing our main character. Villains are scarier when we can see how they justify their actions and recognize something of ourselves in them, this man was just a monster and not a very scary one at that. Hardy's performance didn't help as he hammed it up and didn't let us into any of the nuances of this seemingly one dimensional figure, the silly accent also very quickly became grating. We are meant to care about our hero because of his connection to his family but because this is bond is never really built up, the montage of his family was not enough to care about them, but beyond this underdeveloped detail we know so little about him that we feel detached. I'm not asking for a psychological drama or a super cynical deconstruction of the classic western but I wanted some more nuance. The beauty of the film cannot be denied however as Lubezki truly is a master of his craft and displays both the extraordinary beauty and punishing harshness of the landscape that these men struggle to even survive within. He makes the sky and the snowy mountains beautiful in a way that few other cinematographers do as we feel as though we are seeing them through a new light and they inspire awe in us each time we see a new exciting vista. Lubezki also makes the scenes of action in the film decent as they don't feel as repetitive or stale as they could have considering how little character develop goes into them, we are transfixed by the visuals alone.

• Jul 24, 2019

Man, Glass could not get a break. The story was moving a bit slow but beautiful cinematography. Will Poulter was a nice surprise, didn't expect that role from that actor but he was great.