Twilight Zone---The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twilight Zone---The Movie Reviews

½ August 7, 2011
Four stories by four directors, Spielberg, Landis, Dante and Miller, a great collection of directors and a neat selection of spooky tales. This is actually a great movie adaptation of the series which doesn't forget its place and go overboard, the stories are remakes from the original series but including one original story.

The first tale is about a racist bigot who is somehow transported back and forth through time from Nazi Germany to Vietnam experiencing racism against himself. An obviously strong message of justice or revenge against prejudice in a very simple way. Landis does a reasonable job with the simple tale but its a little uninspired and personally I would of liked a more horror based tale from the master of comedic terror.

Tale two from Spielberg is again rather uninspired but you can tell miles off its by Spielberg with its warm glow and gentle heart. A tale of old folk who dream of becoming young again and with the help of a mysterious old man in their retirement home they do just that overnight. Easily the tear jerker of the four, very sweet, very cozy with strong similarities to the Ron Howard movie 'Cocoon', did Howard possibly pinch the idea?

Tale three is clearly made by Dante, like tale two you can see the directors style straight away visually and design wise. Trademark Dante finger prints all over this with his fave actor Dick Miller used yet again. A fun and very eerie tale of a boy who can make anything he wishes come true and holds a group of people captive in his bizarre home. Pretending to be his family the small group of people are merely scared of the boy and can never leave fearing the young boy may wish something terrible upon them. Its a spooky tale if you think about it and works very well, parodied by The Simpson's in a 'Treehouse of Terror' episode surely means it deserves respect.

The final tale by Miller is a remake of the classic Twilight Zone episode which featured a young William Shatner 'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet', again parodied by 'The Simpson's' earning it even more respect and fame. A terrified airline passenger is driven insane by a combination of the fear of flying and the fact he can see a monster on the wing of the plane ripping apart the engine. Probably the best of the tales with a great concept and cool creature to boot. John Lithgow plays the passenger going insane from fear nerves and anxiety with a performance equal to the original whilst the gremlin looks perfectly kooky and unnerving (Gremlin-ish).

Mixed bag of tales really, the two from Dante and Miller being the best, Spielberg's is reasonable but boring and Landis I think picked the wrong type of story to best suit his abilities. Love the bookend sequences with Dan Aykroyd and the overall visual style of the movie from all directors. My only wish is that the film were a tad more mysterious and sinister with its tales, but overall its a solid anthology.
TheDudeLebowski65
February 6, 2014
Effective horror anthology, Twilight Zone-The Movie is a memorable horror film that ranks among the finest of anthologies. This type of horror film is hard to pull off due to the fact that it's multiple stories that are designed to scare the audience. This ranks among the finest anthology films in the genre and overall it's a highly entertaining film, one that every horror fan should watch. The film boasts an impressive cast, who each bring a terrific quality that makes the film that much better. There is not one weak story presented in the film, however there are at least one truly stronger than the last one, but that's a matter of opinion. I've never seen the show, but to those like me, who's never experienced the show, this film is sure to satisfy. In terms of sheer terror, Twilight Zone: The Movie is a very atmospheric, well executed genre film that is highly entertaining and thrilling. This is an essential anthology in the genre, and like I stated, is one of the best that I have seen. Well crafted, and executed, this anthology is a classic, and boasts impressive stories that are sure to delight any fan of whatever horror genre. This is a stunning piece of cinema, one that is sure to thrill any viewer of film, and it boasts some truly terrifying and memorable stories. I highly recommend this film, and it's a fine anthology, that set the standards of all films of this genre to follow. With effective stories, and a good cast, Twilight Zone: The movie is a great horror film that you shouldn't pass up.
½ October 28, 2011
Not better that the original series and sometimes boring, but The Twilight Zone: The Movie is a nice and entertaining bizzare movie very surrealist and kinda funny that presents some good actings, as like of John Lithgow. Fresh.
½ March 3, 2011
I'd say that this didn't age well, but I can't imagine it was ever any good in the first place. I usually like stuff like this, this one is just painfully stupid. The few good ideas are poorly executed, there are no twists, and what's suppose to be scary is unintentionally funny. Embarrassing. Avoid this garbage.
½ February 6, 2011
1st Segment : 2.5/5
2nd Segment : 2/5 (Directed by Spielberg !!!)
3rd Segment : 1.5/5
4th Segment : 3/5
September 6, 2010
I love The Twilight Zone, it's one of my favourite shows, so when I heard about this movie, I just had to see it, since then it's been one of my favourites. The movie takes episodes from the show, and sort of updates them, so it's very interesting to see if you're a big fan of the show. Plus, there's a good cast. I love this movie, and I highly recommend it.
½ January 25, 2008
Made up of four short stories - none of which I would call scary. The first with the racist guy is really weak and boring. The second, with the old people is sweet more than scary. The third, (creepy kid) and fourth (aeroplane) are marginally better, but more cheesy than anything else. Perhaps it was better in it's day...
TheGame90
February 18, 2008
It was pretty good...and good music
FilmFanatik
April 26, 2007
Despite the controversy, this is a great collection of stories with George Miller's entry being the best.
March 4, 2006
Four great solid stories that make me want to see more old episodes.
July 7, 2007
An anthology of big-screen Twilight Zone tales.

Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks get us in the mood with a late night car drive, reminiscing about the old TV show.

