Underworld: Awakening Reviews

• 6d ago

Kate Beckinsale is as hot and badass as ever, but that didn't change the fact that this was a cheap, lazy excuse of a film that felt more like a video game. Grade: D-

• Sep 16, 2020

The story gets a little lost as the series gets thrust into an entirely different direction, ditching its original formula. Though this entry suffers from a lot of shortcomings, Beckinsale remains to be its saving grace with her performance as Selene.

• Jul 11, 2020

Disappointing for sure but I've seen worse

Disappointing for sure but I've seen worse

• Jul 03, 2020

It had a bit more story and a little heart this time. We are lucky Kate Beckinsale returned.

• Jun 16, 2020

Underworld: Awakening starts off so promising. I like the concept of humans finally discovering that these mythical monsters exist in their world, and it makes sense that their reaction is fear and violence. Making humanity the bad guys is intriguing, and at least with humans I could relax in knowing what their weaknesses are, so they don’t take thousands of gunshots and survive only to be killed by a single knife to the chest. Likewise, it would be fascinating to see how the vampires and werewolves would have to band together in order to form an underground resistance to preserve their kind. Yet they completely skip over the entire war with humans. That’s right, this movie makes the moronic decision to jump ahead 12 years to the point that there are only a handful of the undead creatures still in existence. While this might increase the importance of Selene since she’s part of an endangered species, it also skipped over some of the most interesting dramatic things they could have done with this franchise. This might be a minor spoiler for Underworld: Awakening, but they also don’t really show a war with humans when we get to the future. Instead, it just boils down to the same mindless fights between vampire and lycan. I continue to find these battles boring because it is unclear why at one moment you can easily rip a skull in half, and then later you struggle to even stay alive against the same creatures. Also, the effects are just a joke at this point. The lycans look like old Ray Harryhausen stop motion creatures when they don’t just look like 2-dimensional cartoons. I can’t take anything seriously when I’m watching goofy monsters that look that bad. There are a few story elements that work in this chapter of the saga. I thought the bond between family members was interesting, and I will always enjoy Michael Ealy in anything. I keep wanting them to figure out the Underworld franchise and make something decent, but they continue to make films that are average at best.

• Jun 02, 2020

If you saw Awakening, the fourth film in the franchise, odds are that you were already something of a series fan, and this is the one that determined whether or not you cared a lick for the story at all; tied to the previous entries by only the thinnest of threads, Awakening compensated with all the gunplay and blood it could muster. For me, that was enough to make it far from my last choice when it came on TV. (3/5)

• Feb 04, 2020

Underworld: Awakening is an improvement compared to the mess that was Rise of the Lycans with better action sequences, clearer visuals and keeping the focus where it should be: on Selene. Unfortunately, however well-acted this movie may be, it also suffers from bad special effects, a generic screenplay and not going as far as it could've with its premise preferring to recycle the basic "vampires vs. werewolves" story that's been dominating this franchise rather than telling something different. While I still find this sequel to be better than the awful prequel, I didn't like it all that much when compared to the first two entries. I'm sure this movie is a hell of a lot better than Blood Wars so...there's that.

• Nov 15, 2019

I did not realize Underworld had this many sequels. I gave up after a couple on account of they were so bad and oddly departed from what made the original so good. Awakening actually goes back to the original material, tracking Selene and Michael as they flee a human retaliation 'purge' of Lycans and Vampires. Selene is back in killing form and looks good doing it. The action is decent if the CGI a little sketchy. From there things go a bit downhill. Not just for the vamps, but for the movie as well. There are a bunch of supporting characters that kind of wander in and out helping from time to time, none of which are given any serious screen time. The daughter-monster doesn't seem particularly helpful, and her superpower seems to be getting a purple face. I can see where they were going with the plotline, and it isn't awful, but it does feel overstretched, like the franchise has already said everything it needed to say. Definitely not as good or as compelling as the original.

• Oct 25, 2019

Horrible and absolute garbage. Rating: 1.2/10

Horrible and absolute garbage. Rating: 1.2/10

• Jul 25, 2019

Cool concept that has you compelled in the beginning and then throws that idea out right away.