Toy Story 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Toy Story 2 Reviews

August 16, 2017
Incredible that a sequel is almost equally as good as the original.
½ August 9, 2017
Very good movie.
Rating: 8.9/10.
½ August 7, 2017
DID SOMEONE SAY.....TOM HANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
½ August 2, 2017
Once again, I can't say it's a master piece, but this is a good film. Better than the first one in fact.
½ August 1, 2017
I dont think this one was as good as the first but it is still one of my favorite Disney Pixar movies ever. ð???
July 27, 2017
This movie had a lot to live up to because of the critical acclaim its predecessor got raising the bar very high and although it wasn't quite as fresh as the original it still has a lot too offer with a new original script with fun the whole family can enjoy
July 24, 2017
I think this sequel is pretty cool.
July 22, 2017
Toy Story 2 (1999) - is not only just as enjoyable as it's predecessor, but I personally think it's even better. Everything that the first Toy story started has been brought up to the next level in this amazing sequel.
The ideas and themes the concept tackles are done with great care and it perfectly balances the creative ideas with moments that really bring out the drama of what some of the characters go through. The many places our characters explore are made very grand and epic as this movie goes further with putting the toy's in many different scenarios that are fun and quite inventive. One second they might be cruising through Al's Toy Barn and another second they might be running through the baggage handling system at the Airport. Each scene is timed out perfectly and it gives us a lot of time to establish everything the movie throws at us. This is also the first time that I think Pixar really nailed the Blended effect of Creative fun and Impactful Heartfelt emotions. While their previous movie's sustained a number of elements to keep us coming back for more, I believe that this movie was the first time I felt that they perfected a formula that really emphasized what Pixar was really cable of.
The characters have still retained the charm that made them lovable in the first movie and the new characters work just as great with adding more layers to the world of Toys. Buzz and the rest of the Andy's Toys work on the comedic side of the adventure while Woody's side of the story is more down to earth and add some great world building when diving deep into how a toys feel about their owners. Jessie is a great example of this because her tragic backstory really shows the tragedy of being abandoned and what an effect it had on her. Other new characters like Al, Bullseye, the Prospect and even Emperor Zurg also bring their memorable mark in the movie and add more building blocks to the franchise.
The animation has noticeably improved from the first movie and it manages to improve many of the awkward bits that didn't look very appealing the last time. The textures feel more realistic and the animation on the humans is more natural and appealing. The environments feel more immersive and huge thanks to the update in technology and every place the toy's visit is always made adventurous and epic. The thing that captured my attention the most is the attention to detail they put into the woody's Roundup sequences. The look of the show really resembles the style of an old 50's show and the puppet animation is superb.
The Music is once again helmed by Randy Newman. He uses the same style of Nostalgic like violin tunes while adding some new scores that really help drive the emotion of every scene regardless of the feeling. This is also the first time that Pixar hired an actual artists to record songs for their movie. "Riders in the Sky" sung a few songs for the movie, one of them being the theme for Woody's Roundup. It works well when combined with the style of the Tv show. "Sarah McLachlan" sang a song for Jessie's backstory called "When she loved me" which is done beautifully and really emphases the emotion of the tragedy of Jessie's owner growing up and moving on without her.
Although the first movie was a great start for the series I think this movie really captivated The emotions and pathos of a toy's point of view with heartfelt moments, great new characters and a great blend of Creative ideas with relatable emotions. It's an outstanding movie that has everything I believe an animated movie should have and it's definitely one of Pixar's finest. (A+)
July 19, 2017
A fantastic sequel to a great film. Highly recommended
July 17, 2017
While surely improving their computer animation over the original, Pixar hasn't forgotten the humor, vocal talent, action and inventiveness that made it lovable.
July 13, 2017
By this point the CGI wasn't as mind blowing as when the original came out. It had a good story though and I still would recommend it for family viewing,
July 7, 2017
Toy Story 2 carrega o peso de manter o legado deixado pelo primeiro, o ritmo é quase o mesmo com uma pequena diferença de roteiro, um pouco mais dramático ao tentar passar um mensagem positiva para seus telespectadores.
June 28, 2017
After the okay film A Bug's life, Pixar decided to make the safe choice and created a Toy Story sequel. And in my opinion, Toy Story 2 actually builds it's characters and creates another original story! It also has the same amount of character development, humor and heart that made the first Toy Story so timeless! Overall, it deserves an A+ as well!
June 28, 2017
I think it's a sequel that sometimes people don't give the credit it deserved. I love how this movie expands on the first and manages to tell a fresh story. This movie does deliver one of the most heartbreaking sequences in the series. I also grew up watching this movie the most since it was the only one I owned for the longest time so watching again it is truly a nostalgic experience for me. It is one of the Pixar greats and one of the best animated sequels out there.
½ June 22, 2017
Another great addition to the Pixar world. Great story and great acting.
½ June 21, 2017
Not going to lie, compared to the other Toy story's this movie is probably the weakest. But stand alone, this movie about toys who are forgotten about their owners...and a dude who just wants a cheap buck...this movie is actually pretty good. But it gets destroyed by Toy story 3.
½ June 19, 2017
Least of the trilogy.
June 16, 2017
Toy Story 2 isn't better than the first film...it's on par with the the first one. Rather than just being a film with little improvement over its predecessor beyond the quality of the animation, it instead improves the quality and tells an enjoyable story. The voice acting is great, each actor really shines in their roles. The "When She Loved Me" scene is pretty emotional. Perhaps it ain't got nothing on the Carl and Ellie's relationship but it's still sad. Hell, even Tom Hanks and Tim Allen admitted to crying to that scene. It also has more laughs than the first film with some enjoyable jokes and slapstick to go around for everyone. Hard to think that this was Pixar's first sequel from a time when they were known for making original, beautifully animated, stories that were critically lauded. Then Cars 2 came along and Pixar's perfect world came tumbling down. But anyway, Toy Story 2 is one of the rare sequels that lives up to its predecessor. Maybe one day, Pixar will make a sequel as good as this one. Hopefully, Incredibles 2 will be the one. Not that I think Toy Story 4's gonna suck, mind you. But anticipation is higher for Incredibles 2 than Toy Story 4,so yeah, there's that.
June 9, 2017
To Infinity and Beyond :)
½ May 30, 2017
Never quite lives up to the one that came before, but Toy Story 2 stills boasts a fun story while aptly introducing excellent new characters right beside the ones already in our hearts.