The World's End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The World's End Reviews

March 19, 2017
A perfect conclusion to the Cornetto Trilogy. The humour here is in equal parts broad as it is mature. Simon Pegg perfectly captures the British male's midlife crisis, which in turn is emphasised in its many facets by the supporting cast. Admittedly this film's fatalistic atmosphere may seem, in the first instance, as at odds with its two spiritual sequels. That said, this film is preoccupied with the dangerous and insidious nature of expectation. It is a masterpiece concerning nostalgia.
March 12, 2017
A lot of fun. Tons of laughs. Fun, drinking buddy movie.
½ March 8, 2017
Brilliantly raucous, deliriously dark and consistently hilarious, The World's End succeeds in all the same areas as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, as well as many more. You'll be hard pushed to find a fault in the humour of the script and Edgar Wright is a contemporary comic genius, not to mention his ability to get the most out of his actors. The World's End has a great cast, lots of famous faces, and all of them will make you laugh at some point, whether it's the script, an idiosyncracy of a character or a quirk of the story. All in all, The World's End is solid British comedy, underlined by a biting parodic premise and ultra-realistic narrative. The third installment of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy ends weirdly, but fans of Wright, Pegg and Frost, along with Cornetto novices, will find themselves suitably (mightily) entertained.
½ March 1, 2017
I guess there are diminishing returns from these Simon Pegg/Nick Frost comedies directed by Edgar Wright. By this, the third movie (after Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz), the formula seems evident - take a genre, throw in some action, some broad British comedy (though not too dry), and race through things, not forgetting to have a few touching human moments (about friendship). OK, I can't quite recall the earlier movies that well but The World's End feels a bit thin. The plot sees Pegg's loser-who-hasn't-grown-up character getting his old friends (who have) together to do an epic pub crawl that they didn't quite complete back in 1990 when they graduated from high school. However, their old town seems to have been taken over by the Body Snatchers who become increasingly menacing. Cue the action. I'm not saying that there aren't some good witticisms here or that a lot of thought hasn't gone into the script/set design/casting, it's just that it all left me a bit flat. Your average action comedy really is a kind of unchallenging junk food these days -- and I accept that sometimes that's what you want - but it isn't sustaining.
½ February 26, 2017
The 5/5 acting makes a 3/5 story better.
February 23, 2017
Man this movie is awesome and funny
February 20, 2017
I have a soft spot for Simon Pegg/Edgar Wright movies.
February 20, 2017
The first half an hour or so of the film really drags, and is none of the jokes are inventive or really hit at all. The only thing that was keeping my attention was the impeccable chemistry between the main cast. They seem to really enjoy working together and bounce off one another well. The movie really picks up pace once the aliens are revealed.
½ February 14, 2017
It's the weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy, but is still a fun humorous comedy nevertheless.
February 12, 2017
Great movie about robots has a great storyline
January 31, 2017
The worlds end is a good movie pretty good for an Edgar wright movie
January 22, 2017
The best movie of the corneto trilogy and the best movie of the year.
½ January 21, 2017
The World's End is not only my favourite out of the so called Cornetto-Trilogy but also one of the best comedies I've ever seen. It's clever, it's crass, and it has what many comedies lack: Real heart.
½ January 15, 2017
movie cannot be any worse
January 9, 2017
Well i finished it. I really did think it was funny but I was interesting to see how the story plays out. The special effects were good and I chuckled a couple times but overall the only person who looked like they were having fun was Simon pegg.
December 31, 2016
Great movie to watch if you like the combination of actors.
½ December 28, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The now-called 'Cornetto trilogy' concludes to the standard of 'Shuan of the Dead' and then some; bringing even more depth than we saw in the first installment. This is probably Wright's most layered and intellegent film of all actually, as it deals with some great themes and ambitious ideas to an even greater extent than usual. Naturally, it still does so in a quirky and exciting way though, and whilst some feel he's gone too far to discuss things here, I think the character development hooks you to a more-than-adequate degree. In the end, it's hilarious, smart and self-aware, and demonstrates what Edgar Wright can do when he's working at his best.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's no longer a parody of something else, which arguably gives it more area for exploration, but also reduces its stylistic value.
VERDICT: 'The World's End' is my favourite of the trilogy because it's suitably mad and self-aware, but also because it's the most intellegent of the bunch.
December 26, 2016
fun fun fun.
I challenge you to try and not to laugh
December 21, 2016
Very funny humor and great action scenes