The Thing Reviews

• Apr 24, 2021

This film is a Prequel to the 1982 The Thing Directed by John Carpenter, although this film of the same name does not surpass the original in the monster effects department with very few practical monster effects this film relies on CGI which is not the same for the effect that was executed so amazingly in the 82' Carpenter film. The 2011 film only brings new characters to the film. Still entertaining but is no gem in the department of Monster movies!

• Mar 05, 2021

With woeful CGI in place of practical effects and lazy story telling, The Thing (2011) only exists to imitate John Carpenter's far superior 1982 classic of the same. The only thing okay about it was the music.

• Feb 08, 2021

it has the worst CGI i have seen

it has the worst CGI i have seen

• Feb 07, 2021

Look, it's not a terrible film by a long shot, it applies to all the tropes and cliches of horror films in the 2010s. But following up on such a masterpiece of a classic is a big responsibility, and the people behind this, especially the writers, just didn't take it. First there is the fact that the special effects look shitty as hell. The first one is responsible for creating some of THE BEST special effects EVER put to film without even the tiniest bit of CG. This one goes the exact opposite direction, the effects couldn't be more opposite to the original's if it tried to. Second, non of the characters, even our lead, feature anything interesting. This is the type of cast that the first film got stereotyped as having: servicing quanitity over quality. And third, the pacing is all over the place! The first half goes too quickly and the second half goes to slowly. That is not just a failure as a prequel to this film, but it's a failure for any horror movie. The more that I think about it, the more it pisses me off. If there is really 1 thing that this movie could pull off correctly, it's the ending. It's well put together and it all ties together with the beginning of the first movie. In fact, they did a great job in organically astablishing everything that we saw in that one scene in the first movie: the axe, the ice block, the cut throat, we even see who the people were that got melted together. I've seen people recommending this film saying that it's ok, but this is the one time that I can agree with Rotten Tomatoes

• Jan 11, 2021

Awful movie lol, very bad recommendation by cinema strikes back :(

Awful movie lol, very bad recommendation by cinema strikes back :(

• Jan 07, 2021

This movie is fucking shit and not really a prequel. It's more of a remake of The Thing 1982. Also I know the Thing 1982 is remake of 1951 The Thing from Another World. But I do know that its obvious way to go if you want money in studios eyes just do the same thing over again. But fall for it this just the same thing but scary with ok CGI in some part. please don't watch this film. Watch 1982 The Thing 100 more and lets movie die in fire. Or let be forgot my the mass. Or if you don't like the thing 1982 jus watch 1951 The Thing from Another World. or you don't like any of those movies watch something else please. Don't watch this movies and let die or let be forgotten. Bye

• Dec 29, 2020

This prequel carries a bad reputation although not being as bad as its name.

This prequel carries a bad reputation although not being as bad as its name.

• Dec 10, 2020

I never wished death upon a cast and crew before this. But they really deserve it. Awful in every way. It's a insult to humanity. It's treason against art. First some guys get in a impossible situation and the next scene they're just back. But i knew it was going to be bad even before that. They cast what looks like a 15 yo girl as some kind of expert scientist to go stay with a bunch of old dudes in Antarctica. After this the "film" just sucks in every way conceivable. How some morons were able to produce and sell this trash only speaks to the fact we need to hold humans criminally responsible for being so bad. They should be executed so it doesn't happen again. Jk. They should be banned from ever working again in any entertainment field.

• Dec 08, 2020

the 1982 movie is far better

the 1982 movie is far better

• Nov 22, 2020

If you've seen the original, you'll appreciate this one much, much more. It's literally the days & hours leading up to where John Carpenter's classic begins. If you keep that in mind, some of the plot holes melt away. This is much more a prequel than a remake. It's only a remake if you consider they kept some - only some - of the details the same. But it's very much a prequel from a purely linear timeline perspective. It's also pretty good on its own right, and the creature effects are excellent. If they didn't go old-school prosthetics it's some of the better digital CGI monster stuff you'll see.