To Sir, With Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Sir, With Love Reviews

August 20, 2017
Ahead of it's time. Controversial in i's time. Historically accurate portrayal of the times and teaching in a tough environment. Excellent and Sidney dancing scene is one of the all time sexist dance scenes ever.
June 8, 2017
Watched with W.
Pretty good, for a drama.
June 8, 2017
A good film despite some of its overlooks in plot. A great time capsule of parts of London too.
½ June 8, 2017
Forget everything, sit down to watch and you are guaranteed to be blown away from the theme and the cast, nonetheless the performance by Poitier
½ April 6, 2017
A movie about immature kids who get taught the facts of life by their high school teacher. I love this movie so much. Its really corny and dumb but I still love it anyway. Sidney Poitier's best movie.
March 11, 2017
This movie starring Sidney Poitier has a strong message to teens. Should be shown in all high schools.
½ February 28, 2017
New teacher at British school overcomes daunting task of earning respect of rowdy class with little interest in learning. Fine film for the time and, I'm guessing, treaded some territory not well covered previously. Sent up very will by SCTV in the 80's with Eugene Levy playing Thackeray as Ricardo Montalbon.
March 19, 2016
Hard-hitting classroom drama with British nuances and the inevitable race issues that categorised so many of Sidney Poitiers best works. He's extremely good here.
December 20, 2015
Sidney Poitier plays a young, idealistic teacher, who inspires a class of disengaged, delinquent pupils in a run-down London school. The formula is one revisited with varying degrees of success, many times but where this film scores better than most is in the central performance of Poitier. He is brilliant in the role and manages to be convincing and sympathetic. The style may be a dated, but the impact remains fresh and the much lauded theme tune, sung by Lulu is something of a 60's British classic. The singer herself puts in a decent performance as one of the pupils and Judy Geeson is enchanting. This movie bristles with some of the better know faces of the British cinema and it is great to see them during their heyday in such a good movie.
October 2, 2015
Unemployed engineer takes on a rowdy classroom in the UK in this classic. Poitier demonstrates his overall presence in commanding respect amongst the unruly students. Terrific title song by Lulu and inspired a great spoof done by SCTV as a segment 'Teacher's Pet' with the Boomtown Rats. Poitier would reprise his role for a too-late sequel in 1996.
½ September 18, 2015
This is a likeable film, carried by the performance of Poitier and of course the classic song.
July 28, 2015
James Clavell's good humored, touching story concerning a black, idealistic out-of-work engineer named Mark Thackery, played magnificently by Sidney Poitier, in one of the finest performances of his distinguished career, who turns to teaching at a high school at London's tough East End slum. The novice teacher faces a class full of disruptive, rambunctious undisciplined, working-class students who set out to destroy him just as they had his predecessor, by breaking his spirit. But Thackeray, no stranger to racism and hostility, meets the challenge by treating the students as young adults who will soon be entering the workplace. Frustrated by his pupil's lack of manners, he disposes of conventional teaching methods, puts away the textbooks, in favour of conversing with his students on varying subjects using his own real-life experiences. His students eventually learn to respect and even appreciate him; referring to him as only 'Sir,' as the teacher-student bond develops one blonde toughie, Pamela, played beautifully by Judy Geeson, acquires a crush on him, the almost-love scene between them is nicely handed. The film is based on the novel by E.R. Brathwaite and skillfully directed by Clavell, who also wrote the engaging screenplay. Terrific supporting performances by Christian Roberts, Suzy Kendall, Lulu, Geoffrey Bayldon, Patricia Routledge, Ann Bell, Michael Des Barres, and Rita Webb. But it's Sidney Poitier's earnest, intelligent turn that dominates this fine film. Lulu's breakout title song for the film became a world-wide hit. A classic groundbreaking classroom drama. Highly Recommended.
July 3, 2015
I saw Judy Geeson on the Gilmore Girls. Fun. Great movie.
May 28, 2015
Thanks to Mrs. Plecky I will never forget this movie.
April 28, 2015
An out of work Engineer take a temporary job as a school teacher but struggles to impact the lives of his students. Well defined and understated performance by Poitier highlights this sometimes dated view of racial and generational clash.
March 9, 2015
Though visibly and conceptually dated by today's standards, this film has aged very well, if mainly due to the incomparable performances of its cast (especially those of Sidney Poitier). At first glance, this film might seem like any other British school drama made in the 1960's, with each one having claimed to deal with social issues. This film, I feel, is more realistic than most of those films because it at least tries to offer multiple perspectives. In fact, Sidney Poitier's performance gives a sense of reality to the situation shown in the film, and that's more than could be said about any other film of its kind. The film also presents itself with a degree of realism and grit that, I feel, matched the then-contemporary setting. For me, the drama was compelling because it was more human. The whole film has an earthy, forthright quality to it that many films today lack, and that's what made it so good to watch.
December 25, 2014
A bit not fit to present day term, To Sir, With Love nevertheless succeeds at being touching without being too shmaltzy, and boasts what might be Sidney Poitier's finest performance.
September 23, 2014
What a classic film. A 'must see' and for me another 'tear jerker'. I remember it from more than 40 years ago. And it's still an excellent watch. What a shame that they didn't teach me these social values in my school ! Every school teacher needs to watch this film, and learn. A fantastic theme tune by Lulu too.
September 6, 2014
All that a bunch of rough east London kids need is a cool black teacher to tell them not to be sluts!

I understand why people like this film: it's sentimental, it's idealistic and it has a catchy pop theme tune. But, it's really misguided. How prudish is Sydney Poitier's character?! What exactly is he teaching these kids?! Where is the overt racism that you'd expect?! I didn't enjoy watching this.
August 31, 2014
Brilliant acting by Sidney.