Thor: Ragnarok - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thor: Ragnarok Reviews

February 20, 2019
jokes and slapstick should not be in a Thor based movie... period.. if you seen Thor vs Hulk and Planet Hulk animated movies, you know what i talk about
February 20, 2019
It's barely a Thor movie, it's not a Planet Hulk movie, it's not a Ragnarok movie, it's a lame attempt at a mishmash. Blech
½ February 19, 2019
A dumb Thor movie tries to play at being smart.
February 19, 2019
its my favourite movie its really amazing watch more time
½ February 18, 2019
Funny and love all the planet hulk in it
½ February 17, 2019
I love all the marvel movies so I can not wait to see this
February 14, 2019
The best entry in the Thor series and it delivers hilarious laughs. Revived the Thor franchise
½ February 12, 2019
Ragnarok looks great, entertains, and is helped by a more lighthearted tone
February 12, 2019
Ragnarok is possibly the best Marvel film yet. I adore it. It's super entertaining and fun. Jeff Goldbloom's contributions are also side-splittingly hilarious
½ February 11, 2019
personally I absolutely LOVE this movie, Thor is such an interesting character, and I think hela is an awesome villain. The movie is hilarious, and I laughed out loud in the theatre several times, along with many others in that theatre. There was comedy,and action that felt well balanced out. And I think the Thor with powers concept is really cool, but I think his powers are inconsistent, he falls on the floor or passes out after being shocked, and other times he can beat the hulk and just beat all of the dead soldiers up. But overall I love this movie, Iâ(TM)d give it 4.5 stars out of 5 stars.
½ February 10, 2019
Best of the Marvel movies so far.
½ February 10, 2019
A bit to much comedy scenes for my taste, but good over all
½ February 9, 2019
Halfway through Thor: Ragnarok, my wife turned to me and said, "This feels a lot like a Guardians of the Galaxy movie." She was specifically referring to the film's forced and blatant humor, but the similarities were everywhere. From the brighter color palette of the visuals to the infusion of classic rock, one could easily mistake Ragnarok for Marvel's other, space-centric franchise. And from Marvel's perspective, applying their blueprint on the Guardians pictures to Thor makes perfect business sense. Despite being the strongest an Avenger, the Thor movies have fared worse critically and financially compared to that lesser-known property. (At two pictures each, Thor has earned more than $500 million less than Guardians of the Galaxy.)

To re-align Thor, Marvel turned to comedian-turned-director Taika Waititi to expand the comedy (however juvenile) and the cast of central characters (hello Hulk and Doctor Strange). Yet while "enriching" the humor, Ragnarok's script unfortunately places an emphasis on character interaction over character development. Throughout the course the film, our titular hero comes to lose his father, his hammer, and even his eye, but none of that resonates with the audience because the movie's tone is constantly in flux. At one point, Bruce Banner recounts to Thor how he succumbed to his inner demons and has been living as Hulk for years - now that's interesting, and should be heavy, but within five seconds Banner is mocking Tony Stark for how tight he wears his pants.

