The Space Between Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Space Between Us Reviews

June 20, 2017
Interesting story, but elements of the plot were unrealistic. Movie is geared towards teenagers.
½ June 19, 2017
looked good. fell asleep watching it.
June 19, 2017
The well has run dry. So in the near future, we are now living on Mars. An astronaut gets pregnant right before the big journey, and we get the first human being born on Mars. Being that Mars has terrific Wi-Fi, the Martian child wants to come see Earth when he finally becomes of age, and maybe meet his online crush along the way. It was probably difficult to read all of that without rolling your eyes. You've seen Y.A. movies of the same ilk of this, with the Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns, and so many other countless movies out there. It makes sense to try and do something different, so why not bring the party to space? Well, it isn't too long before the Four Tops start to play, because it's the same old song. The problem with this story is that it is trite and predictable. It takes about half the movie (and this is a two hour movie) for the kid to get to Earth, and there is nothing in the prelude that calls for this to last for this long. Honestly, it could have all been trimmed down to about twenty minutes, it is really all that it deserves. And then when he finally gets to Earth, it is nothing more than a standard fish out of water story and all of the tropes that follow. He doesn't know how to walk correctly because of gravity, he is fascinated by rain, and he asks awkward questions. I understand the first two, but not the latter. It's not like he is alone on Mars like Matt Damon in The Martian, he is properly socialized with the space station crew. It is almost like he is somewhat autistic, but this is never something that the story touches upon. This was a gigantic flop from a financial standpoint, not even recouping half of its $30 million budget (and that is internationally, not just domestically). I think that this is actually a good sign, as it shows that interest is finally fading in these Y.A. stories that are based on somewhat successful books. There is a lot in the storytelling that I was not a fan of, like the science not being tight, the script being filled with conveniences and the fact that everybody who is an adult is a bumbling idiot at their job and can be easily duped by a teenager. The only good thing I have to say about this is that I thought Britt Robertson was committed to her role and tried to make the most of the part, but regardless, this is a story that is played out.
June 17, 2017
too much love. not enough science
June 16, 2017
Cute, silly movie with flashes of real fun. Critics are right that it is missing a few nuts and bolts but you can still enjoy it, just don't expect Gone with the Wind. Just a little more work on the script and science and this could have been a serious movie.
June 15, 2017
It was a cute movie with good actors but got boring and at times predictable.
June 15, 2017
Not a great movie, but not as cheesy as I was expecting. The young protagonists were underdeveloped and given poor dialogue, but the rest of the movie held water.
Perfect entertainment for teenagers
June 14, 2017
The Space Between Us cannot be any cheesier with its poor acting and direction in a romantic sci- fi concept that is surely forgettable once it ends. I thought the concept was slightly different for a romantic film about a boy that was born on Mars and is fast maturing to the part were he wants to seek and socialize with others that is on Earth. The only cache about him visiting earth is his body is not well adapted and he suffers from osteogenesis, which he needs to go back to an area with less gravity. The Space Between Us suffers from the cliché romantic story, poor direction that makes you wonder what kind of tone the director was trying to aim for. And the acting was stale from everyone. Which is sad cause these are talented actors in a poorly written script.

Gardner (Asa Butterfield) was born and raised on Mars. Fast growing and wants to visit Earth to search for his father. Nathaniel (Gary Oldman) CEO of the launch program tried to cover up the story of one of his astronauts going on the mission pregnant which she did not realize until on the space station. Kendra (Carla Gugino) is Gardner's guardian and tries to make sure he is safe when entering Earth's atmosphere cause of his osteogenesis condition. Once on Earth, Gardner escapes the facility he is being held up on away from Nathaniel and Kendra so he can go searching for his father. He will need help from a high school girl Tulsa (Britt Robertson). The girl he has been messaging when he was on Mars. They both go out on a chase and hunt for his father whereabouts. While Gardner is seeing the world for the first time through his eyes.

