The Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing Reviews

August 7, 2017
Terrible boring sci-fi movie with fake sorta teenagers but their adults but act they act like it. I almost fell asleep in this movie and it's the middle of the day, I never do that, this movie did that, terrible movie. Does not deserve a real review. Bad everything, major disaster.
August 4, 2017
B+. :) MEW is insanely awesome!
July 28, 2017
What a good prequel of a sci-fi horror film. The Thing is really a good film talking about how these people found the alien first before the cult classic film I love very creepy and sci-fi well done of a prequel I love it.
July 2, 2017
Much better than i expected!
½ June 30, 2017
Though the CGI is sometimes a little cheesy, I think it's an intense, satisfying prequel/homage to John Carpenter's version.
May 29, 2017
This film started out with an interesting premise, by serving as an explanatory prequel to the events of the first film. However, this film was a complete disappointment. It took all the good concepts of the first film and ruined them. All the CGI special effects were unforgivably unreal looking, and the final version of the thing in the ending battle looked so stupid. They constantly pointed out the details you were supposed to notice (where the original film allowed you to notice them on your own), and it was way too easy to tell who was the thing throughout the movie. There were too many times where the group of supposedly smart scientists would be arguing and the main girl would stop them and come up with an obvious solution to the current problem. Eric Christian Olsen did not belong in this film at all and some of the characters served basically no purpose. This film was just so frustratingly unintelligent.
May 28, 2017
This prequel is a pale imitator of John Carpenter's classic sci-fi/horror. It's more like a remake really; with the final scene added on to make it a last-minute prequel. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is easily the best part (which is good because she plays the main protagonist) but the rest of the cast is made up of forgettable cannon fodder. However even she isn't enough to save this movie. The CGI monster isn't anywhere near as memorable as the 1982 version, and won't hold up in the long run. Skip it and just watch Carpenter's version.
½ April 28, 2017
A decent prequel to Carpenter's film but probably would have been better if the practical effects weren't glazed over with CGI . Mary Elizabeth Winstead was good as the lead and the other actors do fine in their roles. The film had some clever bits of writing like how they determined someone was a Thing which sheds some new light to the Carpenter movie.
April 21, 2017
A decent prequel, but nothing tops Carpenter's original horror flick.
April 1, 2017
Nothing really fresh here, but a fun ride. I would still push you to watch the Carpenter telling instead, but this one helps you relive that joy slightly. It plays out out as a remake and a prequel rolled into one. The tag scene was the real perk, as it leaves us where the original began. If the director had offered a few more practical effects, instead of the computer generated portfolio displayed here, it could have scored higher.
½ March 19, 2017
decent prequel to the much superior original only spoilt by way to much cgi.
March 5, 2017
I liked it...it also pays homage to the original...its a fun movie...but john carpenters version will always be my favorite
February 23, 2017
The Thing was a great memory of how great John Carpenter's The Thing was. The fact that they made a prequel solely due to the fact that the original was good enough is amazing. The action was tense, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
½ January 29, 2017
The 1982 film is the best. This prequel isn't perfect but overall it's a good film with some minor flaws.
½ January 14, 2017
A really good remake.
½ January 14, 2017
The original was a classic but sadly this is a massive misfire, the special effects do serve the film but unfortunately the film isn't haunting like the sequel, which it should called now. I found the tone a little off but I liked the little twists on the same scenes of the original. I just wanted so much more than this film could deliver but time and perspective have improved my verdict on this film.
December 30, 2016
An attempt to cash in on the classic horror movie is hindered by a generic storyline, bland characters, and horrible computer generated effects.
December 2, 2016
It's not terrible, but while it is mostly faithful to Carpenter"s 80s horror masterpiece, the writing is campy, the acting is a mixed bag, and practical effects were replaced with CGI that really takes away from the experience. [C+]
½ November 27, 2016
Sadly it's a very poor entry, not the kind of prequel or whatever "the thing" movie fans had been waiting for. But for the lack of a better one fans of Carpenter's movie will find some pleasure in watching this one.
November 20, 2016
The Thing is a prequel to the 1980's original 'The Thing' and stars Mary Elizabeth-Winstead and Joel Edgerton. I really liked how this film went into great detail about how everything that was seen in the original film during the Norwegian camp got to be there. There was even an excuse for them speaking English through the movie when it was supposed to be a foreign outpost. The acting was solid, and there were plenty of tense moments and gruesome scenes. My biggest problems with this was that the film really wasn't that scary and the lack of practical special effects that made the original so special. The cgi in this wasn't bad, but it really would've been better seeing this film with the creative effects the original had.