Vic Morrow plays a racist who is thrust into the shoes of persecuted blacks, jews and vietnamese, for a eye-opening tale. Too bad about the real life tragedy which befell this shoot.

Scatman Crothers plays a game of kick the can with some old folks home residents for some juvenile fun. This segment dragged things down a bit, but there's a great conclusion.

Kathleen Quinlan plays a visiting teacher to a town cowering in fear over a small boy with god-like powers. The scenes at the boy's home are genuinely creepy. It has a very touching resolution.

Finally, John Lithgow plays a passenger on a stormy airplane ride, who sights a creature attempting to sabotage the plane's engine out the window. It's great freaky paranoid tension which brings the movie to a screaming finale.

Overall, the whole series of tales is a fun ride.
May 16, 2007
Not all of it was good, but all in all enjoyable. I would be interested in seeing what the episode with Vic Morrow would have been like had he not died during the production.
Beefy
May 13, 2007
Gave me the creeps when I was younger.
garyX
January 10, 2007
Successfully captures the spirit of the TV series by presenting an uneven mix of half-arsed sci-fi shorts full of dodgy metaphors and cornball moralising. The final segment is the best, as (shockingly!) John Lithgow's thespian abilities are more than a match for William Shatner's...
Disappointing considering the talent involved.
Mark H.
September 28, 2015
Let's be honest, has there ever been a "great" film featuring a series of vignettes? How about one where each short is directed by a different person? Creepshow and Twilight Zone were released only about 7 months apart, and they may represent the two best short story compilation movies ever made. Years later, Tales From the Darkside was released, is worth seeing and a decent film in it's own right. Creepshow is the better film between it and Zone, but they are both very well made overall. We know about the tragedy, Vic Morrow and two children lost their lives in a horrific helicopter accident during the filming of what would be the first segment. Twilight Zone features four short stories, each from the legendary 1950's TV series of the same name. Mostly, the four directors capture the feel of that show, a very difficult task in and of itself. They also succeed at creating very widely diverse stories and moods. The first, a dark, somewhat mean tale about racism and hatred is even darker because of the real life fate of Vic Morrow. Still, this is a decent first story, and felt, to me at least, the most like an original Zone. Humorless, this first tale is wisely shown first so that by the end we sort of forget about it. The second story may have been viewed by the group (and, ironically I suppose, by director/producer, Steven Spielberg) as the weakest of the group. I don't agree. I felt this was the second best of the bunch, and I liked that it isn't out to scare us or creep us out in any way. It's a story about the value of life, making the most of the time we have, and that once around, for most, is enough (or it should be). I love Scatman Crothers, so I'm partial to this story, but I was moved by it, and I always am when I watch it. Without this story, this movie would have lacked alot of depth and weight I think. Spielberg is not afraid to step outside the box and do his own thing here. Even by 1983, he had juice. Joe Dante directs the weirdest of the bunch, the third entry which is about a cute, harmless-looking boy, about 11 years old, who has powers to make anything happen merely by making a wish. Creepy and uncomfortable, this is typical Dante being funny, creepy and scary in equal measure. The special effects are pretty good, and they save this entry from being a lot worse. The set is creepy and, while the story doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny, is fun if you just accept it for what it is. The fourth segment is the best, most feel by a large margin. I agree that it is tightly directly, well acted, and quite scary. The monster is well done, and the final showdown between John Jithgow and the air-gremlin is really scary. I think this movie was so-so until the final act, when it all gets salvaged by a fine finale. It's not that the rest of the movie isn't good, it's just that it was really on the fence teetering precariously until the "terror at 20,000 feet" remake pushed it decidedly onto the right side of the fence solidifying it's place in movie history as a modest success scarred by tragedy. Ironically, the monster in the original "terror at 20,000 feet" is a laughably bad costume which looks like a furry monkey with a puffy, swollen face the result of a seafood allergy.
January 21, 2014
Four legendary directors come together to pay tribute to the vision of Rod Serling with the anthology film Twilight Zone: The Movie. John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, and George Miller each direct a segment that's based on an original Twilight Zone episode. However, these adaptations don't really live up to the original episodes, and they don"t flow together very well. Still, there are some interesting performances by Burgess Meredith, Dan Aykroyd, Scatman Crothers, and John Lithgow. Twilight Zone: The Movie is an interesting homage to the series, but it fails to capture the same tone of wonder and imagination.
December 8, 2011
I can't say this is a directing achievement for John Landis, Joe Dante, Steven Spielberg or George Miller, but its watchable. "Kick the Can" was my focus, its interesting as a segment, but the whole film acts more like a tele movie for the TV show.
August 22, 2011
Full Review Coming!
½ April 11, 2009
It's an ok movie that could have been a lot better if the other directors had invested as much into their sequence as George Miller does in the final story. His sequence is the best acted (kudos to John Lithgow) and directed. The Joe Dante sequence is ok, except for that creepy rabbit which is pretty cool. The Steven Spielberg sequence is God awful, it may be the worst thing he has ever done. And the John Landis one . . . well outside of just being stupid his irresponsibility as a director lead to the deaths of three people. Should have gotten jail time in my opinion. Whether directly or indirectly the director is ALWAYS responsible for what happens on their set and what happened here was pretty inexcusable.
DrStrangeblog
January 25, 2009
Stick with the TV show, even episodes from the new version are better than this movie despite the talent behind the cameras involved.