Twilight Zone---The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twilight Zone---The Movie Reviews

July 24, 2017
Tonally off throughout, cheap and devoid of any real purpose it's hard to really find any positives. Spielberg's segment is a great example of a director who had the chance to get away from something drastically different to what he's produced and for some reason he makes something alike to Hook, I mean seriously what a missed opportunity for a director to make something akin to his story credit on Poltergeist. Only Miller's segment has any real tense and suspenseful aspects and easily the strongest part with a fantastic performance from Lithgow, but ultimately if can not save a anthology series that's just as bad as an old Goosebumps episode.
May 22, 2017
Should've been better.
½ May 9, 2017
Hoo boy, those first two segments are rough... Landis beats you over the head with a hammer, screaming "DO YOU GET THE CLEVER SUBTEXT ABOUT THE EVILS OF RACISM?????" and then Spielberg pours a 55-gallon drum of treacle on your corpse. Also something about a magical negro. But Dante and Miller seem to get the spirit of the thing, both in very different, very entertaining ways. A movie that was just longer versions of the last two segments would have been great: I would have loved more of the "family" hilariously pretending to be happy (and holy shit those monsters); and more time to build the tension on the plane. As it is, it's two segments that are almost unwatchably bad, and then two that are deliriously fun to watch, and I tend to favour the good over the bad when rating movies.
½ April 6, 2017
RIP Vic Morrow. Good actor. When I was younger I loved the Dante episode and hated the Spielberg. Now as an adult I dislike the Dante and love the Spielberg. Strange. The Landis episode about the Nazi's was good. The plane episode just never did anything for me. Even the TV one bored me.
½ March 23, 2017
Absolutely wonderful. Four brilliant directors all in one place, very intelligent writing, and cameos galore. Each vignette is an example of each type of episode you would see in the show. 'Twilight Zone: the Movie' is a treat for anyone who loves the original series as much as I do.
½ March 10, 2017
A weak effort that compiles a few different and unrelated stories together. I feel that fans of the television series deserved a better movie than this. It doesn't quite have the feel of a major production. (First and only viewing - 5/12/2011)
December 18, 2016
It's impossible to talk about this movie without making reference to the helicopter accident that led to the sad deaths of Vic Morrow and two children whilst filming. That particular segment is my personal favourite, though I'm amazed it was ever completed and shown. Speilbergs segment is perhaps the least interesting but on the whole the movie is a reasonable tribute to an excellent tv series.
½ October 31, 2016
This movie has not aged very well at all, but the John Landis and Joe Dante segments are hands-down the best parts of the film. George Miller's segment was very average, while Stephen Spielberg's was waaaaaay to sentimental for its own good.
September 18, 2016
Wow! I love every single thing about this movie. All four of the stories, and the mini one at the start were all very Twilight zones have. I love how they got Burgess Meredith to narrarate the whole thing along with Rod Serlings voice at the end.
½ August 17, 2016
Entertaining anthology of 4 bizarre tales from the likes of 4 different directors including Spielberg and George Miller. Diverse stories and styles of horror or thrills. Rating: 7 / 10
July 13, 2016
Twilight Zone---The Movie (1983) C-101m. ?? 1/2 D: John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, George Miller. Sincere but uneven attempt to bring classic B&W TV series THE TWILIGHT ZONE to the big screen. Four short stories from four talented film directors generally get better as they go along, although the opening prologue with Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks is actually the highlight of the picture. Shockingly, the weakest short is from Spielberg. Overall the switch to color, and more explicit stories negate Rod Serling's original, stealing out the mystery and intrigue of the TV series. Mostly for the curious. Final note: the last episode, directed by Miller, is the best.
May 26, 2016
John landis is a murderer
November 7, 2015
An interesting anthology that has twists and turns from the old TV show that spawn it.
November 5, 2015
Actor Vic morrow got is head chopped off. I don't recall this well, so might wd see it again.
October 26, 2015
Fun to watch anthology. One is always reminded of the tragic death of actor Vic Morrow and the child actors in the Vietnam portion.
½ October 12, 2015
It?s always hard to review anthology films as a whole, so I won?t. Landis and Spielberg both failed to varying degrees, the former making a dumb and ham-fisted racism commentary, the latter embarrassing himself with a terribly saccharine ?magical black man? tale about old people becoming young again. Luckily, Dante and Miller pickup the slack and make the whole worth watching. Dante?s awesome story about a kid who can controls everything with his mind is weird and unsettling, with some nightmarishly surreal visuals. And Miller brings it closest to the original show, with a campy yet scary campfire-esque story about a monster destroying an airplane midflight.
½ October 3, 2015
A hit and miss (mostly miss) collection of Twilight Zone fan favorites.
½ September 29, 2015
Some great rehashes of classic episodes, although it was disappointing to see Spielberg's entry as the least interesting one.

(The tragic drama behind this movie also hinders it)
Mark H.
September 28, 2015
Let's be honest, has there ever been a "great" film featuring a series of vignettes? How about one where each short is directed by a different person? Creepshow and Twilight Zone were released only about 7 months apart, and they may represent the two best short story compilation movies ever made. Years later, Tales From the Darkside was released, is worth seeing and a decent film in it's own right. Creepshow is the better film between it and Zone, but they are both very well made overall. We know about the tragedy, Vic Morrow and two children lost their lives in a horrific helicopter accident during the filming of what would be the first segment. Twilight Zone features four short stories, each from the legendary 1950's TV series of the same name. Mostly, the four directors capture the feel of that show, a very difficult task in and of itself. They also succeed at creating very widely diverse stories and moods. The first, a dark, somewhat mean tale about racism and hatred is even darker because of the real life fate of Vic Morrow. Still, this is a decent first story, and felt, to me at least, the most like an original Zone. Humorless, this first tale is wisely shown first so that by the end we sort of forget about it. The second story may have been viewed by the group (and, ironically I suppose, by director/producer, Steven Spielberg) as the weakest of the group. I don't agree. I felt this was the second best of the bunch, and I liked that it isn't out to scare us or creep us out in any way. It's a story about the value of life, making the most of the time we have, and that once around, for most, is enough (or it should be). I love Scatman Crothers, so I'm partial to this story, but I was moved by it, and I always am when I watch it. Without this story, this movie would have lacked alot of depth and weight I think. Spielberg is not afraid to step outside the box and do his own thing here. Even by 1983, he had juice. Joe Dante directs the weirdest of the bunch, the third entry which is about a cute, harmless-looking boy, about 11 years old, who has powers to make anything happen merely by making a wish. Creepy and uncomfortable, this is typical Dante being funny, creepy and scary in equal measure. The special effects are pretty good, and they save this entry from being a lot worse. The set is creepy and, while the story doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny, is fun if you just accept it for what it is. The fourth segment is the best, most feel by a large margin. I agree that it is tightly directly, well acted, and quite scary. The monster is well done, and the final showdown between John Jithgow and the air-gremlin is really scary. I think this movie was so-so until the final act, when it all gets salvaged by a fine finale. It's not that the rest of the movie isn't good, it's just that it was really on the fence teetering precariously until the "terror at 20,000 feet" remake pushed it decidedly onto the right side of the fence solidifying it's place in movie history as a modest success scarred by tragedy. Ironically, the monster in the original "terror at 20,000 feet" is a laughably bad costume which looks like a furry monkey with a puffy, swollen face the result of a seafood allergy.
August 29, 2015
LOVED the original television series, HATED this movie! Terribly disappointing!