Toy Story 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Toy Story 2 Reviews

June 19, 2016
Toy Story 2 may not capture the magic like Toy Story but is a sturdy sequel
June 19, 2016
More thematically compelling and with better action set-pieces, Toy Story 2 is a sequel that is just as good as the original - and one that isn't afraid to go to the more emotional side of storytelling.
June 17, 2016
This is the rare case where the sequel to a movie is just as good as its predecessor. Tom Hanks and Tim Allen return, this time joined by Joan Cusack in this adventure movie that further builds on the relationships between the toys, and introduces a whole cast of new loveable and memorable characters, such as Jessie, Bullseye and Emperor Zurg! In short, this movie is one of my favourite childhood movies, and I will always revisit it in the years to come.
January 16, 2016
a rare sequel that doesnt quite live up to the first film but comes awfully close. "Toy Story 2" is one of the studios best films, top 5 easily. even though i dont quite love it as much as the original, i still think that the animation is still top notch and the story and characters are what you expect from Pixar.
June 16, 2016
Toy Story 1 may have been good but Toy Story 2 takes the magic from the first film and runs with it
½ September 2, 2014
88%
Toy Story 2's focus may not be singular, but its cast is sincere and the story is even deeper than the first movie.

V: 78%
½ June 14, 2016
Toy Story 2 is another brilliant Pixar movie. Toy Story 2 takes you outside the Pixar world of animation and shows you tons of new features. Toy Story 2 has tons of laughs and will make you smile. I would very much suggest this movie.
June 9, 2016
Well, sequels are not good. Imagine one about the terrible fact that "no toy lasts forever" (That made me think of Toy, a Lego figurine that sat on my nightstand for over 20 years until I left Cuba and that for a long time was my only friend. I named it Toy after seeing the original Toy Story). But then along comes Pixar and gives us a film that talks about how toys - more than collected - are made for being played with and that in life we're defined by the people (or toys) that love us. Add a heart-warming scene about a toy being outgrown by its owner, a lot of laughs and great animation and done: those guys proved us that sequels can be gooood and that toys do last forever. Thanks, Pixar.

I love you, Toy. One day I'll find you and you'll be on my nightstand forever. Promised.
June 7, 2016
It's better than the first film, and brings in the heart of what the first film did without feeling like a rehash.
December 18, 2013
As most people have come to realize, movie sequels are usually inferior to their predecessor, especially for animated movies. And with a new animation studio doing a sequel to a film people enjoyed so much, I'm sure a lot of people were very skeptical about it, especially since this is only their third film that they've done. Thankfully, this film did just as well as the first one, both critically and financially. I'm sure we can all agree right now that it's on the same level as the original.

But from my standpoint, I think TOY STORY 2 is even better than the original! It does everything that made the first one so good and pushes it to the next level. A similar concept but with a whole new twist, very interesting dilemmas, more fun and memorable characters, better animation, a lot of great jokes, and a very fun adventure. And all of it seems to work perfectly. All of our favorite characters are back and they still have their charming personalities, but they also introduce new characters who are just as likable and even more interesting.

After Woody gets stolen from a toy store owner, he meets and befriends a group of toys: Jessie, Bullseye, and the Prospector. They are a part of a collection that Woody is meant to be a part of. Learning about this, Woody is now in a predicament about whether he should return to his owner, or if he should be a part of the Roundup Gang and be displayed in a museum where children can adore him forever. That's a very tough decision. The Prospector makes valid points that he shouldn't go back to his owner because Andy is in fact growing up and will eventually stop playing with him and be forgotten. We also learn that Jessie as well had an owner who played with her all the time, just like Andy, and has forgotten about her overtime and was eventually donated. And this emotional scene is only done with visuals and music. The line that Jessie says after that scene really gets me, "You never forget kids like Emily or Andy... but they forget you." I almost want to cry at that scene. By the way, it's very rare for me to cry in a movie.

Even the surprise twist that (SPOILER ALERT) the Prospector is the villain isn't a needless plot device. Yeah, we've seen this cliché done a million times, but here, it makes sense. He doesn't know what it feels like to be played with, he never had that experience. So it makes perfect sense for him to enforce the other toys into going to the museum. That desire to be adored by children forever is so strong with him, and he's not going to let that taken away from him. I've been wondering why people see this movie as their least favorite of the franchise, the writing in here is absolutely ingenious.

But this is not just a character driven movie that deals with Woody's predicament, the adventure that all the toys go through is relentlessly entertaining. They have all of these creatively fun ways to find their way to Woody. They cross the street by hiding under traffic cones causing a traffic jam, going through various aisles is the toy store where Buzz meets another Buzz (everything with him is hilarious), climbing up the elevator shaft, going down the elevator shaft where they encounter the evil Emperor Zurg, driving in a Pizza Planet truck, going through a luggage handling system, and escaping a plane that's taking off. It's a ton of fun to watch. Also, the animation has already gotten a lot better since the last movie. Most of the textures and the movements work off really well and still look good to this day.

Really, everything about this movie is done perfectly... literally up until the very last minute. It's not the moral they give, I love that. They say even though you will have to face the inevitable, just enjoy the fun while it lasts. That's a great message. What I don't love is why the little toy Wheezy sings "You Got a Friend In Me", and in a completely different voice. I mean, it's a nice way for them to end the film with a happy musical number for us to have a good feeling as we leave the theater. It just felt very contrived as this movie was in no way a musical. But it's a nitpick.

This movie could've easily been a cheap cash grab as we thought they couldn't possibly top the original. If you didn't know, this was originally meant to be a direct-to-video film, but then later decided to release it in theaters. But the creators knew people loved the first TOY STORY and they put all of their effort into this movie to make it as good as they can, and it really paid off. Another childhood favorite of mine and easily one of Pixar's best films.

Grade: A+
June 11, 2012
Fantastic, a great sequel to the classic. Introduction of Jesse and Bullseye, and all around entertaining. Love it as much as the first one.
May 30, 2016
It is the worst of the series but it is still awesome
½ May 27, 2016
In my opinion, the best Toy Story film, TS2 improves the effects, drama and characters that were already great. An outstanding animated film and one of my favorites.
½ May 24, 2016
It's Pixar of course it's good
August 10, 2013
Just as good as the first because it pretty much has the same positives as the original. Nuff' said.
July 27, 2014
Out of all the toy story movies, this one is my least favorite. But it's still really good.
½ January 27, 2016
I like the beginning with Buzz fighting Zerg that was a cool part in the beginning of the movie. I like Jesse she was a cool cow girl that was a good movie and this movie is funny!!!
½ December 22, 2015
Toy Story 2 stays strong and fresh as an amazing animated sequel, and gives its characters and story even more depth, good comedy, and the strong emotional moments Pixar knows how to handle
April 17, 2011
I love this film. In my opinion this is one of the only films in which I believe that the sequel is better than the first!