The Way Way Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Way Way Back Reviews

July 24, 2016
J'ai adoré! Mais faut dire que je suis au départ une grande fan de films coming-of-age. Très bien fait, le jeu d'acteur parfait. Et Steve Carell qui prouve encore comme il peut jouer hors de ses rôles types. Wow!
July 21, 2016
Very cookie cutter script in the same film universe as films like Garden State, Little Miss Sunshine and Sunshine Cleaning, but overall an enjoyable film with excellent performances from an all-star cast and very likable characters, especially Sam Rockwell. I love it when Duncan's mom sees her sons Employee of the Month "Pop n Lock" picture at the water park.
½ July 19, 2016
A pretty enjoyable coming of age comedy.
½ July 11, 2016
Although it does not stand up to the genre, The Way Way Back is a fine coming-of-age story that manages to deliver some laughs and has a satisfactory ending - thanks largely to the acting prowess of its talented cast.
½ July 4, 2016
Recommended! A unique summer vacation comedy.
½ June 29, 2016
Sweet coming of ages story. Feel good to be back in that time. Nice cast and great tunes.
June 14, 2016
A perfect movie. This is the quintessential summer movie. The setting is perfect, it is hilariously funny, and the performances are astounding. This is a breath of fresh air. A top 10 favorite movie of mine. The screenplay is perfect, the performences are perfect (especially those of Sam Rockwell and Allison Janey), and.... Everything. Everything is perfect. An Absolute A+ movie. An real shame that it got no Oscar love (especially for Sam Rockwell).
June 7, 2016
Brilliant all around with exceptional performances.
April 27, 2016
Brilliantly performed, powerfully moving and rich with an amiable summertime feel, The Way, Way Back is an acutely distressing yet emotionally comforting underdog story that treats its protagonist -- and the audience -- with the warmth and compassion they truly deserve.
April 23, 2016
Loved this movie! Great summer feel good movie.
April 22, 2016
Funny and happy.
I found the main character Duncan very relatable to because I'm a socially awkward kid who is only happy at one place and I don't want to leave. This film was amazing brilliant acting and brilliant story line. I highly recommend you to watch it.
½ April 11, 2016
In all honesty, I completely loved this film, it is one of the most heartwarming coming-of-age stories of recent years and blends comedy, drama and emotion perfectly. With top notch performances, most notably from Sam Rockwell as the overzealous-yet-loveable waterpark manager Owen and Steve Carrel as the somewhat unexpectedly despicable Trent, both James and Robb also do wonders as the young duo. The film itself has a nice indie feel to it with a fantastic acoustic score, supported by some fine music choices and a generally satisfying story as a whole. A definite must-watch if you enjoy coming-of-age dramas with that hint of heartwarming humour.
April 3, 2016
"The Way Way Back" really hits home. It's a story I could really connect with and Liam James nailed the awkward, introverted persona. All of the cast give top notch performances and the story is really ground in reality. The dialogue is natural and the movie makes you laugh in one scene, and breaks your heart in the next. It's a very different movie and in the end it left me with a warm yet bittersweet kind of feeling. This is a very good movie that didn't receive that much attention but it is worth a watch due to the impact it may leave on you.
½ March 20, 2016
Not a particularly original film but it's nice enough. An unusual role for Steve Carrel as a straight man who you're meant to dislike. Sam Rockwell is his usual self though. A bit of a feel good film really, especially if you are a spotty moody kid with family trouble little chance of pulling a decent bird.
½ March 9, 2016
warm-hearted coming of age movie
March 6, 2016
Watched this so many times already and it never gets boring. Magical and very warm a must see and a film to be added to any great collection.
½ March 5, 2016
It's a fun story with little to no fluff in it.
½ February 22, 2016
One of this generation's likable coming of age movie for the summer.
½ February 19, 2016
A pretty damn funny and overlooked movie. Would've been a blockbuster if America was more like Canada. I wonder how this movie did in Canada? There's nothing Canadian about this movie, I just think everyone looks like actual people and not that Hollywood bullshit is what i'm saying