Tommy's Honour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tommy's Honour Reviews

July 26, 2017
This was an okay movie ! The story line was good but it got boring at times. This movie had a great acting in it by the father.
½ June 10, 2017
While it's not a great golf movie and it does have some flaws here and there, I actually found Tommy's Honour to be an affecting and interesting golf film that fans of golf will really enjoy.
May 2, 2017
This is a good movie. I'd rate it great if I understood Scottish. Also, too many closeup sand not enough scenery. Outstanding acting.
April 25, 2017
Amazing movie made in a beautiful location. The story of father and son and husband and wife. This movie hits home for everyone.
April 24, 2017
Not sure why this film has a limited release. It was one of the best films I've seen this year. Intriguing story, excellent acting and it was so refreshing to see a movie without any violence or over the top action scenes. Sean should be very proud of his son.
April 21, 2017
A generous 3 stars. A bit too long (too many golf scenes!) but interesting film based on a true story. Throw in some class/status commentary and churchy nonsense with the love and sports stories, and you've basically got the gist of this one. I should add that the Scottish accents really begged for subtitles here. Thumbs up but not way up.
April 19, 2017
Beautifully filmed! A touching, emotional story that anyone, golf-inclined or not, can relate to and enjoy.
April 19, 2017
This is a fantastic movie about not only the history of golf, but also a touching family drama and love story. The costumes were on-point for the times, and the re-creation of the St. Andrews environment is astounding. I can't recommend this movie any more favorably. I absolutely loved it!
April 18, 2017
Puristic, sad and beautiful plot.
April 17, 2017
A great picture for anyone that considers themself a golfer
½ April 16, 2017
The game of golf wasn't invented by Scotsmen "Old" Tom Morris or his son, "Young" Tom Morris, but the historical drama "Tommy's Honour" (PG, 1:57) makes it clear that they both did much to modernize the game and popularize it among the common folk. Experts differ regarding golf's historical origins, with theories including the Imperial Roman game of paganica, 8th century China's chuiwan, the Persian game of chaugán and different games played centuries ago in the Netherlands, France and England. Regardless, the actual game of golf came out of 15th-century Scotland. In the 19th-century, the elder and younger Morris, who both became champion golfers, are credited with turning golf into the game as we now know it. Old Tom Morris designed courses across the British Isles (incorporating new ideas that are standards today), he developed techniques of modern greenkeeping and he helped found the Open Championship (now called The British Open) in 1860, winning three of the first five tournaments. Then, Young Tom achieved competitive feats and brought about golf innovations which included... well, giving away all that would count as spoilers for this movie, so I think I'll just get into my spoiler-free summary...

The relationship between Old Tom (or, just "Tom") Morris (Peter Mullan) and Young Tom ("Tommy") Morris (Jack Lowden) was a complicated one, as father-son relationships often are, but this one was unique. As Tom was winning tournaments at the newly-created Open Championship, his teenage son, Tommy, was learning the game, showing himself to be professional golf's first prodigy. Tommy was ready to win championships just as the solo championship streak of his father (who was 30 years older) was ending. It was a real changing of the guard and a very smooth transition, but it created some tension between father and son, especially as they began to play in various tournaments as a team. Tom supports his son and is very proud of Tommy, and Tommy loves his dad, but when Old Tommy's play starts to fall off with age, Young Tom is teaming up with dear old dad less and less. Besides that, Tom expects Tommy to follow him into the family business (be a caddy, give golf lessons, learn course design and greenkeeping, etc.) and take over his golf shop someday. Tom doesn't consider "only" playing golf to be a viable profession for "commoners", but Tommy has his own ideas - about lots of things.

Tommy is determined to do things his way. Besides insisting on breaking free of the role in life that his father expects him to play, he insists on better treatment for the golfers from their wealthy benefactors, a stance that brings him into direct conflict with Alexander Boothby (Sam Neill), the Captain of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews. Tommy also gets into some physical fights on the golf course, which upsets some people (even though Happy Gilmore would've been proud.) As Tommy's stock rises, he fields a variety of offers from golf courses around England, and doesn't always make decisions that those around him can support. And wherever he plays, he also flaunts tradition (and takes big risks) in the challenges that he accepts and in his manner of play. Off the golf course, Tommy wants to marry a local girl named Meg (Ophelia Lovibond), who considers herself too old for Tommy (28 vs. 22) and whom the town and Tommy's parents consider inappropriate for him based on her personal history. Tommy's relationship with Meg leads to a series of events that bring challenges... and tragedy.

"Tommy's Honour" tells a heart-felt and interesting little-known story, but isn't as impactful as it should have been. Working from a script by Kevin Cook (adapting his own award-winning 2007 book "Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son") and Pamela Marin (Cook's wife), director Jason Connery (son of Sean Connery) lets the story drift at times and the plot hits a few too many sand traps. The film needs a stronger narrative thread, direction that makes the dramatic moments more dramatic and a script which establishes a stronger context for the plot points and makes the importance of what we're seeing clearer (especially for non-golfers). Such significant failings cause the film to be listless and feel longer than its two-and-a-quarter hours. The film does have its strengths, however. It brings to light a story which deserves to reach a wide audience and it features strong performances from its cast and some very good cinematography. Through it all, the honor of Young Tom Morris shines through. It's just a shame that it couldn't have been in a stronger film. Instead, a movie that deserved to be subpar (which, in golf, is a good thing), ends up being a bogey. "B-"
April 16, 2017
Enjoyable historical drama and learned some interesting things about Golf too. Go see it.
April 16, 2017
Moving true story. Well casted and acted. Enjoyed movie very much
April 15, 2017
Stunningly beautiful portrayal of a love story, period piece with golf as a back drop. Think Downton Abbey meets Field of Dreams. Certainly of interest to any golfer but also appealing to family members of any age. Arguably already a top-3 all time golf movie..will be a classic.
April 15, 2017
Great story and I'm not a golfer.
April 15, 2017
Beautiful movie about a father and son butting their heads and a love story that is an integral part of the movie......I am seeing it again tomorrow with my sister......you don't g ave to like golf to enjoy the movie.....
April 15, 2017
Don't miss this movie! Incredible true story. My wife loved it, so did my teenage girls. Bonus if you also love golf
April 15, 2017
An amazing movie about golf, it's history, and the struggle of a young man trying to find his own way in life. A must see movie.
April 14, 2017
Went to Chicago premier. Great story, acting and cinematography excellent. Great family story.
April 13, 2017
Beautifully done. Interesting and engaging story. NOT just a golf story. A really beautifully woven story about family, love and golf. Recommend!