Titanic Reviews

• 3h ago

A marvelous spectacle with a heartfelt romance in the middle of a tragedy. James Cameron's disaster romance drama Titanic (1997) is a pretty impressive undertaking as he recreates the epic sea vessel The Titanic with a full set all the way down to the splitting of the hull after this legendary ocean cruiser hits an iceberg. Cameron and John Bruno's special effects crew go underwater in a submarine and wreck a Titanic model all for our entertainment. I'm grateful for how much practical effects and effort went into Cameron's careful construction and direction for Titanic. The ship crashing and lives being lost is exciting and terrifying, while his dramatic direction is quite engaging for the first half of the film. I am no fan of James Cameron, but he did a fantastic job directing Titanic. Leonardo DiCaprio's lead actor role as romantic interest and charming poor man Jack Dawson is the primary reason to watch Titanic for me. He is effortlessly manly and genuinely charismatic. DiCaprio will have you laughing and crying throughout Titanic for certain. He was a born character actor and gives Titanic an emotional center and real heart. He's relatable, cool, handsome, hilarious, and kind as Dawson. DiCaprio has excellent romantic chemistry with the playful Kate Winslet as redhead rich lady Rose DeWitt Bukater. She was truly lovely as a young redhead with a distinguished air about her and a natural warmth. Winslet acts her heart out as Rose for Titanic and equally captured hearts as the forlorn and unhappy wealthy girl wishing for true love in life. Frances Fisher is another lovely redhead as Kate Winslet's mother Ruth DeWitt Bukater. She's wonderfully cruel and unfeeling as Rose's arrogant, entitled aristocratic mother with no heart or empathy. Gloria Stuar's supporting role as Old Rose is quite moving the more I see her part. Billy Zane is perfect as the pompous, easy to hate businessman Cal Hockley. You never once sympathize with this selfish, sexist villain. You will absolutely loathe David Warner's vicious, elitist valet Spicer Lovejoy. Victor Garber is great as The Titanic's designer Thomas Andrews. Kathy Bates is funny and likable as The Unsinkable Molly Brown. Bill Paxton is fun as the underwater explorer searching for a priceless necklace, while Suzy Amis is pretty engaging as Rose's granddaughter and caretaker. Jonathan Hyde is aptly stubborn and elitist in his snobbish decisions in pushing The Titanic too far and too fast, sending it into an iceberg and history. Michael Ford's lavish sets bring the famous interior to life with resplendent decor. Peter Lamont's production is endlessly impressive and clearly he was proficient in conceiving such a large set for James Cameron's best film. Cameron's writing is simplistic and cliche, but it works for the sweet story of a momentary love and coming of age period story in the middle of a disaster. His melodramatic romance narrative is a flurry of fun and understanding someone from a different social class in endearing and genuine ways. Titanic may not be perfect, the water CGI looks dated and some characters feel like stereotypes, but it's too massive and magnificent to behold for any criticism to hold water. James Cameron, Richard A. Harris, and Conrad Buff IV's editing is shrewd as they quickly cut from dreamy romantic encounter to encounter, all leading up to exciting iceberg action. Their cuts make Titanic's epic 194 minutes feel like 120. Russell Carpenter's majestic cinematography beautifully captures the grace and scope of the Titanic, while also having lovely, tasteful framing for the more intimate close-ups. How can you forget Deborah Lynn Scott, Sarah Touaibi, and Adolfo Ramírez' period costumes? They bring out the fabric, lining, tailored suits, and luxurious dresses galore for Titanic. I must mention that I adore James Horner's score for Titanic. It's tender and subdued until it swells into symphonic bliss like on a grand James Horner composition can. Horner was my favorite film composer and scores like Titanic are few and far between. His musical grandeur feels warmth no matter what movie he composed for in the end. Celine Dion's theme song, "My Heart Will Go On" is immortalized as an all time great love theme for the silver screen. Her voice is powerful, yet soft enough in tone that you'll never forget this song once you hear it. In short, James Cameron directed his finest feature film with the epic disaster picture Titanic.

• 5d ago

This movie deserves The Diamond Medallion Of Freshness, mainly since it's a powerful film. Characters: 5/5 Story: 5/5 Acting: 5/5 Special Effects: 5/5 Direction: 5/5 Cinematography: 5/5 Soundtrack: 5/5 Overall: 5/5

• Nov 13, 2020

With groundbreaking production values, great performances, a brilliant direction by James Cameron, a well-crafted screenplay and a beautiful love story, ‘Titanic' is a modern classic that is moving and entertaining. 5/5 - 10/10

• Nov 12, 2020

I thought this movie especially sucked because it appeared that while he was dying in the freezing water, all she would have had to do was move over. Then, they both would have stayed warmer and survived. Instead, she just lets him sink in the ocean, promising she'll make it.

• Nov 08, 2020

"I'm the kind of the world!"

"I'm the kind of the world!"

• Nov 04, 2020

Give it 60 % - I give it 100 % for the emotions the whole movie gives the audience. All time classic.

• Oct 31, 2020

This movie took an idea that really seemed like it could be a dead end and nailed it. In my eyes, this is an instant classic with a very sad script, as one could expect. I have never understood the lower rating and hate for this film, is it because there is a lot of romance involved for a movie one would not expect it in? Or that it's long?

• Oct 29, 2020

Titanic is an epic, romantic classic that is beautifully made. The relationship between Jack and Rose is very well acted and thus the long runtime, the development of the story, and their characters is done really well. Once the Titanic crashes, the action is impeccable. While still capturing Jack and Rose's romance, you get to see a near accurate depiction of the Titanic sinking. As the climax builds, you get to see the panic that spreads throughout the ship. I would definitely recommend this film, especially to anybody who likes historical dramas and natural disaster films. Also, the depiction of the rich and poor and how they interact with each other is a common theme throughout the movie, which provides a consistent moral throughout the movie which is very neat as well. Titanic is a great movie, that deserves 5 stars.

• Oct 28, 2020

Loving, heartwarming romantic film. With amazing performances. Holds the record for the best 90s film

• Oct 27, 2020

A truly masterful film in every way. Not only does Titanic prove how skilled and elegant Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet is and the sensational direction skills by James Cameron, but is retells the story of the tragic sinking of the RMS Titanic with total and full command; as the tense athmosphere breaks through its windows and its emotional weight is staggering. A film that takes you on an adventure and pours doses of romance and really makes you care about every living soul that perished 15. April 1912. Must-watch!!!