Tiny Furniture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tiny Furniture Reviews

½ August 27, 2016
This film has an extremely boring story line. Super boring, honestly surprised I even watched the entire thing. What was the point in this movie?
August 25, 2016
Something about Lena Dunham's work is so honest and beautiful
July 7, 2016
Lena Denham looks pretty with long hair!
June 16, 2016
Lena Dunham es una escritora es una escritora de otra galaxia.
June 4, 2016
I love that you get to see the awkward and weird decisions Lena's character makes. Sometimes impulsive, sometimes doesn't make sense to the viewer, but it felt real to me.
May 23, 2016
Es simple y modesta. Lena Dunham demuestra su naturalidad en una historia que no ocurre mucho pero donde no se cometen muchos imprevistos.
May 22, 2016
There's understandably warm notes in the awkward comedy of the film and the tone is very consistent but it tends to drag as long as possible and flop down as a result. There is definitely a target audience with awkward, dry humor but I've seen that niche executed better.
April 8, 2016
A pretty wholesome film that's funny, intelligent, and relatable, "Tiny Furniture" holds up a well-polished mirror to real life.
January 24, 2016
Relatable AF but still boring as hell.
October 29, 2015
I loved the main actress voice, the main character she was very intoxicating to listen. The people that she lets into her life are scum family included, the kooky people turn out to be the loveable best friends and the right guy that treated her right turned out to be scum in the end.
½ October 9, 2015
½ September 28, 2015
How does dreck like this get financed? There is nothing here that warranted making a movie. Do something better with your time. Like watching paint dry. Or scrubbing the grout with a toothbrush.
½ September 21, 2015
"meh." we laughed a few times, but why do people love this girl so much?
September 6, 2015
Pretty boring boring look into a loser's life.
½ September 6, 2015
I really wanted to like this, and expected to. It was about 20 minutes from the end that I finally realized, hopes dashed, that this just wasn't good enough to like. I like movies that are all story - I do. But this...the story sucked. This movie is as self-absorbed as its main character (and, unfortunately, by extension, it's writer and director).
September 3, 2015
IDK Tiny furniature is alright. Its shot and acted alright. Its a indie film made for 65k okie...
The pacing though........................its like molasses............ One minute felt like Two. I was watching saying how much is left..... I'm only 35 minutes in WHAT?! I felt like it was at least an hour. Little progression from each scene

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... At least her heart was in the right place.....
August 16, 2015
Pleasantly surprised.
July 28, 2015
In the last 4 years Lena Dunham has ascended to some new kind unprecedented Post-Feminst Level of Celebrity/Artist/Spokesperson that is as impressive as it is problematic. Some people should just avoid "Twitter." But whatever she has come to represent or misrepresent does not matter when it come to her 2010 film directorial/writer/star debut.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to realize that Dunham came to make "Tiny Furniture" because her mother's artistic success has given her a very privileged and monied existence. But when it comes to "Tiny Furniture" the advantage of opportunity is actually what fuels this surprisingly refreshingly self-aware film.

Essentially, if for some reason you've never seen it, this is Lena Dunham playing an almost cringe-worthy version of herself. Her highly respected artist mother plays the mother and Dunham's real-life sister plays her sister. And much of the film itself it filmed in her mother's NYC expansive condo. Dunham had just graduated from college when she made this film about a wanna-be artist who returns "home" after completing her education. "Aura" is trying to figure it all out.

Her mother and her sister would just be happy if she would find a job and get her own place, but "Aura" feels she has "earned" the right to take a bit of time off to figure things out regarding her future and what she wants out of life. Upon her arrival home she encounters an old pal who is as "damaged" as she is a bad influence on Aura. Aura gets into arguments with her mother and sister. She lets her only "real" friend down in favor of just hanging out at home complaining or hanging with her old pal. She secures a job in which she is most certainly a sort of set up for failure and a way too low paycheck. She sets out on a lame attempt at two "relationships" which are really more about sexual experimentation than seeking "love" -- one of these two "men" seems a to be too realistic and logical for Aura. She seems more interested in a fellow lost hipster. When she is finally able to secure his seduction it leads to an uncomfortable sort of variation toward sexual abuse than "encounter." All the while, Aura is really more interested in testing the limits with her mother, figuring out her mother's admittedly odd approach to home organization and her mother's obsessions with tiny objects for an upcoming art project.

What makes this low-fi movie so very important is that Dunham is truly fearless in her ability to use her all too self-aware sense of false entitlement, spoiled adult-woman-child, self-centered obsessions and her casual disregard for others.

No matter how one looks at it, "Tiny Furniture" is an often funny and painfully insightful examination of a spoiled rich kid "buying time" until the sprit moves her to do something. Anything. And it's razor sharp observations are all the more potent and "real" because they are being made by the young woman who has written, directed and staring as a not-so-fictional version of herself.

This is cinematically ballsy film in which the artist is so clearly aware of her character and herself that the film actually goes to great lengths to remind us that Aura is spoiled rotten adult for whom everything is given too easily. And none of this is played for cheap laughs. In fact, much of this film takes us to some very dark and sad realizations.

For all of her bravado and tenacity, Aura is riddled with self-doubt and self-loathing. She is desperate for acceptance, love and forgiveness. The problem is her desperation is not as strong as her laziness.

This is a time capsule moment of a film even if Lena Dunham has not achieved such huge success after "Tiny Furniture" came out. It is worth noting that this film is so very good that Criterion fought to release it for DVD/Blu-Ray and VOD distribution. And it says a great deal that Paul Schrader was eager to offer an interview about the film and its maker's importance. As the great Schrader praise Dunham's achievement, he also offers a great deal of pause regarding whether or not Dunham has the sort of talent or personality who will be able to navigate the current and ever-changing rules of the Entertainment Industry. He basically shrugs his shoulders: Paul Schrader has no idea it "Tiny Furniture" will be a one hit wonder or if there is a future for Dunham.

