Tomorrow Never Dies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tomorrow Never Dies Reviews

March 20, 2017
My least favourite Brosnan-Bond film. It is always on every few months on ITV! I'm f-ing tired of it! The only good thing to say about it is that it's not as terrible as Roger Moore's outings as Bond.
February 19, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ February 10, 2017
Essentially an action movie, Brosnan's second 007 outing does have some flashes of style and sophistication but the emphasis on bloated action sequences (which are certainly very skillfull and impressive) often feels a bit too gratuitous and undermines some very good scenes and exchanges early in the film (particularly Bond's tense but funny confrontation with an assassin). Aside from that, some of the henchmen are very cliched and there is a general derivitive feel to everything. Haven't we seen all this before? It's like a two hour montage of Bond's greatest hits. Goldeneye atleast had eloquent dialogue, set pieces and the added benefit of being the first Bond in 6 years, giving it a new freshness.
½ January 29, 2017
Some great action and a committed villainous performance by Jonathan Pryce cannot make up for the rather disappointing and honestly boring second adventure for Brosnan's 007.
½ January 5, 2017
A little too much machine gun fire and a few protracted action scenes that whilst fun to watch get very close to jumping the shark on occasion. The main two things that this movie has going for it are firstly, it contains my personal favourite car chase scene in any Bond movie and also my favourite gadget. That being the ridiculously clever yet laughably pointless steel rope cutting gadget built into the car. I can't help but cheer every time I see it. Very much an action-packed bond movie, a fun exciting watch but no classic.
January 4, 2017
160626: The 18th Bond Film. Silly film with glimpses of hope. If you've seen my prior Bond reviews you're likely wondering why I'm still watching. Some of the action midway through this film is the reason why. There has always been such potential with the character and films but it's lost on me because of the stupidity, often associated with the suspension of belief. In this case, the Elliot Carver character (Jonathan Prye) couldn't be worse. Am I to believe he's some badass super villain? Am I to believe any of these characters, good or bad, would have survived as long as they did? I really wonder sometimes why I continue to push with Bond but I'm almost certain I will see this whole series through. Perhaps I'll come to some great understanding but more likely, in my opinion, my personal values just do not jive with what the Bond series actually is. On a positive note, there is some great action in this film. Some of it pushes the envelope just a bit too much, as usual, but they almost had it right here. It's always great to see Ricky Jay & Vincent Schivelli. The BMW Cruiser R1200C really intrigued me; almost to the point of making me want one. Under the neat category, Tomorrow features the highest death toll in any Bond film to this point. It is also the first movie in film history to have its entire budget be covered in product placement campaigns. 3 pushing 3.5. Ok, next.
December 29, 2016
Enjoyed all of Pierce Brosnans appearances as Bond. I grew up with all these in the 90s n early 00s. Good times. I remember having the game of this for Christmas on PlayStation 1.
½ November 21, 2016
good movie but far from best
½ November 17, 2016
Underrated Brosnan entry. It follows the formula but does it will and is a surprisingly coherent production given its rocky development cycle. Brosnan's more understated but still sarcastic portrayal makes a return along with a great bond girl and a great villain with an outlandish but unique plot.
½ October 22, 2016
Undeniably a step backwards from the near-perfect 'Goldeneye,' yet still extremely thrilling, it does fall back occasionally on Bond cliché, which leaves us as an audience Shaken by the stunning action, but not necessarily Stirred on an emotion level that it's predecessor manages to capture to perfection.
Verdict: B
½ September 30, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Tomorrow Never Dies has all the great elements of it's predecessor, but it's a big step up because we actually get to see this version of Bond properly developed, to the extent where he feels like a real human as opposed to a meaningless action hero. Because of this, it's easier to take the crazy action with a bit less lateral certainty, and it instead becomes a harmless and engaging bit of fun. That action is great too, and it's helped immensely by the incredible score...
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Look beyond that spectacle and it has to be said that the plot is fairly poor and the structure is pretty thinly laid out; particularly in the moment-to-moment build-up.
VERDICT: Sit back and enjoy the action - it's a return to fun from Bond with some really great moments. Shame it's just a little too formulaic.
August 5, 2016
One of the weakest entries in the series, steering away from the somewhat darker tone of GoldenEye, firmly back into Roger Moore territory. Brosnan tries much of the time to play it straight, but the story is too superficial and the dialogue often too silly, with possibly a record number of excruciating puns (thanks to Bruce Fierstein, the guy who wrote all GoldenEye's dud-liners, here the solo writer), for this approach to work.

