Twilight Zone---The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twilight Zone---The Movie Reviews

September 18, 2016
Wow! I love every single thing about this movie. All four of the stories, and the mini one at the start were all very Twilight zones have. I love how they got Burgess Meredith to narrarate the whole thing along with Rod Serlings voice at the end.
½ August 17, 2016
Entertaining anthology of 4 bizarre tales from the likes of 4 different directors including Spielberg and George Miller. Diverse stories and styles of horror or thrills. Rating: 7 / 10
½ August 6, 2016
Absolutely wonderful. Four brilliant directors all in one place, very intelligent writing, and cameos galore. Each vignette is an example of each type of episode you would see in the show.
July 13, 2016
Twilight Zone---The Movie (1983) C-101m. ?? 1/2 D: John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, George Miller. Sincere but uneven attempt to bring classic B&W TV series THE TWILIGHT ZONE to the big screen. Four short stories from four talented film directors generally get better as they go along, although the opening prologue with Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks is actually the highlight of the picture. Shockingly, the weakest short is from Spielberg. Overall the switch to color, and more explicit stories negate Rod Serling's original, stealing out the mystery and intrigue of the TV series. Mostly for the curious. Final note: the last episode, directed by Miller, is the best.
May 26, 2016
John landis is a murderer
November 7, 2015
An interesting anthology that has twists and turns from the old TV show that spawn it.
November 5, 2015
Actor Vic morrow got is head chopped off. I don't recall this well, so might wd see it again.
October 26, 2015
Fun to watch anthology. One is always reminded of the tragic death of actor Vic Morrow and the child actors in the Vietnam portion.
½ October 12, 2015
It?s always hard to review anthology films as a whole, so I won?t. Landis and Spielberg both failed to varying degrees, the former making a dumb and ham-fisted racism commentary, the latter embarrassing himself with a terribly saccharine ?magical black man? tale about old people becoming young again. Luckily, Dante and Miller pickup the slack and make the whole worth watching. Dante?s awesome story about a kid who can controls everything with his mind is weird and unsettling, with some nightmarishly surreal visuals. And Miller brings it closest to the original show, with a campy yet scary campfire-esque story about a monster destroying an airplane midflight.
½ October 3, 2015
A hit and miss (mostly miss) collection of Twilight Zone fan favorites.
½ September 29, 2015
Some great rehashes of classic episodes, although it was disappointing to see Spielberg's entry as the least interesting one.

(The tragic drama behind this movie also hinders it)
Mark H.
September 28, 2015
Let's be honest, has there ever been a "great" film featuring a series of vignettes? How about one where each short is directed by a different person? Creepshow and Twilight Zone were released only about 7 months apart, and they may represent the two best short story compilation movies ever made. Years later, Tales From the Darkside was released, is worth seeing and a decent film in it's own right. Creepshow is the better film between it and Zone, but they are both very well made overall. We know about the tragedy, Vic Morrow and two children lost their lives in a horrific helicopter accident during the filming of what would be the first segment. Twilight Zone features four short stories, each from the legendary 1950's TV series of the same name. Mostly, the four directors capture the feel of that show, a very difficult task in and of itself. They also succeed at creating very widely diverse stories and moods. The first, a dark, somewhat mean tale about racism and hatred is even darker because of the real life fate of Vic Morrow. Still, this is a decent first story, and felt, to me at least, the most like an original Zone. Humorless, this first tale is wisely shown first so that by the end we sort of forget about it. The second story may have been viewed by the group (and, ironically I suppose, by director/producer, Steven Spielberg) as the weakest of the group. I don't agree. I felt this was the second best of the bunch, and I liked that it isn't out to scare us or creep us out in any way. It's a story about the value of life, making the most of the time we have, and that once around, for most, is enough (or it should be). I love Scatman Crothers, so I'm partial to this story, but I was moved by it, and I always am when I watch it. Without this story, this movie would have lacked alot of depth and weight I think. Spielberg is not afraid to step outside the box and do his own thing here. Even by 1983, he had juice. Joe Dante directs the weirdest of the bunch, the third entry which is about a cute, harmless-looking boy, about 11 years old, who has powers to make anything happen merely by making a wish. Creepy and uncomfortable, this is typical Dante being funny, creepy and scary in equal measure. The special effects are pretty good, and they save this entry from being a lot worse. The set is creepy and, while the story doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny, is fun if you just accept it for what it is. The fourth segment is the best, most feel by a large margin. I agree that it is tightly directly, well acted, and quite scary. The monster is well done, and the final showdown between John Jithgow and the air-gremlin is really scary. I think this movie was so-so until the final act, when it all gets salvaged by a fine finale. It's not that the rest of the movie isn't good, it's just that it was really on the fence teetering precariously until the "terror at 20,000 feet" remake pushed it decidedly onto the right side of the fence solidifying it's place in movie history as a modest success scarred by tragedy. Ironically, the monster in the original "terror at 20,000 feet" is a laughably bad costume which looks like a furry monkey with a puffy, swollen face the result of a seafood allergy.
August 29, 2015
LOVED the original television series, HATED this movie! Terribly disappointing!
½ July 28, 2015
You're better off watching the episodes that inspired it.