Believe me, when I read reviews that Thor: Ragnarok was "out-of-this-world," I assumed that summation was figurative, but in actuality, it's strictly literal - Thor's latest adventure is nothing more than a Saturday morning cartoon set in space.
½ February 7, 2019
With a bit of sci-fi and a few laughs, it's one of the better of these films, but the dumb stuff and cheese still both rear their heads.
½ February 4, 2019
This movie was incredible, it is my favourite marvel movie in the line. I loved tiki watitiï¿ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)s korg and Jeff goldblum as the grandmaster. The movie was very creative and original. I would definitely recommend this film to any superhero fan.
½ February 1, 2019
'Thor: Ragnarok'? More like 'Bore: Ragnasuck'. What a stupid movie. One of the worst and most overrated superhero movies ever. Worst Marvel movie of 2017. I can't believe this garbage has a certified fresh 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. I like the storyline it told, but it wasn't executed correctly... The amount of unnecessary, forced jokes and slapstick comedy was ridiculous and ruined it. Taika Waititi ruined the Thor Trilogy by badly directing this franchise-killing threequel. Ragnarok is better than The Dark World, but it still sucks. Ragnarok is the second worst Thor movie in the trilogy. The first Thor movie is still the best one in the trilogy and is the only good Thor movie in the franchise. The Thor sequels suck. That idiot Taika Waititi butchered the Ragnarok storyline by turning it into a stupid, childish, kiddie Saturday Night Live parody. Ragnarok was Thor's greatest and most epic storyline in the comics, but that moron Taika Waititi fucked it up and ruined Thor's greatest, darkest, and most epic storyline ever. Ragnarok was this dark, gritty, gruesome, brutal, nightmarish event in which Asgard and other realms were being destroyed by the all-mighty, firey demon lord Surtur, thousands of Asgardians were supposed to be brutally slaughtered by Surtur, all Norse gods die, and an endless cycle of death and rebirth. That's how it should've been like in the movie! Some of the casting was god-awful. Tessa Thompson was horribly miscast as the Valkyrie. The Valkyrie is supposed to be portrayed as a white woman with long blonde hair. And Tessa Thompson's accent was horrible and cringey. Karl Urban was terribly miscast as Skurge the Executioner and his British accent was TERRIBLE. Skurge was a wasted villain in this movie, he was nothing more than a henchman to Hela. And why did he use guns at the end? Since when does the real Executioner from the comics ever use guns? He is only supposed to use an ax as a weapon. Hela was even ruined in this movie too. Why did she have to be Thor and Loki's long lost sister? In Norse mythology and in the comics, Hela (the goddess of death) is Loki's daughter. Surtur should've been the main villain instead of her. Oh, and Odin's death was not emotional at all. Thor and Loki found him on Midgard, then he suddenly just mysteriously disappears out of nowhere off the phase of the universe. It was never explained what happened to him in the movie. The movie didn't explain his whereabouts. It's not like Odin was ever portrayed well in the Thor movies to make the audience have an emotional connection and attachment to him. He was mostly just a grumpy old man in the previous Thor films, so the emotion here is lost. His death scene was weightless, not to mention a huge waste of Anthony Hopkins' talents. The film's color grading was too bright. Some of the dialogue was cheesy. The pacing was horrible and very slow. The jokes were out of control and derailed all the serious moments in the movie. Thor completely acted out of character in this movie, he was an unfunny, dorky comedian instead of the god of thunder. Chris Hemsworth was not Thor in this movie, he was just himself in this movie. Taika Waititi totally ruined the character of Thor. The movie was weird, I felt like I was watching a fan-made film. Oh, and Mark Ruffalo's acting sucked like usual, except in this film his acting was much worse. The Hulk was mostly just a comic relief character in this film. When the colosseum battle began, that's where I started to fall asleep because the movie was so boring and extremely slow-paced. Overall, Thor: Ragnarok is ultimately a disappointing, overrated, shallow popcorn flick that lacks depth, heart, substance, seriousness, and stakes and relies too much on stale, childish humor and style over substance.

Positives:
. Tom Hiddleston's Loki
. No Natalie Portman, no Jane Foster
. No Darcy
. No Selvig
. No intern
. No stupid, forced love story and romance
. Almost no Midgard

. Pacing
. Some of the visuals
. Narration at the beginning
. Execution
. Soundtrack (Immigrant Song doesn't fit with the storyline)
. Anthony Hopkins being wasted
. Tessa Thompson as the Valkyrie
. Karl Urban as Skurge
. Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk/Bruce Banner
. Clancy Brown as the voice of Surtur instead of Rick Wasserman
. Hela as the main villain instead of Surtur
. Hela ends up being another wasted and forgettable MCU villain

Rating: 4.6/10
½ January 31, 2019
most fun part was loki screaming yes!!, watch it on youtube and you dident miss anything
January 30, 2019
Exciting, hilarious, great characters!
January 29, 2019
By far the best Thor film, and one of the best the MCU ever offered. Finally some character development for the Hulk and Banner. A great villain, with Cate Blanchett really stepping up to the part. And please, someone give Valkyrie a standalone movie. She deserves it.
½ January 26, 2019
Thor Ragnarok...I thought Marvel lost their minds when they made this movie, but it was I who lost their mind. It succeeds in delivering an over the top, funny, refreshing comic book film. It's just funny and it doesn't stop being funny.