Director Roger 'Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot' Spottiswoode doesn't help, treating things as superficially as his writer. Sure, a Bond director should avoid imposing a style that is at odds with what people expect from a Bond movie - *koff!*Tamahori*koff!* - but SOME style would be nice. The look of this movie has dated much more than those either side of it - both handled by skilled, seasoned directors who understood the aesthetics of a Bond film. This guy just...doesn't.

The villain, Elliot Carver, isn't exactly a formidable nemesis, and Jonathan Pryce plays him as an entitled, whiny little snot. Despite the heinous acts he has his minions carry out, he has no menace to him whatsoever. His henchman, Herr Stamper, is not a particularly distinctive character. Gotz Otto makes him come off like a scowling poseur. Again, no menace. The rent boy get-up doesn't help. The idea of Bond having to reconnect with a past lover is perhaps the most interesting aspect of the plot, but Paris is so annoying you can see why he left her in the first place. Or maybe that's just because she's played by Teri Hatcher, of whom I've never been a fan. Ricky Jay is OK, but his character, Gupta, seems to have wandered in from a different movie. Vincent Schiavelli could never disappoint me, but his character, the evil torturer Dr Kaufman, who could have been a classic henchman, is played entirely for laughs. While his scene is pretty funny, it could have been so much more had it not been treated with such a light touch. Moneypenny, who was modernised a bit in Goldeneye, reverts back to her old form here, and has probably the worst lines in the movie. Samantha Bond does what she can with it, but, like Brosnan, that isn't much. The talents of Geoffrey Palmer and Colin Salmon are pretty much wasted. Joe Don Baker's Wade, who served as comic relief in GoldenEye but still managed to qualify as a character, is here a buffoonish caricature in a ridiculous hat.

Wai Lin is just as badly written as everyone else, and Michelle Yeoh is ridiculously overqualified to play her. She's one of my favourite actresses ever to play a Bond 'girl', but there's just nothing she can do with such a bland character. There is one scene in which she gets to show off her kung-fu skills, but it feels like it's been spliced in from a better (though still not great) movie.

The motorcycle/helicopter chase is an interesting idea, especially the touch of having Bond and Wai Lin handcuffed together, forcing them to cooperate and trust each other. But it's stupid that out of all the bikes they had to choose from they chose the biggest, heaviest one there - that just happened to be a BMW. I remember someone (possibly Spottiswoode, but I don't care enough to check) saying they didn't want them to just happen upon a lightweight, zippy trailbike when they needed one, and wanted to give them a challenge. If that's the case, ALL the bikes should have been heavy cruising bikes, otherwise why the hell WOULDN'T they choose a lightweight, zippy trailbike?

And then, of course, Wai Lin removes her lockpick earring and opens the cuffs - AFTER the chase, because...I don't know.

The best bit of action is the car chase, in which they seem to have tried to make up for the lack of car gadgets in GoldenEye by cramming in every trick imaginable. It is very silly, with Bond using his tricked-out phone to drive by remote control from the back seat, but good fun. The only problem I have is that, again, it's a BMW, and this time it's a sedan. A BMW sedan. BMW. Sedan.

Sheryl Crow's theme song isn't great. It doesn't sound like Sheryl Crow, as though she's trying too hard to emulate the 'Bond theme' genre, rather than bringing her own style to it. The rejected original song, written by David Arnold and Don Black and sung by k.d. lang, is a better song, but too much of a throwback for my taste.
July 29, 2016
4.5 out of 10:

Despite some good action scenes, Tomorrow Never Dies suffers form a bland, rehashed story and a slow pacing.
½ July 28, 2016
After the first quarter or so, the action picks up and doesn't stop. The drill was pretty cool. Jonathan Pryce was an awesome villain.
July 28, 2016
A action thrill that isn't better than Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies is pretty by-the-numbers
July 25, 2016
Jesus, Bond has so many girls in this film it's scary. The action is drawn out too far, like a Michael Bay film. Which is a problem when it comes to bond.
July 23, 2016
Slightly better than GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies is average, not in quality, but in action, among other things.
½ July 4, 2016
Not as good as GoldenEye, but still a fun Bond film nonetheless
July 1, 2016
Typical James Bond movie with good action, stunts and an interesting story line. I like Pierce Brosnan as the next James Bond and this time his leading lady does some good action stunts too
June 10, 2016
It's fine, it's whatever. It's got parts.