U-571 Reviews

• Sep 21, 2020

Alongside Pearl Harbor, Braveheart and The Patriot, this has to be in the running for the most historically inaccurate film ever made, not to mention the implied Anglophobia alongside Pearl Harbor (and a dishonourable mention for Spielberg's "Saving Private Ryan") in completely failing to recognise the contribution made by any other allied nation in WWII (yes, I'm talking to you Stephen, there were other nations involved in D Day, in fact more non-US than US personnel) and the absolute blatant Anglophobia from the renowned Anti-semite, racist misogynist Gibson.

• Aug 28, 2020

DAS BOOT it is NICHT (NOT) Ich spreche Deutsch (I speak German) This movie has a good plot, but I think it could have been done much better. For me it was too rushed. They do speak German in the beginning, but most of it is in English. Some of the crew just didn't make me feel it was during World war 2 in 1942. Characters could have been better developed. For me realism just wasn't there. They were an inexperienced crew, but then suddenly everyone knows everything etc. The movie does have a lot of action, I will give it that, This was a one time watch. It was exciting,but nothing I would buy. It was a good try. You won't be bored.

• Jul 24, 2020

If you could summarize the plot, you could make it about stealing credit from other countries and making one crime represent an entire military service. While movie itself is good as a cinematic piece, the real crime is that it implies itself as being historically truthful while being quite the opposite. It takes the Kreigsmarine of Germany, who regularly aided their victims with provisions and makes them into callous war criminals. Factually, there was only ever ONE incident of U-boats shooting shipwrecked sailors in the entire war altogether, which the German Navy universally condemned upon discovery. So this serves to misinform the public audience with essentially fictional content. Second is that the British actually captured a different U-boat while the US never captured one at all. All these vessels had nothing to with any of the made up events. This movie may has nothing to do with the war, and should therefore be seen as what it is, an insult to veterans of all nations involved, falsification of history, and stolen valor.

• Jul 03, 2020

Not my cup of tea but it is exciting and intense. A great cast also help.

Not my cup of tea but it is exciting and intense. A great cast also help.

• Jun 14, 2020

At a propagandic degree of heroic favoritism, it is genuinely inaccurate just to sell the story on a different turf as a composition of submarine films with atmospherically tense thrills and routine idealness that still honors the actual story in general through dedicated shots and decent, solidly-casted performances. (B+)

• Jun 10, 2020

Das Boot remains the definitive U-boat film, but the story here was interesting and kept me interested throughout. Not bad, but not great.

• May 17, 2020

This submarine drama was pretty good. Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton, Harvey Keitel, Jake Weber, and the rest of the cast did an excellent job in this movie. This true story about capturing a German submarine and retrieve an enigma code machine was pretty dramatic and intense. If you haven't seen this movie yet, check it out sometime. It's worth seeing.

• Mar 12, 2020

Okay Plot, Kinda cheesy underwater explosions, pretty good film

Okay Plot, Kinda cheesy underwater explosions, pretty good film

• Jan 22, 2020

These reviews are laughable. Roger Ebert's review is the only one who hits correct. This is a dumb movie, completely inaccurate, crediting the US with cracking the enigma when the UK had done it before the US even entered the war. Everything you see the Americans do in this film the British did. HMS Bulldog, the story of British mathematicians and Alan Turing, a Cambridge University mathematician and logician, provided much of the original thinking that led to the design of the cryptanalytical bombe machines that were instrumental in eventually breaking the naval Enigma. And of course all the people at Bletchley park. The true story is really interesting! But yet they think that US audiences wont watch it if they think there is a chance of suggesting the US didn't win the war all by themselves. Cryptanalysis of the Enigma was 'instrumental to an allied victory' according to Eisenhower, but it didn't happen like this. If you want to watch a good professional sub film watch Das Boot (1981) or even The Hunt for Red October (1990) They are more likely to tell a good story with some truth to it.

• Jan 15, 2020

It's tense, it's well made, it has great action sequences and solid performances, but it just doesn't grab. No idea why...