The Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing Reviews

November 29, 2017
why the hate? this was a pretty cool movie.
November 24, 2017
Not too bad, and seems like the original owes to it in ways, the prequel installment, is still a good frightfest, even if it's a bit of a nightmare itself.
½ November 21, 2017
Replacing practical effects with CGI and John Carpenter with someone whose name I can't spell or pronounce, The Thing is a major step down from the 1982 film. That being said, it's actually a good horror flick. The score is surprisingly good, the acting is great, and the scares work more often than not.
November 17, 2017
What a good prequel of a sci-fi horror film. The Thing is really a good film talking about how these people found the alien first before the cult classic film I love very creepy and sci-fi well done of a prequel I love it.
½ November 12, 2017
I really appreciate a prequel that does its homework to preserve continuity. This ties in perfectly with the original. It had everything I love about the original, although I agree with some people that the monster seemed to have conflicting goals about whether to take over the humans or escape.
November 8, 2017
Look for this film to come out 30 years later this is an excellent prequel. If you watch how the film was made you'll be impressed. There was only plot to go off of but they broke down the brief moments that we go to see from the Norwegian camp and was able to explain it. But just like the original then I fell this film won't gain any popularity until years later. The only thing that bothered me was the cgi but that was ruined because of the studio.PLEASE FOE THE LOVE GOD WATCH THE BEHIND THE SCENE AND YOULL GAIN A NEW RESPECT FOR THIS FILM.
October 31, 2017
(4.0 out of 6)
When somethings we don't see when it's been hidden for along time to now see what we have been longing to see. When somethings we can't see when they hide deep within us we see once the are unearthed and ready to take claim of its hosts to reveal itself. When somethings that hide and threaten our livelihood we hunt when we can't hide from things that hunt us too. When somethings are good at hiding that we think they are exactly the same as us but are not to tell the difference. When we think all that remains hidden is unearthed to have them released into the wild hidden in plain sight among other wild things to see the difference.
September 27, 2017
I enjoyed this, but I wish there had been more linking the two events together.
August 27, 2017
I saw this movie when it first came out. Six years later I just watched it again and enjoyed it as much as the first time. Great alien morph creatures and frights. I think the reason it received such a low rating is because so many people were comparing it to the first installment but this movie in and of itself is one fun ride.
August 7, 2017
Terrible boring sci-fi movie with fake sorta teenagers but their adults but act they act like it. I almost fell asleep in this movie and it's the middle of the day, I never do that, this movie did that, terrible movie. Does not deserve a real review. Bad everything, major disaster.
August 4, 2017
B+. :) MEW is insanely awesome!
July 2, 2017
Much better than i expected!
½ June 30, 2017
Though the CGI is sometimes a little cheesy, I think it's an intense, satisfying prequel/homage to John Carpenter's version.
May 29, 2017
This film started out with an interesting premise, by serving as an explanatory prequel to the events of the first film. However, this film was a complete disappointment. It took all the good concepts of the first film and ruined them. All the CGI special effects were unforgivably unreal looking, and the final version of the thing in the ending battle looked so stupid. They constantly pointed out the details you were supposed to notice (where the original film allowed you to notice them on your own), and it was way too easy to tell who was the thing throughout the movie. There were too many times where the group of supposedly smart scientists would be arguing and the main girl would stop them and come up with an obvious solution to the current problem. Eric Christian Olsen did not belong in this film at all and some of the characters served basically no purpose. This film was just so frustratingly unintelligent.
May 28, 2017
This prequel is a pale imitator of John Carpenter's classic sci-fi/horror. It's more like a remake really; with the final scene added on to make it a last-minute prequel. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is easily the best part (which is good because she plays the main protagonist) but the rest of the cast is made up of forgettable cannon fodder. However even she isn't enough to save this movie. The CGI monster isn't anywhere near as memorable as the 1982 version, and won't hold up in the long run. Skip it and just watch Carpenter's version.
½ April 28, 2017
A decent prequel to Carpenter's film but probably would have been better if the practical effects weren't glazed over with CGI . Mary Elizabeth Winstead was good as the lead and the other actors do fine in their roles. The film had some clever bits of writing like how they determined someone was a Thing which sheds some new light to the Carpenter movie.
April 21, 2017
A decent prequel, but nothing tops Carpenter's original horror flick.
April 1, 2017
Nothing really fresh here, but a fun ride. I would still push you to watch the Carpenter telling instead, but this one helps you relive that joy slightly. It plays out out as a remake and a prequel rolled into one. The tag scene was the real perk, as it leaves us where the original began. If the director had offered a few more practical effects, instead of the computer generated portfolio displayed here, it could have scored higher.
½ March 19, 2017
decent prequel to the much superior original only spoilt by way to much cgi.
March 5, 2017
I liked it...it also pays homage to the original...its a fun movie...but john carpenters version will always be my favorite