True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

November 21, 2016
Working with true legends of the Western genre the film puts together a fun ride, but definitely a product of its time. The movie could be considered a road picture in a sense, but also a typical revenge action movie, but with less emphasis on the hate of revenge and more like an Arthurian quest in a way. It might be hard to watch today, especially with a truly amazing remake, but it is worth the view for fans of classic Westerns and John Wayne fans.
November 19, 2016
Solid Western. Much better than the overrated Coen brothers remake.
November 16, 2016
Ok movie starring the most iconic western Hollywood actor of all time John Wayne. I thought he would be amazing in this movie but it was a ok job, nothing amazing just ok. I thought this movie would crush the new true grit starring Jeff bridges but nope not all. For the first time ever the reboot is better than the original. For the time this movie was made I'm not surprised that this movie received a 90 percent on here but now in 2016 this movie is not a classic and should not be forgotten but just watch the new true grit. New is better, well in this case.
October 6, 2016
While True Grit is a classic and no one can deny how epic John Wayne was in this movie, there is also no denying that it has a rather sluggish pace with scenes that feel dragged out and unnecessary.
September 18, 2016
Wayne's masterpiece, aided by young Kim Karby and Glen Campbell in an earnest performance (he also sang the movie's theme song), plus a cast of veterans, and the marvelous Robert Duvall. Charles Portis' novels dialog is well rendered, the photography and scenery outstanding, the action memorable.
½ September 16, 2016
Gorgeously photographed comedy western in which feisty Kim Darby hires pot-bellied alcoholic John Wayne to track down her father's assassin. It's really every battle of the sexes movie you've ever seen but with horses and a rousing Elmer Bernstein score. Glen Campbell is pretty dull as the third main character, but sings the title song nicely.
½ September 13, 2016
John Wayne is excellent in one of his more iconic roles as Rooster Cogburn. It's definitely a worthy classic film that everybody should see once. (First and only viewing - 6/14/2012)
½ September 9, 2016
Test for tagging! :D
½ July 28, 2016
A great western classic. One of John Wayne's best.
July 12, 2016
In all seriousness, The cast is good. But, feels too corny with the plot not going anywhere. However, the action and music is by far my favorite part of the film.
½ June 5, 2016
Humorous, epic, and smart as a whip, "True Grit" is an all-American western and classic.
May 14, 2016
one of Waynes best movies
½ May 1, 2016
forgettable characters (outside the main duo), alot of boring moments and hasn't aged well. However the setting is beautiful, the characters don't get along (which is very entertaining) and a bitter ending: these things you don't see nowadays.
April 13, 2016
John Wayne's bulk dominates the film, and frequent cracks about his weight drive it home. Kim Darby as Maddy Ross talks funny (sans contractions) and is by turns inspiring, endearing and whiny, brainless. I guess that's 14 year olds for you? The climatic shootout is both hilarious and awe-inspiring, and the death count is staggering. A classic Western.
½ March 22, 2016
A tomboyish young woman hires a cutthroat Marshal to kill the hired hand who killed her father, insisting to go along for the ride. Decent western features a few future stars in supporting roles and won an Oscar for John Wayne, although his performance does not strike me as particularly noteworthy.
February 23, 2016
Thought I'd check out the original rather than the 're-imagining'/remake. Great stuff, I loved the beautiful landscapes especially!
January 5, 2016
True Grit may not be the smartest or most technical film, but John Wayne and Kim Darby establish an unlikely camaraderie that makes you root for them from start to finish. The plot line starts out strong, but as the story starts to break at the seams, the main stars take over and engage the audience as only a band of misfits could.
January 2, 2016
A good ol' adventure yarn. I disliked the mild flirtation between the Texas ranger and the girl considering he's clearly like at least twice her age, but other than that, I enjoyed the film.
December 20, 2015
True Grit's rating is boosted with John Wayne's presence.
December 19, 2015