The Runaways Reviews

• Jun 16, 2020

A powerful story about one of my favorite bands. The acting is fantastic and it captures the craziness of the band even if it sanitizes a bit.

• Jun 06, 2020

If you came into this movie looking for a film to depict the basic rise of the band The Runaways and give you a basic understanding, of how the stars of that band got to where they are today, this is the movie for you. The acting is pretty solid, as well as the writing. I can't find much bad about the film besides that it may have lacked more about the people in the band.

• May 17, 2020

Fanning and Stewart wasted on this almost-biopic... in more ways than one. If you like a life of chaos you might like this story. Gee how I'd like to be a musician.

• Apr 08, 2020

The Runaways are one of the greatest bands in rock history. The history of the band is filled with drama and fighting and replacement members. As a fan, I had been waiting for someone to do this justice on the big screen. I enjoyed the film and am glad it was made, but I cannot help feeling a little let down. Sure, Dakota Fanning is great as lead singer Cherie Currie, and Kristen Stewart is okay as Joan Jett, but so much was left out. Now it's to be expected that there was much left out, considering there were legal hurdles to jump to get this film made in the first place. One band member wouldn't let her name be used. One band member didn't want to cooperate on the film, and there's only so much you can do in two hours. What we got was a good movie, sure, but it's not the full story. This film plays out as a bit of a love story between Cherie and Joan. It's still entertaining and full of the music that made rock fans fall in love with the band in the first place.

• Apr 02, 2020

Led by two powerhouse performances from Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning, as well as Michael Shannon The Runaways is an insightful look into a legendary band’s short but iconic career.

• Jan 02, 2020

This movie suck, since it's bio means that this is true story and its really not directors fault then ranaways suck then I mean it was painful to watch I have seen some movies but this just really really bad. , I mean there is a scene when she was being taught some basics she was like fuck you and played clearly she doesn't have talent, to be honest the movie sucked that I can't remember any of characters names.

• May 30, 2019

Although it definitely doesn't live up to the talents of the artists it depicts, The Runawyas is an entertaining - if too easy - film carried out by strong performances.

• May 15, 2019

It's a very iconic movie. I want to see. Is good for the cast with Dakota (from taken). Is good for the Crew with Lita (My Daughter 7 years old do everything her do. If one pull the other pulls, if one move her head so does the other. However she's right handed and my daughter is left handed).

• Mar 25, 2019

Provocative if not very effective, and more neurotic than erotic, the movie is built on performances to match those of the band, though just like their music, there's more style, shock, and spectacle than artistic merit---but maybe that's just rock 'n roll.

• Feb 06, 2019

So a few individual girls growing up in the Seventies wanted to emulate Suzi Quatro and David Bowie and wound up falling in with record producer Kim Fowley (Michael Shannon). The rest, as they say, is history. The Runaways were a famous all-female rock group filled with strong personalities made even stronger by the fact they were all so young upon uniting. Unfortunately, I kept seeing Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning instead of Joan Jett and Cherie Currie. I've seen better acting from these women, both before and after "The Runaways"; acting that involved me in their performances, acting that made me forget I was watching actresses and immersed me completely in the characters they were playing. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong on this occasion. All I know for sure is, they both could have taken lessons from Shannon who is ever the consummate professional and disappears into his role of Fowley with ease. If I had to use a single word to describe this film, it would be perfunctory. It hits all the appropriate notes, but there's no technique. It's just another sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll biopic in a long line of similar movies. Director Floria Sigismondi has obviously seen better docudramas and tries to duplicate what she saw in them without fully understanding what made the original concepts work so well. The most interesting part is Currie's breakdown and Jett's subsequent coming into her own, but it's handled so ineffectively I felt like I was watching a television movie-of-the-week. There's nothing really surprising here. There's nothing really inventive here. It's a been there, done that, seen it all before kind of film. The Runaways had some powerful songs during the Seventies and they deserved a powerful motion picture to showcase their legacy. "The Runaways" comes as close to being cookie cutter filmmaking as I've ever seen. Perhaps in more experienced hands, this movie could have etched out a place in my memory as deep as the songs "Cherry Bomb" and "Queens of Noise" did. As it stands, I'm forgetting the film almost as fast as I watched it, which is probably a blessing.