Time After Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Time After Time Reviews

September 18, 2016
Charmingly sentimental.
August 10, 2016
While not a horrible premise, this film fails on nearly every level. OK for a date night - especially if your date has never actually read any of Wells tales.

Surprising that Meyer would soon direct the most beloved of Trek films, TWOK. Perhaps he merely had to get mediocrity out of his system with this one movie.
½ August 7, 2016
Entertaining and interesting time travel movie

In 1893 London, H. G. Wells is hosting a dinner party in his home to show off his new invention: a time machine, which he keeps in his basement but hasn't had the nerve to test yet. One of his guests, a surgeon by profession, turns out to be Jack the Ripper, fresh from his latest murder, who, as the police come into Wells' house in pursuit of him, escapes in -- you guessed it, the time machine. For technical reasons the machine returns without him, and Wells feels duty bound to use it to pursue "Jack" to 1979 San Francisco, where the machine is kept as a museum exhibit. Thus begins the complex but clear plot of this time machine thriller by Nicholas Meyer, who as writer was also responsible for the well known Sherlock Holmes follow-up The Seven Per Cent Solution. The film is well made and entertaining, with good acting by the leads Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen (who fell in love during the production and subsequently married,) a thick and convincing Victorian London atmosphere in the opening scenes (though I believe they are studio shot,) with as a bonus on location photography of many of the best known locations in San Francisco. Recommended as light but intelligent entertainment, and should certainly appeal to anyone familiar with San Francisco in the late 70s, as well as those interested in Wells or in the time travel genre. Rated PG, rather surprisingly, since some of the violent scenes, though brief, are rather grim, and there is a drug scene and depictions of prostitution. The 2002 Warner Home Video DVD I saw it on if of good quality.
July 3, 2016
Not a bad film but it's a bit daft. Jack the ripper escapes the police in HG Wells's time machine to the present day (an easy option for the film makers). Wells goes chasing after him and we see him discover how the world has changed, not necessarily for the better. - see star trek 4 or 5, can't remember. A wasted opportunity to explore time travel; it's actually more like a comedy romance than a sci-fi.
January 7, 2016
HG Wells and Jack The Ripper time travel to 1970s San Francisco and duke it out over a young Mary Steenburgen.
½ January 1, 2016
not bad modern period pic but i still prefer the MGM 'the time machine' version of this HG Well's sci-fi classic wish i worked at the bank mary steenbergen works at she gets the longest lunches ever!
December 21, 2015
time travel movies often reveal an unsolvable paradox but Time After Time swerves around that conundrum very well. Cleverly done and enjoyable.
December 8, 2015
A film with non-stop fun! Time After Time will keep you glued to your T.V.
½ November 28, 2015
An average sci-fi, so to say... Just because we can't change the past, looks like this movie chose the easier route of changing the future.... oh... but it does end up altering the past - ridiculously.
Skip it.
November 2, 2015
I liked it better than I thought -- very fun and well acted
October 22, 2015
Though its imaginative premise truly begs a more vivid and memorable effort, "Time After Time" still charms the audience with light-hearted laughs and some engaging set pieces.
October 15, 2015
Time after time

I was surprised that the films starts off with a first person perspective with Jack the Ripper.

I think that Malcom Macdowell does a pretty good job in this film. The 1895 sets look amazing and dead on.

What I have issues with is the look of the time travel effect that looks cheesy.
Also Orsen Wells says that the time travel effect will leave him in the same location where as in this film he is sent to San Franscico in 1979.

I like how show San Fransco in this film with Golden Gate Bridge, Red Wood Forest, Palace of Fine Arts,

I was glad that the gore and killings of the victims was inferred with blood rather than making it look really gruesome.
½ September 16, 2015
A delightful, entertaining trifle of a film that shows both the possibilities and limitations of taking liberties with literature and history.
September 11, 2015
a scary strange film
½ June 20, 2015
'The Time Machine' is one of my favorite movies, so I've been avoiding this one because of it's completely preposterous premise. However, sometimes that's what it takes to make a unique movie. The special effects leave a lot to be desired, and like all pre-Back to the Future time travel films, there are a lot of logic holes and paradoxes. But I liked it. The best part was Wells' character, starting out as an optimist, and the realization that regardless of technology, the human propensity for violence persists. Grade B.
½ June 6, 2015
H.G. Wells, played wonderfully by Malcolm McDowell, uses his time machine to pursue Jack the Ripper, a wonderfully creepy David Warner, into modern day San Francisco. Written and directed by Nicholas Meyer, the fun set up offers lots of opportunities for funny fish-out-of-water comedy and for plenty of interesting verbal debates between Wells and the Ripper about whether this modern world is the idealized world Wells predicted for the future or if it's a twisted and demented world better suited to the homicidal likes of Jack the Ripper. But perhaps the most likable part of the film is the unexpected romance between Wells and the very modern and liberated bank teller, Mary Steenburgen. Steenburgen has always had a unique charm that I've always like and that she's still able to pull off nearly 40 years later on FOX's "Last Man on Earth." Steenburgen's charm is really something special in the film and I think it's my favorite of all her film roles. She alone makes this film worth watching. Also of note is the nicely old fashioned score by old Hollywood composter Miklós Rózsa in one of his final film compositions. The film also features Patti D'Arbanville, Shelley Hackj and Corey Feldman as "Boy at Museum."
April 3, 2015
Em 1893, o escritor HG Wells inventa uma máquina do tempo e precisa usá-la para impedir Jack, o Estripador de cometer crimes em 1979. Ele entăo vai para o futuro e para em... San Francisco. Guilty pleasure e nada além disso.
½ December 8, 2014
Surprisingly dark and smart despite its wacky premise, 'Time After Time' offers a frequently amusing time travelling yarn. Even if some of Meyer's direction and dialogue is a little pedestrian, the three leads more than make up for it, with McDowell at his most likeable while Warner is an imposing baddie.
October 3, 2014
not a bad semi forgotten time travel movie. its got a big plot hole but it still fun. surprisingly dark for a pg movie.