Toast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Toast Reviews

½ July 30, 2016
I do not watch Nigel Slater' s programs. Perhaps if I do, I might like this movie a bit more but I find this one more heavier than I thought.
June 9, 2016
I love Helena Bonham Carter and Freddie Highmore in this movie! This movie is a real joy from beginning to end!
½ May 29, 2016
Aburrida, deprimente y sin nada que decir al final.
May 8, 2016
- i wish i came from a normal family.
- nigel, normal families are totally overrated. you'll probably grow up to be interesting.
- but i don't want to be interesting!
½ May 14, 2015
I actually know nothing about the man this is based on, so didn't know what to expect.
Actually, it was pretty good. The kid who plays young Nigel is excellent (this coming from me - I normally find child actors cloying and can't wait for the older cast to take over, so that's how good this kid is). I was sorry when "older" Nigel took over.
Interesting look at a young boys childhood in the 60's, the setting was great, really convincing as being that era.
It's only 90 minutes long, so strange that it feels long, yet is rushed. The older Nigel bits only total 30 minutes and barely tell any story
I loathed mrs Potter as well. Probably only at the very end I felt any sympathy. Nigel does seem cruel by then. Then again. Patronising hag smoking all over the place, I don't know I would have wanted to stick with her either. Then again, 60's, hard life, hard to judge.
September 22, 2014
The story of a boy's hunger.
Nigel est un jeune garçon dont la maman ne sait rien cuisiner d'autre que la tarte de Noël. Elle trouve que les aliments frais sont sales, et ne jure que par les conserves. Nigel lui, est fasciné par la « vraie » nourriture, notamment grâce à leur jardinier qui lui fait découvrir les légumes. Plus tard, sa mère décède et il se retrouve avec un père distant dont il essaye d'attirer un regard bienveillant. La tâche se révèle encore plus ardue avec l'arrivée de la femme de ménage qui deviendra sa belle-mère. Cette dernière est une grande cuisinière, et Nigel et elle vont se livrer une bataille pour l'amour du papa à coup de bons petits plats.
Ce film est basé sur l'autobiographie du chef anglais Nigel Slater, et reste concentré sur sa jeunesse. Ce que je trouve dommage car quand ça devient intéressant, le film se termine ! Le côté retro dans les plats cuisinés est bien fait et plaisant, mais à part cela, je n'ai pas été passionnée par son histoire. Aucun des personnages n'est réellement sympathique, même pas Nigel. Le père passe son temps à menacer Nigel mais il n'est pas montré comme violent. Par contre quel égoïste ! La belle-mère fait aussi quelques menaces, mais elle ne semble vraiment pas méchante, elle cherche juste se place au milieu de ces 2 hommes. J'ai trouvé étrange que Nigel ne semble pas un peu traumatisé ni même culpabilisé d'avoir souhaité la mort de sa mère et que cette dernière meure la même nuit.
Vraiment bof.
August 21, 2014
I like the conversation between Nigel and his little friend. Very easy, very relaxing, much touched ;)
August 8, 2014
By turns sweet and tart, airy and rich and, above all, a thoroughly irresistible confection. An entertaining period piece that Brits excel at with its wistful Dusty Springfield soundtrack and a script by Lee Hall who has also penned 'Billy Elliot', this was a joy to watch. Young Nigel is played by two actors, the older one was Freddie Highmore who seems to corner the market on teen roles right now, but it is Oscar Kennedy in his screen debut playing the young Nigel who really steals the spotlight with his wonderful grieving. Ms. Bonham Carter's hearty performance makes Mrs. Potter almost lovable. You may laugh at her garishness, but you applaud her pluck and stamina. The film is beautifully done - poignant and sad, but with lightness and humour. Utterly charming, witty and visually splendid nostalgic trip through the '60s by way of the memoir penned by celebrated Brit food writer and cook Nigel Slater and seasoned with some Dusty Springfield pop hits. It has a few contrived moments and several lines better suited to greeting cards than film, but the sentiment remains honest. A gem of a feature directorial debut.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
June 16, 2014
It has interesting moments, but drags on in a tremendously slow fashion. Ugh.
½ May 18, 2014
Too sporadic, but lovely
March 29, 2014
4 stars for being tone-perfect, well-performed and gorgeous, but progressively errs on the cheesy side and then ends with an abysmal lack of development. if I was supposed to feel no sympathy for HBC's character and feel joy in anyone's petty triumphs, that was a failing, but hey, apparently based on the true-life experience of a real person so who am I to demand a change.
February 9, 2014
I dont like this story at all.
½ January 18, 2014
I hate everyone in this movie. The main character is bratty, The stepmom is underdeveloped, the dad has the wildest mood swings, and the mom does nothing. The main character's choices baffle me, leaving the house, his nonchalant attitude towards his mom's death which changes rapidly also, and his screaming at his mom. We never get to see why Mrs. Potter was crying, we never got to see how the crap he even got his job at that fancy restaurant at the end... The list goes on. A very strong start, with a weak finish. And yes, I do know this is based of a memoir, but still. With all the mumbo jumbo they added, why not add a bit more.
½ January 15, 2014
Love British films, had no idea it was a true story.
November 3, 2013
Not at all the light foodie film I was expecting, but rather a far more depressing tale of a boy's journey to find himself.
½ August 16, 2013
The first half has some surprisingly funny moments, enough so that I still liked the film by the end. The downside though, is that the film gets stuck in the second half - slowing to a painful crawl and spending too much time on the main character's nemesis, Mrs. Potter, rather than focusing on Nigel's love of food.
July 19, 2013
Slow and sad but overall good movie. I love Freddie Highmore!
July 7, 2013
Absolutamente encantador. Me apaixonei por Nigel Slater depois do filme. Grandes atuações e trilha sonora.
½ June 18, 2013
Moving film, very good interpretation Oscar Kennedy as young Nigel Slater.
May 7, 2013
a story about toast (nice)