Twilight Zone---The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twilight Zone---The Movie Reviews

August 17, 2017
4 different segments directed by 4 very prolific directors. One whom is a mainstream legend(Spielberg) and another a cult legend(Miller). The two directed by Joe Dante and George Miller are very well done. The two by John Landis and Steven Spielberg are definitely on the weaker side of both men's filmography. However, the Landis directed prologue starring Dan Akyroyd and Albert Brooks is good. Not what it should've been considering the pedigree but still worthy of a watch if you are fan of any of these 4 men or Rod Serling's classic TV series.
August 16, 2017
While I enjoy the idea of this picture and approve of the choice of Twilight zone regular burgess Meredith as the stand-in for Rod Serling can't say I enjoyed it too much on the whole. the four vignettes are fine but the idea to do modern twist on existing episodes of the twilight zone pretty much sabotages any hope of this movie being worth the time of more seasoned twilight zone fans, reducing the movie to high-quality fanfiction rather than high concept science-fiction morality tales. But it still serves as a good trip down memory lane and does a good job of communicating the spirit of the original series. And I know the sensibilities of studios filmmakers and movie fans may have been a little different in the 80s but the idea to not go black and white is kind of baffling.

I'm watching this for the first time many years after its original release but I only can imagine that this probably played a little better before Nick at night, DVD box sets and Netflix existed when it wasn't possible to have seen these episodes they're attempting to breathe new life into dozens of times over. And the narrative bookends with Dan Aykroyd doing automotive themed comedy routines seems really out of place but I guess served as good material for trailers and TV spot for the film.

Out of the four vignettes I'd say the Spielberg one is disappointingly the weakest but the movie does close on a strong note in with the George Miller segment that stars John Lithgow.

If you're a diehard hard fan and have never seen The twilight zone movie I'd say it's worth at least one watch and if you're not as familiar with the show it serves as a good spark notes version of the original series but if you're looking for more fully realized versions of the idea of a modern twilight zone you're better off watching a season of black mirror instead.
July 24, 2017
Tonally off throughout, cheap and devoid of any real purpose it's hard to really find any positives. Spielberg's segment is a great example of a director who had the chance to get away from something drastically different to what he's produced and for some reason he makes something alike to Hook, I mean seriously what a missed opportunity for a director to make something akin to his story credit on Poltergeist. Only Miller's segment has any real tense and suspenseful aspects and easily the strongest part with a fantastic performance from Lithgow, but ultimately if can not save a anthology series that's just as bad as an old Goosebumps episode.
May 22, 2017
Should've been better.
½ May 9, 2017
Hoo boy, those first two segments are rough... Landis beats you over the head with a hammer, screaming "DO YOU GET THE CLEVER SUBTEXT ABOUT THE EVILS OF RACISM?????" and then Spielberg pours a 55-gallon drum of treacle on your corpse. Also something about a magical negro. But Dante and Miller seem to get the spirit of the thing, both in very different, very entertaining ways. A movie that was just longer versions of the last two segments would have been great: I would have loved more of the "family" hilariously pretending to be happy (and holy shit those monsters); and more time to build the tension on the plane. As it is, it's two segments that are almost unwatchably bad, and then two that are deliriously fun to watch, and I tend to favour the good over the bad when rating movies.
½ April 6, 2017
RIP Vic Morrow. Good actor. When I was younger I loved the Dante episode and hated the Spielberg. Now as an adult I dislike the Dante and love the Spielberg. Strange. The Landis episode about the Nazi's was good. The plane episode just never did anything for me. Even the TV one bored me.
½ March 23, 2017
Absolutely wonderful. Four brilliant directors all in one place, very intelligent writing, and cameos galore. Each vignette is an example of each type of episode you would see in the show. 'Twilight Zone: the Movie' is a treat for anyone who loves the original series as much as I do.
½ March 10, 2017
A weak effort that compiles a few different and unrelated stories together. I feel that fans of the television series deserved a better movie than this. It doesn't quite have the feel of a major production. (First and only viewing - 5/12/2011)
December 18, 2016
It's impossible to talk about this movie without making reference to the helicopter accident that led to the sad deaths of Vic Morrow and two children whilst filming. That particular segment is my personal favourite, though I'm amazed it was ever completed and shown. Speilbergs segment is perhaps the least interesting but on the whole the movie is a reasonable tribute to an excellent tv series.
½ October 31, 2016
This movie has not aged very well at all, but the John Landis and Joe Dante segments are hands-down the best parts of the film. George Miller's segment was very average, while Stephen Spielberg's was waaaaaay to sentimental for its own good.
September 18, 2016
Wow! I love every single thing about this movie. All four of the stories, and the mini one at the start were all very Twilight zones have. I love how they got Burgess Meredith to narrarate the whole thing along with Rod Serlings voice at the end.
½ August 17, 2016
Entertaining anthology of 4 bizarre tales from the likes of 4 different directors including Spielberg and George Miller. Diverse stories and styles of horror or thrills. Rating: 7 / 10
July 13, 2016
Twilight Zone---The Movie (1983) C-101m. ?? 1/2 D: John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, George Miller. Sincere but uneven attempt to bring classic B&W TV series THE TWILIGHT ZONE to the big screen. Four short stories from four talented film directors generally get better as they go along, although the opening prologue with Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks is actually the highlight of the picture. Shockingly, the weakest short is from Spielberg. Overall the switch to color, and more explicit stories negate Rod Serling's original, stealing out the mystery and intrigue of the TV series. Mostly for the curious. Final note: the last episode, directed by Miller, is the best.
May 26, 2016
John landis is a murderer
November 7, 2015
An interesting anthology that has twists and turns from the old TV show that spawn it.
November 5, 2015
Actor Vic morrow got is head chopped off. I don't recall this well, so might wd see it again.
October 26, 2015
Fun to watch anthology. One is always reminded of the tragic death of actor Vic Morrow and the child actors in the Vietnam portion.
½ October 12, 2015
It?s always hard to review anthology films as a whole, so I won?t. Landis and Spielberg both failed to varying degrees, the former making a dumb and ham-fisted racism commentary, the latter embarrassing himself with a terribly saccharine ?magical black man? tale about old people becoming young again. Luckily, Dante and Miller pickup the slack and make the whole worth watching. Dante?s awesome story about a kid who can controls everything with his mind is weird and unsettling, with some nightmarishly surreal visuals. And Miller brings it closest to the original show, with a campy yet scary campfire-esque story about a monster destroying an airplane midflight.
½ October 3, 2015
A hit and miss (mostly miss) collection of Twilight Zone fan favorites.
½ September 29, 2015
Some great rehashes of classic episodes, although it was disappointing to see Spielberg's entry as the least interesting one.

(The tragic drama behind this movie also hinders it)