I think we all know the answer.

The bummer is that I doubt we will ever see Lena Dunham manage to do what she does here. Her hit HBO TV Show was initially an interesting take on wealthy self-entitled "Girls" has de-evolved into a sort of provocative celebration of this entitlement. It may not be the intention, but that is how "Girls" and nearly everything she has written, said or done since this amazing film was released.

What price fame. But no matter what she does or doesn't do -- Lena Dunham made an amazing film. "Tiny Furniture" is a very important film. It should not be missed.
½ June 23, 2015
This movie reminded me a lot of Frances Ha. Both are comedy-dramas about privileged young women straight out of college who're struggling to get by in New York City, both in their romantic lives and professional lives. It's more than just plot, though; the movies have the same sort of tone and style to them, with no one specific plot, preferring to coast and just follow these women around to watch them as they try to grow up. I think Frances Ha did it a lot better; Frances herself is a more immediately engaging character, and that movie's a lot funnier, with more likable and vivid characters.

I enjoyed Tiny Furniture for the most part, and in the first half-hour or so I'd accepted that it was going to have that loose style. I'd pretty much accepted how I was going to feel about the movie: it wasn't going to make me feel a lot of emotions, but I'd enjoy watching it. I was always a big fan of Girls, so it was funny seeing Alex Karpovsky and Jemima Kirke popping up. Jed had some similarities to Ray from Girls but was ultimately different, less funny and more of a manipulative dick. Charlotte, though, was pretty much exactly like Jessa. And though the film is less outwardly wacky than Girls, there's a lot of similarities in tone. It has a lot of quirky characters that reminded me of Girls characters (Jed seemed like a character who'd be in Girls, but not like Ray), and there's a lot of witty lines that reminded me of the show, too. So overall I was content to just sit back and enjoy the loose hanging out vibe and occasional funny joke without needing a big emotional base.

Around half an hour through the movie, I realized I still had a whole hour left, and I became a little bored throughout the middle section. The loose vibe can work well for a movie that moves a lot like Frances Ha, but this movie occasionally felt lethargic and unfocused, with a lot of subplots that didn't really go anywhere, like with Frankie. I realized that simply delivering a funny line once every few minutes wasn't enough to make me sufficiently enjoy the film when I wasn't really feeling any feelings or getting much thematic depth or character development out of it.

That persisted almost until the end, but I was surprised several times during the movie by some scenes of real poignancy. Pretty much anything that involved Aura, Siri, or Nadine in the movie was a lot more interesting than anything involving tertiary characters like Jed and Keith. There's a real sense of family between these three actresses, which is obviously at least partly because they're family in real life. When Aura blows up at her mom, it shouldn't work very well because it hasn't been telegraphed well enough, but the feeling of realness between them makes it a little more emotional. And all of the emotional scenes work not because they have a strong emotional backing from what have come before them, but because Dunham (as both an actor and a writer) is smart enough to pick up on the smaller details that make them poignant. I really liked, for example, Nadine's reactions upon walking in on Aura's outburst. She sort of just stands and observes, then she giggles a little. It's partly Grace Dunham's performance, but that whole series of reactions just felt really real to me.

So though I grew tired of the romantic subplots and general aimlessness, all the family scenes made up for it. I liked Nadine blowing up at Aura during her party, which similarly kind of came out of nowhere but still hurt to watch because the actors sold the hell out of it. I loved Aura coming into Siri's room, apologizing to her sister, then trying to cuddle with her before being shoved away in a very sisterly fashion. I loved Aura's fascination with her mom's old journals, because I've had that same curiosity about my parents' and grandparents' lives before. And I love the last scene (though the last line seemed kind of abrupt and random to me), which, for some reason, really touched me. A huge part of it is the actors, with Laurie Simmons calmly telling Aura about her younger years and Lena Dunham curiously listening. But it's also the direction, staying tight on Siri's face while allowing us to see Aura leaning over her in anticipation like a little kid. Maybe it's not just those, though. There was just this feeling I got that's hard to explain. It was just...peaceful. Most of the movie wasn't focused or fun enough for me, but in that scene, I cared more about the characters and their relationships than I would've expected from the first half-hour.

I'm increasingly starting to hate grading things because I never know how generous or strict to be. For me, three stars means I thought the movie was 'okay,' not really considering it good enough to say I solidly enjoyed it. Most 'okay' movies I label that way because they're kind of good but just fail to make an impression on me. But Tiny Furniture is kind of different, because while a good portion of it feels longer than necessary and dull, there are certain scenes that DID make an impression on me. That last scene, like I said, was just a scene that clicked with me for whatever reason. Most of the familial scenes were. At this point Lena Dunham's writing and directing chops hadn't been honed into a cohesive form yet, but there's something comforting and nice about looking back at her earliest work and knowing that even there, in her sloppy beginnings, there's something real and powerful there. I'm going to go ahead and say that I really did like this movie, just because that final scene put it over the three-star mark. It left me with a sense of peace, and not every movie can make me feel like that.
June 22, 2015
Certainly this film will not be everyone's cup of tea. But I'm a sucker for movies that are light on plot and heavy on letting us just hang out with some interesting characters for awhile. The dialogue here is so natural I thought perhaps they were simply ad libbing. The chemistry between the mother and daughters is totally real (makes sense -- they are a real family), and the film perfectly captures the that feeling of lacking any direction following graduation from college. It's true that nothing much happens in the film -- it's more about the nature of relationships: renewing old ones, letting friends go, trying out new lovers, choosing the wrong people -- all while trying to figure out what it means to be an adult.