Undisputed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Undisputed Reviews

April 13, 2011
The Mike Tyson story this could be, Mr Chambers (Rhames) goes to jail for an accusation of rape and becomes an even bigger media typhoon than he was before. At first I didn't think much of the film to be honest, it was cliched and kinda boring really plus Rhames as 'Chambers' was an annoying character who you wanted to see beaten.

I soon discovered that my feelings towards Chambers actually fuelled my enjoyment as the film continues and Snipes character 'Monroe' comes into play. The tense build up between the two up to the obvious finale does get you going. Lets not get over excited here this is your typical 'Rocky-ish' story with all the usual characters, dialog and scenes, not original but a good beat em up when the fists fly.

The final fight is well done and you do feel the blows as Snipes and Rhames match up and sweat over each other, I'm pretty sure Rhames would win in a real fight though as he looks pretty darn solid.
August 21, 2010
A solid prison drama with strong performances by Wesley Snipes and Ving Rhames, but the film lacks in any form of human emotion or character study and just leaves a dark shell that isn't totally filled and makes you feel unsatisfied. But it's not to say it isn't well-crafted from it's director, Walter Hill. It also has one of the best boxing showdowns shown in a film since the original Rocky and Raging Bull.
April 4, 2007
Not a film that holds your attention well. Overacted, over the top on the fight sound effects, hugely energetic fighting for a heavyweight fight. You really are not missing out on anything by skipping this film.
May 11, 2007
A very solid boxing film set in prison. Almost seems to be aimed at one World heavy weight champ in the real world! The boxing scenes are done very well, but the build up isn't as good as say the better Rocky films. Not a bad effort and worth watching when it's on.
September 30, 2008
I enjoyed Undisputed for the first thirty minutes or so but after that I became lost. The character we never get to know, oddly, is the hero, played by Wesley Snipes. I can't help but feel that this film lost it in the editing room. Somehow this movie feels like half a movie. Like important parts have been chopped away. I just can't imagine writers Walter Hill and David Giler writing a script with such a non-dimensional lead character. While action film veteran Walter Hill has learned some stylish new tricks to filmmaking, they're not enough to save his latest effort. All in all, two incarcerated boxers go head to head, but it's the movie that gets K.O.'d.
½ January 17, 2008
Criminally (get it, it takes place at a prison) overlooked boxing film that is edge of your seat exciting from start to finish. I can't believe this didn't gain new life on video.
½ January 9, 2008
2/16/2015: An ok movie. A pretty good storyline, but the choreography wasn't that great. They don't compare to those in the Rocky films at all.
March 23, 2014
Awesome movie!! It was intense and action-packed!! The film had great fight scenes and will keep you on the edge of your seat!! The cast was absolutely great, especially Wesley Snipes which owns his role!! If you like boxing movies, than you will enjoy this!! If you dont like boxing movies that does not have non-stop action, than you might want to sit this one out!! This is one of the best boxing movies of all-time!! This is a must-see!!
½ May 18, 2013
This is not the genre of movies I like to watch, therefore I wasn't very interested about it. I liked the fact that it had a story, and the main characters had one of their own too. I thought this movie was going to be just about boxing and fighting, but instead, it had about two fights in total. Which kind of disappointed me. Overall, it bored me most of the times, but at least it had a decent story for this type of movie and some decent acting as well.
February 12, 2012
Pretty good film but not as good as it could have been. Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes pulled off being good boxers in the film and that carried it. Other than that, Peter Falk's character was confusing and the story was not that good. Compared to his other works, this was by far one of the lesser films that Walter Hill directed. The soundtrack was not that good either; whatever film Master P is in, it is probably not going to be good.
January 14, 2012
a fair movie if i say so my self,but not a good enough movie that i went to see it.i watched this online. i was expecting a prison version of rocky which was what my friends where saying.Not even close.While its good i only give it a d or 6/10 for just unmemorable scenes and one fight in which both only get a few bruises here and there. i had no interest till i saw undisputed 2.
score:6/10 or d+
August 21, 2011
I really like Wesley Snipes and Ving, but this movie is just terrible. The story is slow and boring. Acting is terrible they look like they didn't want to be there. I have no idea how they made two sequels out of this piece of crap!

~ Average Movie Guy
August 10, 2011
Wow, this was terrible.

All I was expecting was some good action, and a decent story. Wrong.

The acting was terrible. The writing abysmal. And the action wasn't very good either. To top it off, the final showdown was a joke. 2 guys beating the shit out of each other and barely a mark on their face. I guess they forgot to hire a makeup artist.
½ August 10, 2011
You put him in a situation that threatened violence

The heavyweight boxing champion of the world has been sent to jail after being found guilty of rape. Within the jail there are ongoing boxing events where an infamous boxing amateur holds the current title. Shortly after the champion's arrival, an inmate with mob ties sets up a boxing match between the champion and the amateur. Who will win this hotly contested event?

"I don't want nobody to talk to me unless I talk to them."

Walter Hill, director of Trespass, Last Man Standing, Supernova, Johnny Handsome, Wild Bill, 48 hrs., Another 48 Hrs, Red Heat, Brewster's Millions, The Warriors, and Southern Comfort, delivers Undisputed. The storyline for this picture is okay and nothing special overall. The fight sequences are fairly decent and the acting was mediocre even for the genre. The cast includes Wesley Snipes, Ving Rhames, Peter Falk, Michael Rooker, and Ed Lover.

"Some women like it rough. Do you know anything about that?"

I try to see as many Roger Corman and Walter Hill pictures as possible. They seem to deliver solid Grindhouse/B movies consistently; however, this era wasn't kind to either of them. This modern prison drama isn't overly fascinating even with the Mike Tyson undertone. This is an average picture but nothing special overall.

"He got a brand new tattoo just for the occasion."

Grade: C
½ April 24, 2011
This was Hollywood movie about boxing. I like Wesley Snipes and I think he his a great action star, so I've got to give him prompts for choreographing all the fight scenes. Problem was the fights were like watching Rocky in prison. The story also seemed a little contrived, but believable given what happened to Mike Tyson. Overall it was a good rental.
½ September 29, 2010
This move was really good, Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes do an outstanding performance and work well off eachother.
November 2, 2009
Undisputed=underrated!!! I thought this was a very good movie, some of my friends never heard of it, so im gonna put yall on game and tell you to see it some time, aight? Speaking of which im going to buy it on DVD ( thanks Amazon. com, you money stealer!!) I dare say it rivals Rocky??.....
½ March 12, 2009
the plot was too simple, but fight scenes weren't bad, and the casting was good. But whatever you do, do NOT watch the sequel!!
November 10, 2008
I totally dug Undisputed. I love boxing movies and I love prison movies. Why not combine the two?? I felt this one of the most "undisputed" underrated movies of 2002 actually. Snipes and Rhames carry the movie well. Undisputed didn't and shouldn't have won any Oscars, but it's definitely worth a watch.
July 13, 2008
A lean mean little B-movie that does exactly what it says it will on the label. Ving Rhames is a a heavyweight champion on the outside, but he's yet to face Wesley Snipes, an undefeated boxer within the penal system.

A great flick, though it does pussyfoot around a bit as far as getting the two into the ring, distracting us with various complications to keep the 'tension' high.

Recommended.