The World's End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The World's End Reviews

½ December 2, 2016
After two huge successes in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, closing out the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy was never going to be an easy task for Edgar Wright. And though it comes with its fair share of shortcomings, especially in terms of the aforementioned films, The World's End is a fitting conclusion for the trilogy, as to be expected from someone as comedically consistent as Wright. Right in line with the trilogy, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost lead the pack in a story that ultimately uses an out-there premise to mask a rather touching story of friendship, as well as alcoholism and coming-of-age for this particular entry. Wright has this storytelling mechanic down pat, and while this is far and away the most chaotic and frantic of the three films, it never loses sight of the themes it sets out to portray. It's a story that takes some warming up to (Pegg's Gary King is largely unlikeable and really tests your patience), but when it finds its stride, it's a fun ride to the finish. Pegg and Frost share their familiar chemistry, a pairing that requires no further explanation, and their interactions with a colorful supporting cast, including Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine, and Rosamund Pike, make for lots of fun dynamics. All in all, it's undeniably "Edgar Wright": ultra-stylized and fast talking in its sense of wit, but also with a sense of heart. It may be a step down from his previous works, but even so, Edgar Wright's the kind of director who can make a pretty great movie even on a slight off-day.
November 18, 2016
4/5 Ratings for The World's End
F:89%
R:11%
Critics Consensus: Madcap and heartfelt, Edgar Wright's apocalypse comedy The World's End benefits from the typically hilarious Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, with a plethora of supporting players.
½ November 18, 2016
The World's End is a film that while it is undoubtedly the weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy it's still an amazing and unbelievably smart movie. The comedy for the most part hits bulls eye. Every actor hits it completely out of the park, especially Pegg. Simon Pegg is without a doubt one of the most underrated actors working today and he gives the performance of his career in this film. Gary King is a funny, annoying yet absolutely loveable character who can evoke laughs and also genuine emotion from the viewers. His comedic timing and delivery is spot on and he gels so brilliantly with the terrific script but his scene in 'The Worlds End' with Nick Frost at the end is heartbreaking and is the most emotional moment of the entire Cornetto Trilogy. Speaking of Frost he is brilliant here. He's really the audience's character as like us he's dragged along on this crazy journey and is very cynical about Gary. Frost is so brilliant here, when he's playing drunk he's very convincing and by the end of the film you realise he hit it out of the park. This isn't to discredit every other actor as they all hit it out of the park and there isn't a bad performance in the film but Pegg and Frost are just fantastic here. Edgar Wright also does an amazing job here. This is possibly the best directed of the trilogy as there are so many amazing little touches that make this film incredibly rewatchable. This film has this energy and fun atmosphere that doesn't relent from when the film opens to when it closes. The action sequences are also fantastic and while there aren't a lot of them they are still amazing. The fight in 'The Beehive' especially is amazing and it's brilliantly choreographed and very thrilling. Just like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz the script here is amazing. It's so well written and has so many touches that you won't pick up on your first, second or maybe even third viewing. The comedy is amazing and nearly all of the jokes hit. There are of course a couple jokes that maybe don't quite hit and it's definitely not as quotable as Hot Fuzz but that's again not to discredit as the jokes are brilliantly thought out and written. The recurring gags like the fence, the foreshadowing and the cornetto are all here and as expected they are brilliant. When I first watched this film I wasn't a fan of the ending but upon a rewatch the ending of The Worlds End is brilliant. It's dramatic, it's funny and most importantly it's progressive which is the entire point of this film. This film is all about letting go of the past and the ending perfectly captures letting go and holding on to the past. If I had any problems I would say that the movie has a few noticeable plot holes and also it can get a little annoying that towards the end that huge masses of robots, or blanks, are charging at our characters but only a few will actually attack them. However technically The Worlds End is flawless without breathtaking cinematography, editing, sound design, music and lighting. Not perfect and it can't quite live up to the other two which is not an easy task. However a fantastic finale to one of cinemas best trilogies. A
November 16, 2016
My favorite one out of the trilogy.
November 12, 2016
I'm convinced Edgar Wright is the best comedy director working right now. Not only is this script one of the tightest and funniest I've ever heard, but the directing and cinematography borders on virtuosic. This is clearly the best of the Cornetto Trilogy in my opinion, and anyone who likes things should like this.
October 30, 2016
A great, fun film with hilarious dialogue and great performances (especially Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Martin Freeman)

Not as good as 'Shaun Of the Dead' nor 'Hot Fuzz' though.