Skip it.
June 26, 2015
Excellent story telling, directing, and cinematography!
May 27, 2015
While the first two segments are kinda lackluster(this first one is intriguing, until you find out what happened behind the scenes...), but the last two segments are indeed brilliant, plus a nice little end gag that refers to the prologue.
May 19, 2015
Though not without great moments, Twilight Zone- The Movie feels much more sappy than it should. Two of the four sketches have such doughy-eyed endings, you'd swear they weren't meant to be here.
In the series, each episode left us with a final lesson; a final thought. Here however, we simply watch everyone walk or ride into the distance while dissolving to the next bit. And while that may work fine, it feels lacking any resolution.
The first segment finds no connection to the character, and his lack of likability, and the sense that by the end, he hadn't grown, makes the whole bit feel empty and lacking weight.
The second segment (Spielberg's, no less) is very much unfitting. Feeling more like a fan fiction of his film, Hook, this bit is nothing but kitsch. With almost no other-worldliness to it, it seems more like a bedtime story than a twilight zone bit.
The third segment, though slow to build, has an exciting premise once you discover what's going on. Littered with great practical effects and wonderful overall art design, this one is a joy to watch. It does, however, squander its great premise, and ends on a very dull note.
The finale is a great retelling of Nightmare At 20,000 Feet. While it lacks the slow moving, deeply unsettling quiet of the original episode, it instead gives us a fast, frantic, panicked, and claustrophobic story of "a man on the wing." Plus, John Lithgow is a joy to watch, as always.
All in all, I'd call the movie a tad underwhelming, but not bad. Fun to watch if you loved the show, but probably not a good place to start if you're looking to get into it all.
½ May 6, 2015
Pretty entertaining. I've never seen The Twilight Zone show and I had never seen this movie until now. I might have to go watch the show now. It reminded me of Creepshow/Tales From The Crypt in that they are somewhat scary stories that don't take themselves too seriously.

I can see the writers of The Simpsons were highly influenced by this movie. Many of the segments have been emulated in Treehouse Of Horror episodes. Not to mention Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson) and Albert Brooks (who's been on many episodes and the movie) appear in this.

I really wish more movies now would be like this one (not very gory, with little to no computer animation). Trick 'r' Treat was good example of how these old school horror stories with ironic/funny twists can be done now. Hopefully more film makers will use this style in the future.
April 24, 2015
Prologue: This segment by John Landis who also wrote it did a great job of just writing down conversations between the Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks. The conversations are a bit interesting and it felt like a real-life conversation until the end. When it does go to the end, it didn't necessarily scare me as I would actually never see it coming, but it felt a bit cheap for me and was more of a, meh, way to start scaring us for the movie.
Time Out: John Landis does another segment that is a fine segment, but isn't really that memorable. Vic Marrow is great in his last performance, and the story might be nice, but I didn't really care about the main character as he was really mean-spirited. He kept ranting a lot in the beginning that it's predictable to see where it's going. The writing is fine, but I don't think it's as good as the prologue. Time Out doesn't make the movie that great of a start, but it's an all right one.
Kick the Can: Steven Spielberg's segment is a great one that doesn't really fit with the movie, but still is enjoyable. The old cast are really good, and so are the child cast. The plot is simple, but it does lead in to the moral of the story which is really good and can make people think differently about wanting to be a kid again, even though there are some people just want to do it for the adventure again which is fine also. It seems to be the most heartfelt out of all of the movie, which I was a bit disappointed that I wanted Steven Spielberg to do another horror movie like he did with Poltergeist, but I was fine with what I got and it seem like a nitpick to me.
It's a Good Life: Joe Dante's segment is quite something that is one of the best segments in the film. The kid is really good and can act creepy in this. The imagery is a bit disturbing, and the effects look great, both practical and computer. The plot is really good, and that I want to see more of this than any of the past segments. It gets more and more insane that you don't even know what's going to happen next. The writing is nicely done, leaving some questions for interpretation while answering questions also. It's a fantastic segment that gives in more of the feeling that you are watching the Twilight Zone.
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet: The last segment by George Miller is a great way to end the movie. John Lithgow did a fantastic job of being scared and is just having so much fun. The monster design looks really good and scary, and the suspense is really effective. When it got to the scare part, it didn't seem scary and more just really funny when the monster just kept shaking its head up and down really fast. It's not as interesting or crazy as Joe Dante's segment, but it is still interesting and has some crazy moments, mostly from John Lithgow of how scared he can be, but it also still felt like something out of the Twilight Zone like the other segment.
Twilight Zone: The Movie is a great movie that is nice to see talented directors to make their own segments. It does seem obvious that some segments are better then others, but there hasn't been a segment in it that's bad or disappointing which makes this movie better than some other anthology films.
April 11, 2015
As far as an ode to the original series it's hit or miss.