To Kill A Mockingbird Reviews

• Sep 23, 2020

Unnecessarily long, but more importantly completely ignorant. It compares the unjust story of a black man's death with a the story of a bad reputation of a straight white man. The stories didn't mix at all, it felt belittling towards the topic of racism and overall bad narrative decisions.

• Sep 14, 2020

A powerful, loyal adaptation of Harper Lee's novel that cuts to the heart of the racial dialogue without condescending or coddling. Gregory Peck won an Academy Award for his performance as Atticus Finch, the thoughtful father and dignified lawyer who's driven by moral convictions, but his work is enriched by several crucial supporting roles. Child actors Phillip Alford and Mary Badham (also nominated for an Oscar) play a convincingly earnest set of siblings, enthusiastic and inquisitive avatars for the audience. The authenticity of their lock-stepped performances might be partially lain at the feet of director Robert Mulligan, who opted to run with many first takes, lest the youngsters grow weary of the repetition. Brock Peters also shines in limited work as Tom Robinson, a black man on trial for a flimsy rape accusation. Peters really only gets one opportunity to make his mark, but it comes at the emotional crux of the story and he sees that it hits home. The film isn't without weaknesses - antagonists often seem a little too narrow and stereotypical, and the flat (if essential) epilogue undercuts the power of the film's real climax - but those are minor nitpicks. On the whole, To Kill a Mockingbird is a smart, well-reasoned picture that still speaks to America today, generations after it was set, published and adapted. Jim Crow may be dead and buried, but so long his influence still resonates, this story will carry extra relevance.

• Aug 20, 2020

One of the Best Films in Human History.

One of the Best Films in Human History.

• Aug 16, 2020

Pros: The performance from Gregory Peck was outstanding and rightly earned him the Best Actor Oscar that year Its rightfully a classic, highlights an important issue that was showed on film for the first time The many meanings it conveys throughout the film is amazing and well done Philip Alford who played Jem was noticeably good for the age he was The ending nicely ties up the film Atticus Finch! Cons: For me, there were parts of the film, mainly towards the start, were I thought it was dragging and I was waiting for something to happen. Overall, ‘To Kill A Mockingbird' is the classic example of how to convey an important human issue on screen. As I say, it may have been one of the first films to make its story about racism. Gregory Peck delivers a wonderful performance as Atticus Finch, his authority on screen is consistent throughout the film and certainly commands the role. The writing was well put together, especially the trial scene. A fantastic monologue from Peck. My only itch with the film if I have one, would be that I was finding it was quite slow in parts, especially towards the start, however this is an absolute classic that has stood the test of time and can even be shown nowadays still Quote – "In the Name of God, do your duty" – Atticus Finch Score – 4/5

• Jul 31, 2020

Terrific story line. Amazing acting for its day. A masterpiece!

Terrific story line. Amazing acting for its day. A masterpiece!

• Jul 22, 2020

One of the best movie adaptations of a novel. a true classic.

One of the best movie adaptations of a novel. a true classic.

• Jul 21, 2020

This movie is okay, but I'd rather read the book. The movie feels like a rehash of the book

• Jul 19, 2020

One of the greatest films of all time with one of the greatest performances.

One of the greatest films of all time with one of the greatest performances.

• Jul 12, 2020

The performances of Gregory Peck and Robert Duvall as Boo Radley are history in the making.

• Jun 30, 2020

The person that made this film clearly knows how to adapt a best selling book for all the right reasons