The Spirit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spirit Reviews

½ September 16, 2016
The Spirit(2008)
Starring: Gabriel Macht, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Eva Mendes, Paz Vega, Jaime King, Dan Lauria, Sarah Paulson, Stana Katic, Frank Miller, and Eric Balfour
Directed By: Frank Miller
Review
I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead.
This is not just the worst comic book movie ever made.This is one of the worst films I have ever seen.The Syle was very unncessary it does nothing to service the characters, nothing to service the plot, service the story, it does nothing but be a distraction from the fact that the film has nothing to offer. That's all it does and it pisses me off because of all the great things I hear about Sin City(2005). Heck this style could easly work for a freaking Batman movie. But for this it did nothing except made a mockery of how ingenious that style was on film. Frank Miller just looked a t Robert Rodriguez and smacked him in the face with his penis.
The writing is so terrible and it was said in a review that Frank Miller can not write women unless their freaking whores, and its so freaking true. Unless their dressed in like a slutty fashion or being sluts their is nothing their. Because every damn women in this movie is made to be eye candy. Even Eva Mendes who they try to pas off as a bad ass assasin and they use her for eye candy every two seconds. And I can't take it seriously.
The acting in the movie is beyond, beyond,beyond atrocious and Samuel L. Jackson Oh my God. Sam Jackson is so terrible in this I mean his delivery for his shitty dialouge is atrocious. You want to know how lame the actioon scens are in this movie. You ever heard the phrase they threw everything but the kitchen sink, Samuel L. Jackson throws a freaking kitchen sink at The Spirit in this movie. He throws a kitchen sink.
Frank Miller a man who has given me my favorite version of Daredevil and the freaking Dark Knight returns, he gave you Sin City! This man is such a talented writer I do understand that this is first screenplay but this man has been writing comics for years and believe it or not but their is not much difference in writing a screenplay for a comic book and a movie. So he has no execuse their. I freaking hated this movie I'm giving the Spirit a half out of five.
August 14, 2016
Once again, the critics are off base. I saw The Spirit last night (the third or fourth time I've seen it over the years) and I enjoyed its campy humor (thanks to Samuel L. Jackson's oversized villain. I found the plot quite clear, even though I never read the comic books. I would venture say that this is one of those films destined to be a cult classic.

And those bald-headed minions with the hilarious t-shirt legends? Priceless. The whole movie visuals have been executed in a way that you feel you're reading the comic book. Awesome!
August 11, 2016
A struggle to get through thanks to a bizarre story, but the cast stands out for giving horrible performances across the board. Even with big names, they struggle to deliver any lines convincingly.
July 4, 2016
It was visually amazing, the plot and dialogues were disappointing as they were coming from the same person who gave us Sin City.
This movie has the heart of Frank Miller in it, but it was not enough.
½ June 27, 2016
I don't expect a comic book movie to be anything less than weird.  The aesthetics of this flick are nice but that's about all I was interested (not counting Scarlett Jo who usually goes without saying).  The other thing I liked was the 40s inspired hair and clothing.  In my opinion the movie ran longer than it should have an I was mostly bored.  Not recommended.
June 13, 2016
Another pretty, yet hard to watch movie that I couldn't make it all the way through.
June 5, 2016
Boring as hell. If you like movies with loads of dialogue and very little action or characters to care about, then this is the film for you. Dull, over the top, stupid, and humorless, this movie has it all. Looks pretty, though.
½ April 29, 2016
This movie suffered from bad marketing. It was billed as the next Sin City. It isn't. Frank Miller does what he always does, find the heart of a Super Hero. For Batman that was the The Dark Knight Returns, for The Spirit that is slap stick comedy. Fans of the comics will realize this instantly. No that humor was intentional. Yes, the kitchen sink makes sense.
½ February 22, 2016
Cheeseballs, Who Wrote This....
December 13, 2015
The spirit himself was great, everything else sucked.
October 2, 2015
I'm putting myself out on a limb here. You may want to call in the boys at the funny farm to come and lock me up, but I really thought this movie was fun. The obvious comparison is (as with Sin City) to Dick Tracy but as well to Tim Burton's Batman. However it also has me nostalgic for all those movies that came out in the early and the mid 90's from the Shadow to the Crow. Now granted these movies were not all universally liked, partially due to the fact that, like their comic book source material, the films focused more on character, mood and theme, than on actual plot development. The formula was simple: charismatic villain squares off with the straight man vigilante who lurks in the shadows. The fun was all in the stylization of the story telling from elaborate film sets, fashionable costumes, quirky characters, a tinge of morbidness, sweeping music scores, and lots of gun play and fisticuffs. And voila that is exactly what you get in the Spirit. I always argued that with all the emphasis on style these films are the real art house movies and critics who focused solely on plot often miss the point.

Well one day my hope is that people's attitude changes towards films that just seek to have fun playing in the mean twisted (art designed) streets. But all the same I won't hold my breath.
½ September 23, 2015
Turned on the TV this morning and this, unfortunately, was on. What a piece of unwatchable garbage
½ September 10, 2015
Sam Jackson is one of my fave actors, but I just couldn't finish this movie. Terrible acting, terrible script, screw this movie.
½ June 14, 2015
The one film that could not be saved by Samuel L. Jackson's mere presence.
½ May 14, 2015
This is not so much a movie. it is a felony and Frank Miller should be charged and stop making these awful movies.
½ May 6, 2015
For all its attempts to be sincere, slick, and sexy at the same time, there is not a thing in The Spirit to enjoy.
April 1, 2015
Wow, this was terrible! Talk about putting the wrong tone into the wrong movie, is just mind boggling! What was Frank thinking when he was given the power to direct!?
½ March 30, 2015
Such a poor film trying to use the style of sin city and failing I cant believe Samuel l Jackson went for this.
March 22, 2015
For as great as this film looked, I was highly disappointed with the final product.