The Smurfs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Smurfs Reviews

½ September 2, 2016
Me Smurfs the Belgian Smurfs enough ! Only Carcamel was not fun to watch . Had a Smurfing time ....SOMDVD
½ June 30, 2016
The Smurfs is a funny animated film. This movie is a great family movie and is very entertaining. The movie has a great plot. I would very much suggest this movie.
June 25, 2016
this is my favorite movies
½ May 30, 2016
Makes no god damn sense it's all about smurfs running away from a villain that needs there essence
May 28, 2016
This movie is only good if you go with literally zero expectations, and if you are a child.
March 21, 2016
Lo único que realmente me gustó fue el gato riéndose. A estas alturas no tiene sentido una versión CGI de una serie clásica, realmente mas sentido tiene recordar y ver los viejos capítulos a este producto económicamente destacado.
½ March 1, 2016
As Hollywood continues to ride the nostalgia wave, Everybody's favourite blue-creature cartoon is back. Created by Belgian comic artist Peyo (Pierre Culliford) in 1958, these intrinsically likeable and happy gnome-esque characters were later adapted for television and made their mark mostly on the kids of the 80's, and were until now but a memory for generation X.

With their appeal a blend of silliness and innocence, Columbia pictures saw genius in resurrecting the blue icons, bringing them back but this time to the big screen, in live-action 3D and in New York City.

When the evil wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) finally discovers out how to break through the magical barrier protecting the quaint mushroom housed Smurf village, the unnecessarily cruel villain chases the overtly happy single family tiny blue creatures into the woods.

As the 99 Smurf's flee and scatter, a small group of six chase after the aptly named Clumsy as he stumbles into the forbidden grotto. Tumbling through a portal from their magical world of rainbows, sunshine and waterfalls into our modern world of sky scrappers, cars and technology the Smurfs are "oh my smurf" out of their depth.

Using their cutesy whiles and hijacking the help of humans, a newly promoted advertising executive Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris, Doggie Howser MD) and his expectant wife Grace (Jayma Mays), Papa, Grouchy, Brainy, Gutsy, Clumsy and Smurfette form a plan to return home.

Being only three apples tall in the Big Apple is a deadly recipe for apple sauce. With the hopping-mad Gargamel and his crazy tabby cat assistant Azrael hot on their heel's and trying to steal their magical blue essence for his own nefarious deeds, the smurfs must sing a happy song to survive the big city.

A wonderfully innocent and old-fashioned family cartoon, the Smurf's is a hybrid of nostalgia and cutting-edge live-action animation. Similarly to that of Garfield and Scooby-Doo this movie wants to show affection for the classic, whilst also poking fun.

Appealing to children through mischief and mayhem, the nonstop barrage of puns, colourful adaptation of smurfism's and the catchy "la la la" happy song choruses is enough to drive adults potty.

As the smurfection of blue cutedom reached smurific levels, parents patience become dreadfully thin to the point of being smurfed up and ready to "get smurfing" but hey "Smurf Happens". The Filmmakers so impressed with their choice of wit, utilised the later for the movies URL.

Presented with the wonderful voices of Alan Cumming, Katy Perry, Fred Armisen, Anton Yelchin, Jonathan Winters and George Lopez, The individually recognisable characters each named and defined by their behaviours and traits (similarly to the seven dwarfs).

The Verdict: Technically more impressive than other 3D films of its ilk and emotionally more impressive with its themes about family and believing in yourself, Parents will be lining up to take a rousing trip back in time to answer the puzzling question; how many female Smurf's where there really? You may need to wait for the 2013 sequel.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 16/09/2011
½ February 10, 2016
I'm not a fan of The Smurfs and their annoying singing , but the movie surprised me. I thought it woykd be corny and cheap but it was actually good and funny. Will Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays were the perfect couple. Nice and perfect animation to bring the smurfs to life. So for this being one good animation movie that my brother and I enjoyed, and for bringing the smurfs to life after seeing them in cartoons, I give " The Smurfs " a B-.
January 18, 2016
At least the Smurfs look like the Smurfs
January 9, 2016
This film does not do offer anything meaningful. It's poorly written, numb hearted and boring.
EpicLadySponge
December 18, 2015
Should've just left them the way they are in before the movie came.
½ December 13, 2015
I don't remember no 'passive aggressive smurf'
November 27, 2015
The smurfs come to life!
October 2, 2015
The acting was good. Hank Azaria's Gargamel was a very enjoyable performance. The CGI wasn't too bad; the smurfs don't look realistic, but I don't think we would want them to. The movie definitely got some things right. But the plot is dumb and makes little sense, and after the trailers I was already sick of the joke about "smurf" being a euphemism for practically anything. They must have made that joke about a hundred times in the span of the film's fortunately fairly short running time of 103 minutes. The Smurfs is satisfactory entertainment if you're a child or don't mind movies of "all right" quality. But my biggest issue with this movie is in the form of a few questions. Why was this film made? Who thought this was such a great idea?
September 19, 2015
Do not watch this movie. It is terrible. The second is much better (5 stars). If you have work to do and you watch this movie, you'll be wasting time. As I said, do not watch this movie.
September 18, 2015
This is a movie only for kids, teens may like it, but adults won't! It's stupid, unfunny, and at times boring, but kids younger than 8 will love it anyways! F
½ September 6, 2015
Oh my Smurfs! This movie has an awkward story that's Really bad. However,the animation and neat comedic characters settle the deal. Review by Logan Cornn.
½ September 1, 2015
Nothing it common with The Smurfs cartoon. It's a unfaithful, cash-cow film with horrible CGI, bad jokes, pointless modern-day story thats very cliched. Yet, it's somewhat a guilty pleasure.
August 19, 2015
I think that this has had a harsh time in the reviews. It's not as bad as I was led to believe. I think it's the first Smurf thing I've ever seen so I can't compare with the legacy of old. I reckon it was alright for kids but, obviously, nothing special.