The Science of Sleep Reviews

• Nov 25, 2017

Poignant insight into your mind my love

Poignant insight into your mind my love

• Oct 30, 2017

Reviewed 10.12.17. Michel Gondry has left his innovative mark on cinema, and that's not hyperbole. At the same time, I find myself let down by his inability to recapture the magic of his first (and only) great film, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He's basically the hipster version of M. Night Shyamalan. His movies, like this one, are always visually innovative, even inspirational in their creativity. But he struggles to weave together his disparate tones. And although I can appreciate non-linear story lines, the disjointed delivery should serve a narrative purpose. But often it feels the plot is simply incomplete; flimsy; almost secondary to the images themselves. The Science of Sleep's central trope is clever, and it elicits both humorous and charming moments. Regrettably though they wane in the third act, with the transition of Stephane (Gael Garcia Bernal) from childlike to immature. The proceedings mope across the finish line, whereas Eternal Sunshine soared. Here's hoping Gondry has a second classic in him.

• Jan 04, 2017

If you like bohemian and surreal, you might like this....it wasn't for me though.

• Nov 27, 2016

Ingenious fantasy running mad, in the shady and fuzzy borders between dream and reality. Absurd sexuality in a tale spun out of a unlogical dream, creating a unique and bizarre mind-explosion.

• May 27, 2016

The Science of Sleep is definitely a hipster flick, not that that's a bad thing, but it totally is. With plenty of funny props and stop-motions, it's a very aesthetical film. Story-wise it's not anything out of this world, but it's interesting. Somewhat relatable, the way we can act like complete dumbasses when we're with people we like. In what seems to be a happy ending, once you think about it, the aftermath is actually quite sad.

• Apr 04, 2016

Thin plot but imaginative filming and set up.

Thin plot but imaginative filming and set up.

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2015

The Science of Sleep is a refreshing view for dreamers and the young. A creative genius (and kindred spirit to the makers of all those trippy 80s music videos) with a sense of humor makes this an enjoyable film (especially for those who see art everywhere, all as material for dreams). Like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, this is bittersweet, though much more on the sweet side. Recommended to those with zest for life (or who have had it but need some rejuvenation).

• Aug 30, 2015

Sadly its a very basic love story. That's kind of unlikable and drawn out. At least the stop motion dreams were creative.... Wait this movie is nothing but a pattern Talk to a girl... Have a dream.... Talk to a girl.... Have a Dream..... Repetitive . BORING!! Not recommended

• Jan 31, 2015

we can call this: "how to make a dream come true" too

we can call this: "how to make a dream come true" too

• Jan 29, 2015

Bernal's performance anchors this incredibly strange film with enthusiasm and charm. Full review later.