A solid 9/10 or 4 stars
½ October 27, 2016
The weakest of the Cornetto trilogy. Mainly because Simon Pegg just over-did it. Still plenty of laughs.
October 18, 2016
??? ??? ????????? ???????? ??? ??? ???.
October 11, 2016
Otra increíble película en esta "trilogía" me gustó mucho la historia, habían cosas que no explicaban bien pero no interesa, al principio no fue tan chistosa, pero llegó a un punto donde no podía parar de reír, muy buena.
October 9, 2016
The World's End is a hilarious, surprisingly intense, and heart-felt movie, it's freaking fantastic.
September 20, 2016
The movie's twist halfway through works really well, and the comedy from the acting/directing team is excellent as always--but overall, it is their third best from the Trilogy.
½ September 18, 2016
I think I missed the joke. I found it boring and predictable. Struggled to watch it all the way through
September 15, 2016
The World's End(2013)
Starring:Simon Pegg,Nick Frost,Rosamund Pike,Paddy Considine,Eddie Marsan, Martin Freeman,David Bradley,Bill Nighy,Thomas Law,Zachary Bailess,Jasper Levine,James Tarpey,Luke Bromley,Sophie Evans,Samantha White, Rose Reynolds,Richard Hadfield,Flora Slorach,Francesca Reidie, Charlotte Reidie, Michael Smiley,and Pierce Brosnan.
Review
GOOD FOOD. FINE ALES. TOTAL ANNIHILATION.
"We are going it to make to the world's if it kills us"
The final chapter in Edgar Wright's Cornetto Trilogy is considered the weakest but I fine it it to be the most fun. You like beer or ice cream? Either way you should love this movie.
The film is set twenty years later after their first attempt,the five musketeers reunite to complete the ultimate challenge-one night,five friends,twelve bars-a boozy quest on which only the strongest will survive. They soon realize that reaching their final pub,The World's End,may be the least of their troubles. They're having the time of their lives,ready to take on the world...but tonight they might have to save it.
This film is a cornetto film at heart but it spends more time on it's satiric look on science fiction and it's characters first. We still get those fence jokes,a cornetto reference and lot's pf pints. The satiric story is original,fun and makes for the funniest film in the cornetto trilogy,I mean I laughed hard more times in this then I did Hot Fuzz.
The characters are easily the best thing in this movie cause you probably know someone like them.
Everything you could want in a comedy is here,the action,the laughs,the love,the cartoonish stuff going on if you want to grab a group of friends and have a good time I recommend you go to The World's End,which I'm giving a five out of five.
September 6, 2016
A lot of fun. Tons of laughs. Fun, drinking buddy movie.
September 2, 2016
I enjoy this movie a lot because it's relatable yet escapism and has an underlying message.....like the classic Trek episodes did.Definitely worth a 2nd or 3rd watch.
½ September 1, 2016
Fantastic movie and hilariously funny. Best movie yet of 2013.
½ August 25, 2016
Nice! I can't say it's the best of the bunch, but it is a very fitting way to finish these Tales of Ice Cream and Blood. Everyone is great in it! The action is fun and interesting. And, of course, the jokes, puns, slapstick, and running gags make this movie the greatest comedy I've seen in a while. Thanks for a wonderful ride guys. Now what's next?

UPDATE: I CAN say it is the best of the bunch! I love it! There is only one thing in this movie I don't like. It is near perfection. I like that it is more emotionally centered than the others. Thanks again, guys.
½ August 22, 2016
The final chapter of the Cornetto trilogy feels and looks a lot like Shaun of the Dead a couple of times. While it starts out like another Hangover episode, the twist of an alien conspiracy ends in a (blue) bloody slaughter in English pubs. That's pretty exciting and fun, the fights are wonderfully choreographed and the effects pretty convincing. The cast and the humor work too. Only the ending is surprisingly dark but not without optimism. But it makes you wish a fourth entry of Wright and Pegg reuniting.
August 18, 2016
While funny, the movie felt a little tired. Definitely the low point in the trilogy. Worth a watch, but not the equal of the other two.
August 17, 2016
Yeah well it wasn't entirely without hidden depths, but they were well-hidden. I quite enjoyed it, while Eleanor was unmoved. It's a comedy, it's daft, and it does address the disappointment that greets men of a certain age, once youthful enthusiasms have been thoroughly extinguished. Not a total waste of time ...one for the blokes though.