The Space Between Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Space Between Us Reviews

October 18, 2017
I'm glad I didn't read any reviews before I watched this movie because I liked it. The are some scenes which are time-wasters but I still enjoyed this film overall.
½ October 9, 2017
Plot is catchy. Asa butterfield's react when he first time step on earth is amazing. And another reaction towards earth
½ October 1, 2017
A brilliant idea with amazing cinematography, but with undeveloped characters, plot holes, and no backstory.
September 28, 2017
Excellent. Asa Butterfield is spot on, like always.
September 20, 2017
I had low expectations for this one but it greatly exceeded those expectations. I thought it fit together well the sci-fi and love story. I really liked how the story was laid out.
September 17, 2017
Dear lord, I can't stand Asa Butterfield. Not only is he a craptastic actor, but he has one of the most punchable faces in the history of cinema. Granted, he is reading from an Alan Loeb script, a writer whose lines would only work if read as ironic comedy. I don't think I've scoffed as hard and often this year as I did during the barrage of saccharine sentiments that emanate from both Butterfield and Gary Oldman. The movie is clearly designed to pack an emotional punch for idiot saps, but even the lowest common denominator will find the lovey dovey cheese cloying and trite. I didn't think Loeb could top Collateral Beauty in this respect, but he has been on a roll in his quest to the bottom of the dollar Blu-Ray bin ever since 21 back in 2008. The only reason why he's still getting his scripts produced are because he's garnered a collective 450 million dollars at the box office. Just keep drinking the kool aid, America. Anyway, in order to have a movie, a female astronaut somehow makes it to Mars before anyone realizes she is pregnant. She excretes Butterfield and dies, and the boy grows up on the red planet. The space program, fronted by an exquisitely hammy Oldman, lies to the media so no one knows the boy exists, but they don't seem to mind him talking to a world-weary, cynical, high school, foster kid girl via the internet. He makes his way to Earth and sneaks out of his quarantine to find his internet girlfriend so they can track down his father. She's an amazing singer songwriter who can fly a crop duster, he is a hopelessly romantic fish out of water with a debilitating condition, and glorious schmaltz and cheese ensue. Just like Collateral Beauty, everyone involved with this film should be embarrassed, and every copy of it should be destroyed.
September 16, 2017
Absolute garbage. By the end of the movie my companion and I couldn't hold back our audible laughter in the theater regarding the awful and implausible storyline and scenes. I was more than disappointed to see that Gary Oldman couldn't even save this movie from its horrendous writing. The movie's "plot" plays out as though a group of middle school kids were simply shouting out "and what if this happened next," and all their comments were cobbled together in a failed attempt at making a salvageable film. This movie should only be viewed once (if) it hits basic cable and you can relish in the commercials as respite from the mind-numbing rubbish that the 121 minutes of this film offer.
September 14, 2017
A cheesy sci-fi love story that isn't sure what to do with itself. There are some chuckles with the quirky awkwardness of the main character, Gardner and some nice space/tech visuals, but that's really it.
September 9, 2017
When this film hijacked the drunk crop-dusting parent from "Independence Day" and followed it up with the croaking line, "With all due respect, I'm not asking you, I'm telling you," I was tempted to turn it off, but decided to make a drinking game of it. The clichés put me under the table, drawn from the Twighlight realm, all those interstellar films with red-haired women, and a cringing "homage" (?) to Wings of Desire. The space between me and my drink was much better crafted than The Space Between Us. Given the awful material, game efforts to act from Gary Oldman, who gives a master class in how not to give up when you're drowning. But the movie is utterly bad.
½ September 3, 2017
I didn't love it, but I don't think it deserved such a low rating. I'm not sure whether the 'critics' expected a hardcore sci-fi and were disappointed because of the romance, but I thought it was quite cute, although that's probably because I don't have tar running through my veins.
½ August 27, 2017
what happens when an astronaut goes ro live in Mars but discovered that not only she is going to be away from Earth for 4 years but she was also pregnant. and even thpugh she dies during childbird the child grows up and lives on Mars until he meets that one person on Earth when he decides to escape to Earth.find out whom he is but eventually has to go back or die. but will his life and world be out of this world. very entertaining. chicky flick.
½ August 23, 2017
A movie about a teenager named Gardner Elliot (played by Asa Butterfield) who was born and raised on Mars. Feeling isolated and alone, he wants to experience the wonders of planet Earth, socialize and connect with other people, and meet the love of his life (played by Britt Robertson) as well as his father.