It has an interesting concept but is weighed down by a cliché script. It has a teen boy Gardner, who is becoming a rebel against his guardian Kendra and wanting to see the world for the first time. Then, there is Tulsa who is the cliché out of all of them. May see this trait in other romantic movies before. She is raised by a deadbeat father. She is the responsible one and wants to escape from home when she turns 18. Sure, script gets unbelievable with the characters like her dead beat father acting like a child as he is drunk. And the daughter smart decision is forcing him to go to work as a crop duster on a plane. Father suggest his teen daughter flies for him.

What's even worse with the film is the direction. Its suppose to be a romantic sci-fi film about a growing up story with a teen seeing Earth for the first time. The direction has some unnecessary camera shots of Nathaniel walking on a carless highway with the sunset in the background. Sure, this camera set up is in action movies but this fails at it and it's cheesy when it is shown.

The cast is talented but everyone's performance in the movie is terrible and flat. Gary Oldman is overreacting with every one of his lines. Asa Butterfield tries to be awkward but seems like it is done attentionally. Carla Gugino seems bored with her role. Britt Robertson seems like the only one invested in her character from what she can work with.

Overall, The Space Between Us is a bad film. Direction, the script, and acting is terrible. Has no idea on what it is trying to do with its tone. Seems like its suppose to be serious with its sci-fi growing up tale but looks laughable with its direction.
½ June 14, 2017
It's not bad, but it's not great....ok flick to watch with the gf on a Tuesday night.
June 14, 2017
A cheesy teen road trip romance disguised as a space love story. The story didn't make a whole lot of sense. Why couldn't just have made the boy someone who just didn't leave the house? What is with the whole NASA thing? it ended up becoming useless. The science was off and it didn't take an astronaut to see it. Even the fact that the boy was born in Mars wouldn't have happened with the real NASA. The film tries to be hip with its Indie/Pop soundtrack and tries really hard to pull your heartstrings, but it felt forced. Asa Butterfield and Britt Robertson are okay as the star-crossed lovers. Gary Oldman overacts but is still fun to watch. There have been better love stories that did less. Overall, the movie leaves a big space between all of us.

Grade: C
June 13, 2017
Cute, but the technical errors are too numerous to count. When the events simply aren't possible even assuming the fictional situation, I have a hard time watching the movie. Still, it's watchable through to the end because of the love story and I enjoyed Asa Butterfield's character.
June 13, 2017
This movie will touch your heart, and will inspire you to stretch your heart to the stars. Yes. I just said that??
½ June 11, 2017
I loved it! One or two corny parts, as there are in many movies..
June 7, 2017
I am glad I watched this movie despite all the bad reviews. I loved it!
I think people lack the ability to put themselves into other people's shoes these days.
I really enjoyed both the scientific approach and the human journey, the fact that they thought about the what ifs, and gave us something to think about, when humanity is on the verge of trying to explore further from Earth.
I think the plot, the characters, and the technique (along with the special effects) were great and this movie deserves a better rating than it has.
If you haven't watched it, may I suggest you do so! Great movie!
June 6, 2017
This is a fabulous movie! I loved it in the theater, bought it the day it released AND bought the soundtrack!! Rotten tomatoes is waaay off the mark in rating THIS one! You know, "critics" hated the original "Star Wars" in 1977 and look what happened there!
June 6, 2017
I loved this movie. I totally understand why the critics panned it. It is very cheesy, could have done with a better script and a better director. It falls down in a lot of places. However in other places it soars. For it's huge heart is why I give it 4 stars. The critics and cynics of this world will never get it. I do.
June 4, 2017
The Space Between Us wastes an appealing pair of leads and an inspired premise on an overly sentimental, contrived plot full of scientific inaccuracies.
June 3, 2017
I adored this movie, did it have some of the old cliches? Yes, but they had been spun in a new light. Honestly I thought it was such a sweet story and I genuinely can not wait to watch it again.
May 31, 2017
I actually really liked this movie a lot nice story and good actors love Britt Robinson a lot so I'm bias