The Smurfs 2 Reviews

MANUGINO
½ December 3, 2013
Get ready to get naughty!

Good for kids, bad for adults! While I have seen a fair number of kids movies over my time, I ,like one of the other reviewers, found the movie boring and did not enjoy. There's no point in pulling punches here because, let's face it, these movies are meant as a distraction for kids. The jokes are bad, the acting is cheesy and the story isn't complicated. The whole point of the first film was to be something that will dazzle children with jokes only kids can laugh at and some brightly colored characters dancing across the screen. The formula for this sequel doesn't change that. The only real difference I saw in this one was that it looked like the writers were trying to add a little more heart to the story by throwing in heavy elements of belonging and family. Once again, this movie is intended to bring smiles to little kids who still think boogers are the height of cuisine but, at least, the film felt like it was trying to make some improvements and strides to make this a better family film than the last one...also, the special effects are still decent, so it has that going for it.

The evil wizard Gargamel creates a couple of mischievous Smurf-like creatures called the Naughties that he hopes will let him harness the all-powerful, magical Smurf-essence. But when he discovers that only a real Smurf can give him what he wants, and only a secret spell that Smurfette knows can turn the Naughties into real Smurfs, Gargamel kidnaps Smurfette and brings her to Paris, where he has been winning the adoration of millions as the worldıs greatest sorcerer. It's up to Papa, Clumsy, Grouchy, and Vanity to return to our world, reunite with their human friends Patrick and Grace Winslow, and rescue her! Will Smurfette, who has always felt different from the other Smurfs, find a new connection with the Naughties Vexy and Hackus or will the Smurfs convince her that their love for her is True Blue?
September 23, 2012
God damn it!
½ March 1, 2014
La la la-la la, The Smurfs 2 sucks. There's nothing too juvenile or stupid for this movie, no joke that's too low-brow or cartoonish. With absolutely no respect for its audience, The Smurfs 2 is a horrible smurf-tastrophe.
SC007
August 13, 2013
Hank Azaria is the best reason to watch these Smurf films. He steals the show as Gargamel. He reminds me of Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers films. Overall, I had the same reaction to this film as I did the original. It is cute and has some good moments. I only recommend the film, for Azaria's performance in it.
½ August 6, 2013
If it looks like Smurf, talks like Smurf, and smells like Smurf, it must be the poorest and most cringe-inducing excuse for family entertainment since serial child killer John Wayne Gacy slipped on a clown suit. Seriously, it's not as if the bar was set much higher than, well, small elfin creatures that live in mushrooms. The Smurfs ended up to as a bathroom humor-filled treacly-er feature undeserving of the time, talent, and money that went into producing it. Amazingly, this deuce hits new lows with a story full of cliches, embarrassingly stale jokes, and paycheck-cashing stars giving voice to caricatures. Truly, it's the saddest display of unfortunate blue people in pop culture since Gordon Lightfoot sang about the drowned doomed crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

In this PG-rated sequel, the Smurfs seek help from their human friends (Harris, Jayma May) after Smurfette (voice of Katy Perry) gets kidnapped by evil sorcerer Gargamel (Azaria) for discovering his plan to turn his evil creations called Naughties into real Smurfs.

Last week while promoting this model train wreck, ridiculously gifted actor Hank Azaria (The Birdcage, Fox's The Simpsons) was asked by morning chat-show host Kelly Ripa about a plot point involving his character. He just about laughed in her face as he struggled to find the words to sum the ridiculousness that is this flick. Worse than fellow childhood pillaging Scooby Doo, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Yogi Bear, it's the punishing equivalent of giving kids castor oil. Sadly, it also stands as the last notch on Jonathan Winters's CV.

