Tiny Furniture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tiny Furniture Reviews

½ November 7, 2016
Dunham's version of "Reality Bites," that collision between college expectations and harsh reality, sorta runs out of gas by about the third time she confesses to her increasingly irate mom, "I'm figuring it out."
½ November 7, 2016
Lena Durham ejemplifica a la perfección mi percepción con los millennial de una generación arriba: siento que están muy equivocados pero a la vez sé que lo están haciendo bien. Tiny Furniture fue una película que disfruté mucho pese a lo insufribles que son casi todos sus personajes por mucho que estén seguros de lo contrario. Me dejó con ganas de ver más de ella (la vi hace como 5 años, pero me di cuenta de que había dejado el botón de "want to see" desde entonces).
½ August 27, 2016
This film has an extremely boring story line. Super boring, honestly surprised I even watched the entire thing. What was the point in this movie?
August 25, 2016
Something about Lena Dunham's work is so honest and beautiful
July 7, 2016
Lena Denham looks pretty with long hair!
June 16, 2016
Lena Dunham es una escritora es una escritora de otra galaxia.
June 4, 2016
I love that you get to see the awkward and weird decisions Lena's character makes. Sometimes impulsive, sometimes doesn't make sense to the viewer, but it felt real to me.
May 23, 2016
Es simple y modesta. Lena Dunham demuestra su naturalidad en una historia que no ocurre mucho pero donde no se cometen muchos imprevistos.
May 22, 2016
There's understandably warm notes in the awkward comedy of the film and the tone is very consistent but it tends to drag as long as possible and flop down as a result. There is definitely a target audience with awkward, dry humor but I've seen that niche executed better.
April 8, 2016
A pretty wholesome film that's funny, intelligent, and relatable, "Tiny Furniture" holds up a well-polished mirror to real life.
January 24, 2016
Relatable AF but still boring as hell.
October 29, 2015
I loved the main actress voice, the main character she was very intoxicating to listen. The people that she lets into her life are scum family included, the kooky people turn out to be the loveable best friends and the right guy that treated her right turned out to be scum in the end.
½ October 9, 2015
A TOTAL PIECE OF SENELESS JUNK-UNAMUSING/DULL.ENDING WAS REALLY BOGUS.DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN ENJOYABLE/GOOD STORY OF A MOVIE-NOT CLOSE.
½ September 28, 2015
How does dreck like this get financed? There is nothing here that warranted making a movie. Do something better with your time. Like watching paint dry. Or scrubbing the grout with a toothbrush.
½ September 21, 2015
"meh." we laughed a few times, but why do people love this girl so much?
September 6, 2015
Pretty boring boring look into a loser's life.
½ September 6, 2015
I really wanted to like this, and expected to. It was about 20 minutes from the end that I finally realized, hopes dashed, that this just wasn't good enough to like. I like movies that are all story - I do. But this...the story sucked. This movie is as self-absorbed as its main character (and, unfortunately, by extension, it's writer and director).
September 3, 2015
IDK Tiny furniature is alright. Its shot and acted alright. Its a indie film made for 65k okie...
The pacing though........................its like molasses............ One minute felt like Two. I was watching saying how much is left..... I'm only 35 minutes in WHAT?! I felt like it was at least an hour. Little progression from each scene

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... At least her heart was in the right place.....
August 16, 2015
Pleasantly surprised.
July 28, 2015
In the last 4 years Lena Dunham has ascended to some new kind unprecedented Post-Feminst Level of Celebrity/Artist/Spokesperson that is as impressive as it is problematic. Some people should just avoid "Twitter." But whatever she has come to represent or misrepresent does not matter when it come to her 2010 film directorial/writer/star debut.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to realize that Dunham came to make "Tiny Furniture" because her mother's artistic success has given her a very privileged and monied existence. But when it comes to "Tiny Furniture" the advantage of opportunity is actually what fuels this surprisingly refreshingly self-aware film.

Essentially, if for some reason you've never seen it, this is Lena Dunham playing an almost cringe-worthy version of herself. Her highly respected artist mother plays the mother and Dunham's real-life sister plays her sister. And much of the film itself it filmed in her mother's NYC expansive condo. Dunham had just graduated from college when she made this film about a wanna-be artist who returns "home" after completing her education. "Aura" is trying to figure it all out.

Her mother and her sister would just be happy if she would find a job and get her own place, but "Aura" feels she has "earned" the right to take a bit of time off to figure things out regarding her future and what she wants out of life. Upon her arrival home she encounters an old pal who is as "damaged" as she is a bad influence on Aura. Aura gets into arguments with her mother and sister. She lets her only "real" friend down in favor of just hanging out at home complaining or hanging with her old pal. She secures a job in which she is most certainly a sort of set up for failure and a way too low paycheck. She sets out on a lame attempt at two "relationships" which are really more about sexual experimentation than seeking "love" -- one of these two "men" seems a to be too realistic and logical for Aura. She seems more interested in a fellow lost hipster. When she is finally able to secure his seduction it leads to an uncomfortable sort of variation toward sexual abuse than "encounter." All the while, Aura is really more interested in testing the limits with her mother, figuring out her mother's admittedly odd approach to home organization and her mother's obsessions with tiny objects for an upcoming art project.

What makes this low-fi movie so very important is that Dunham is truly fearless in her ability to use her all too self-aware sense of false entitlement, spoiled adult-woman-child, self-centered obsessions and her casual disregard for others.

No matter how one looks at it, "Tiny Furniture" is an often funny and painfully insightful examination of a spoiled rich kid "buying time" until the sprit moves her to do something. Anything. And it's razor sharp observations are all the more potent and "real" because they are being made by the young woman who has written, directed and staring as a not-so-fictional version of herself.

This is cinematically ballsy film in which the artist is so clearly aware of her character and herself that the film actually goes to great lengths to remind us that Aura is spoiled rotten adult for whom everything is given too easily. And none of this is played for cheap laughs. In fact, much of this film takes us to some very dark and sad realizations.

For all of her bravado and tenacity, Aura is riddled with self-doubt and self-loathing. She is desperate for acceptance, love and forgiveness. The problem is her desperation is not as strong as her laziness.

This is a time capsule moment of a film even if Lena Dunham has not achieved such huge success after "Tiny Furniture" came out. It is worth noting that this film is so very good that Criterion fought to release it for DVD/Blu-Ray and VOD distribution. And it says a great deal that Paul Schrader was eager to offer an interview about the film and its maker's importance. As the great Schrader praise Dunham's achievement, he also offers a great deal of pause regarding whether or not Dunham has the sort of talent or personality who will be able to navigate the current and ever-changing rules of the Entertainment Industry. He basically shrugs his shoulders: Paul Schrader has no idea it "Tiny Furniture" will be a one hit wonder or if there is a future for Dunham.

I think we all know the answer.

The bummer is that I doubt we will ever see Lena Dunham manage to do what she does here. Her hit HBO TV Show was initially an interesting take on wealthy self-entitled "Girls" has de-evolved into a sort of provocative celebration of this entitlement. It may not be the intention, but that is how "Girls" and nearly everything she has written, said or done since this amazing film was released.

What price fame. But no matter what she does or doesn't do -- Lena Dunham made an amazing film. "Tiny Furniture" is a very important film. It should not be missed.