The Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing Reviews

May 24, 2017
This prequel is a pale imitator of John Carpenter's classic sci-fi/horror. It's more like a remake really; with the final scene added on to make it a last-minute prequel. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is easily the best part (which is good because she plays the main protagonist) but the rest of the cast is made up of forgettable cannon fodder. However even she isn't enough to save this movie. The CGI monster isn't anywhere near as memorable as the 1982 version, and won't hold up in the long run. Skip it and just watch Carpenter's version.
½ April 28, 2017
A decent prequel to Carpenter's film but probably would have been better if the practical effects weren't glazed over with CGI . Mary Elizabeth Winstead was good as the lead and the other actors do fine in their roles. The film had some clever bits of writing like how they determined someone was a Thing which sheds some new light to the Carpenter movie.
April 21, 2017
A decent prequel, but nothing tops Carpenter's original horror flick.
April 1, 2017
Nothing really fresh here, but a fun ride. I would still push you to watch the Carpenter telling instead, but this one helps you relive that joy slightly. It plays out out as a remake and a prequel rolled into one. The tag scene was the real perk, as it leaves us where the original began. If the director had offered a few more practical effects, instead of the computer generated portfolio displayed here, it could have scored higher.
½ March 19, 2017
decent prequel to the much superior original only spoilt by way to much cgi.
March 5, 2017
I liked it...it also pays homage to the original...its a fun movie...but john carpenters version will always be my favorite
February 23, 2017
The Thing was a great memory of how great John Carpenter's The Thing was. The fact that they made a prequel solely due to the fact that the original was good enough is amazing. The action was tense, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
½ January 29, 2017
The 1982 film is the best. This prequel isn't perfect but overall it's a good film with some minor flaws.
½ January 14, 2017
A really good remake.
½ January 14, 2017
The original was a classic but sadly this is a massive misfire, the special effects do serve the film but unfortunately the film isn't haunting like the sequel, which it should called now. I found the tone a little off but I liked the little twists on the same scenes of the original. I just wanted so much more than this film could deliver but time and perspective have improved my verdict on this film.
December 30, 2016
An attempt to cash in on the classic horror movie is hindered by a generic storyline, bland characters, and horrible computer generated effects.
December 2, 2016
It's not terrible, but while it is mostly faithful to Carpenter"s 80s horror masterpiece, the writing is campy, the acting is a mixed bag, and practical effects were replaced with CGI that really takes away from the experience. [C+]
½ November 27, 2016
Sadly it's a very poor entry, not the kind of prequel or whatever "the thing" movie fans had been waiting for. But for the lack of a better one fans of Carpenter's movie will find some pleasure in watching this one.
November 20, 2016
The Thing is a prequel to the 1980's original 'The Thing' and stars Mary Elizabeth-Winstead and Joel Edgerton. I really liked how this film went into great detail about how everything that was seen in the original film during the Norwegian camp got to be there. There was even an excuse for them speaking English through the movie when it was supposed to be a foreign outpost. The acting was solid, and there were plenty of tense moments and gruesome scenes. My biggest problems with this was that the film really wasn't that scary and the lack of practical special effects that made the original so special. The cgi in this wasn't bad, but it really would've been better seeing this film with the creative effects the original had.
October 30, 2016
One of the better prequels out there in my opinion. I don't understand the harsh criticism of this movie. It explained so much and really did a food job recreating scenes from the first film.
½ October 26, 2016
Though the CGI is sometimes a little cheesy, I still think it's an intense, satisfying prequel/homage to John Carpenter's version.
½ October 21, 2016
First half was passable entertainment. The second fell apart with very little tension, few scares, and awful CGI.
September 19, 2016
It has some freaky looking THINGS, but unfortunately doesn't do anything else interesting enough that isn't ripped from it's namesake original. And the Things are CGI, as opposed to the stop motion special effects that supplied the horrors of the original. So if you're absolutely devoted to the original, this is an okay waste of time.
½ August 26, 2016
Just had my 2nd viewing of this film, and my opinion is pretty much the same. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is a lot better than I remember her being (still not Kurt Russell), but the CGI and character designs are worse than I remembered, simply god-awful and in no way do they deserve to bear the Thing name on them. The film does dutifully try to fill in the gaps of what we saw of the Norweigan camp in the original, unfortunately all these parts feel forced and un-organic.Another thing that bothered me is that The Thing in this film seems to have no plan and is really just winging it for most of the film.....very un-Thing like if you ask me. By far the best part of the film is the first 35 minutes and the credits scene. By no means does this film make me angry, but it shouldn't have been made and does not deserve to bear the Thing name. I don't know why Universal green-lit this crap.Yup, this is still a piece of shit and still a lame imitation of the original classic. I brought my flame thrower along again and it looks like I'll have to torch this fucker a 2nd time. Good riddance!
August 14, 2016
This movie deserves better! Love it