The Space Between Us started off very promising, but it turns into a generic road trip movie with a really trite romance. It's barely even a sci-fi movie in the second half. For a movie set in 2034, the only thing that's futuristic on planet Earth were the computers. And you can hack cars with a smartphone, but the smartphones still look the same. I HIGHLY DOUBT people will still use iPhones in 2034.

What's worse is that everything is at their disposal while they're on this road trip. A mother leaves her tablet on the table and takes her kid to the bathroom when the main characters need to use the internet. A woman leaves her car door open when the main characters need a car. Don't waste your time with this film!
½ August 19, 2017
The Space Between Us has an interesting premise and a surprisingly good soundtrack, but wastes both assets on an unrealistic, manipulative and contrived film overflowing with YA romance cheese.
August 11, 2017
2.5 out of 10:

It starts out promising and has some good performances, but the interesting story is bogged down by a cliched, slow, and ungodly cheesy romance.
½ August 10, 2017
What's your favourite thing about Earth?

You might ask that question for yourself while/after watching this film. This is not a great film, but surely different and enjoyable. This kind of storyline can be acceptable for the todays space ambition by the humans they have to accomplish. A couple of decades ago, it was called a fiction, still it is, but quite close to realistically possible.

So we had seen many films based on human connection with the red planet, Mars, but this one was a little different. It is romance theme, though not like east meets west. It is Mars meets Earth. The story of a boy from Mars and the girl from Earth. That's how it ends, but not that how it was initiated. It was the boy who searched for his connection with the Earth, and doing that, all the usual things happen, like some people come after him, like running and chasing.

Well made film. It was not a complicated screenplay, but the twist was unexpected at the end yet I did not think it was strong. Explained everything with details, as well as intentionally added some of scenes to cover up later parts when the narration takes the unexpected route. Best cast for sure.

Britt Robertson played the role ten years younger than her she is. But it does not matter, she still looks like a teenager. And Asa Butterfield was quite good too. The only usual thing about the film was the road adventure, though it did not take the usual route. Nothing was like you have already seen them. That's where it hand upper hand. The end was good, yet I felt it softened to bring a certain type of ending than a relevant one. Because it is a PG13 film and they wanted the conclusion that satisfy their target audience. So, it is a nice film and once watchable.

7/10
August 8, 2017
An interesting take on interplanetary exploration and the problems of traveling between worlds.
August 4, 2017
i enjoyed this film, maybe out of my own loneliness and longing for something to just go right at this point in my life or maybe just maybe parts of this movie spoke to me and hopefully others on a level past our everyday selves. To a part of us that longs for chivalry and romance to still happen at any moment. i know hopeless romantic right?
I have shortly ended my teen years and for us heading towards the next chapter of our lives, i don't expect many of us to connect with this on a character level.
Asa Butterfield's role in this movie is predictable.. there isn't much flexibility given to his character in the way the story is written and he does better job than anyone could ask for considering. As for Britt Robertson she does a "fine" job, unfortunately most of her memorable scenes are of her beauty not acting.
Yes this movie is very cliche in a lot of its romance but certain scenes i feel were saved by rare and brilliant writing disguised with awkward teen narrative. shave a few words off a line and takeaway some uncomfortable, awkward emotion out of a scene and you'd be left with quote Karl Marx would be proud of.

That is what you need to look for in a film. That is something that has left movie watching over the years as we are spoon fed crap on stick with little meaning and massive special effects.This isn't what i see when i watch films, i could read 100 reviews and they will all say the same thing about how they saw the dry attempt at a teen flick mashed unrealistic sci-fi. (i hate that term, sci fi that's unrealistic? never? Ok i'm reaching, yes there is semi realistic sci-fi you have me their.)
Yes the medical side of things didn't add up and the twist was seen about 7 months ago when the shuttle left mars but come on this is not a bad movie if you actually watch it, it's not worth a 17% rating, but im just one man hoping some day i will be 16 again and things won't go so wrong this time.
I will leave you with a quote of my own. "Watch every movie like you're watching inception for the first time, their are a lot more levels to a movie than just the ones you can see."
July 29, 2017
With few original ideas, but plenty of made-for-TV clichés, "The Space Between Us" is like a Hallmark movie just put in space.
½ July 26, 2017
Not a great movie but better than I expected and a sweet story with a twist ending. Certainly watchable.
July 24, 2017
The critics here missed the point: this is a romantic cliche amalgam. It hardly pretends to be anything else. So, if you want to watch a romantic movie that delivers without a lot of distractions or rhetoric then, you will be more than pleased with this movie. I watched it with the love of my life and it was the perfect centrepiece of our romantic date night!