Bottom line: Smurfs Hit the Fan.
August 14, 2013
A light, funny, feel good movie. Maybe it was just the mood I was in when I watched this, but it's been a while since I've watched a movie and actually felt uplifted by it. Not just that I saw an enjoyable movie or I felt I got my money's worth or it had a few laughs. By the end credits this move really hit the spot. Definitely plays on the childhood memories, but was more well done than the first attempt. I'm sure the kids will love it too. If that's your audience.
February 21, 2014
This is another fine entry into the Smurf franchise. Hank Azaria is great as usual, and Brendan Gleeson is always a nice addition as long as he's speaking English and you can understand him. The Smurfs have come a long way since their American TV debut in 1981, which I watched from day one, and I was delighted to see one of them rip a big ol' biscuit in the sink while they were having a group bath. Looking forward to the next one, bring it on!
December 31, 2013
Okay movie. Not enough of the actual Smurfs in the show for my kids. They get disinterested pretty quickly.
½ December 10, 2013
This is a great kids movie adding much 3-D visual entertainment and laughter, but if you break it all down its much like its predecessor.
August 12, 2013
not the movie we would have hoped for after the hit of the first movie. the story just was not there to make it more then a renter.
November 22, 2013
Reviews should be limited when it comes down to movies that are made for children. This movie was very engaging and it satisfied my kids to the fullest. The movie was excellent, so to review movies of this caliber, it is unfair.
November 4, 2013
too bad no 100 stars I loved it if was better than the first movie woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
July 26, 2013
The Smurfs 2 presents traditional sequel behavior in that it gives you the same profile with a new set of circumstances and a somehow broadened scale. Transatlantic setting change? Check. New characters? They're here. New, somewhat more impressive CGI effects? Of course! Shift from anonymous villain to famous one? Indeed. Similar heartfelt moments? Mhm. Daring Smurf-led rescue. Definitely. Sneaky pop cultural connections and clever use of modern soundtrack? Same story. Occasional tacky joke the kids will likely (and hopefully) miss? Certainly. If you enjoyed the original, will you like it? Probably so. Is the opposite true? Yup. Choose wisely.
½ September 19, 2013
Not too shabby, for a classic kids' fave. The inclusion of another female character is welcome, but mostly, I just watch the franchise for Azrael :)
April 2, 2013
Not very good. And they wanna make SMURFS 3?! What the smurfin smurf?! At one point I was thinking: "What if Martin Scorsese had made this flick?" I'm sure he would have had Robert DeNiro ambush Gargamel by putting a gun to the back of Gargamel's head and then asking "Where the f__k is Smurfette?" Haven't worked out the rest of that scenario yet. I'm glad I saw this at 4:45 in the afternoon. My grade: D
August 17, 2013
So it did get a little preachy at the end there. And kinda beats you over the head with a baseball bat about the family thing. To anyone who ever actually watched the smurfs or has seen Donnie Darko, yes they keep Smurfette's storyline pretty much intact, but the baddies was off. At least it was still funny.
½ October 28, 2012
I was a big fan of the 1st Smurfs movie. But i hated this one. But a few chuckles and a great and beatiful setting bump my grade up a little. Full review on my Letterboxd jcareb.
GRADE:D-
January 2, 2013
It was a very funny, enjoyable and entertaining live action/animated family comedy adventure. It had great animation, excellent cast, great cinematography, great special effects, great music, very fun characters, very well done costumes, great makeup, lots of laughs, plenty of action and a good storyline. My favorite character in this movie was Vanity Smurf. I felt very sad because of the comedian Jonathan Winters was dead this past April. Both kids and adults should really enjoy this movie.
July 31, 2013
Uggghh. How many different ways can you substitute the word "smurf" for a profanity? Apparently enough for a 2nd Smurf movie. As bland as kids movies get and only the youngest ones will be entertained. Then again, they are entertained by anything on a 40 foot screen.
½ July 29, 2013
I am quite obviously not the target audience for this movie so my opinion can only be taken with so much emphasis BUT I was expecting this to be a whole lot worse. Sure, the writing is juvenile and most of the comedy is simple slapstick but I also found myself giggling more than once and feeling a little something for the characters on the screen.
It doesn't deliver a lot of added value for parents who are dragged to see it by their children, but there's definitely a lot worse out there. It is handsomely made with good animation, and the 3D is actually some of the best I've seen in awhile. Go figure!