Upside Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upside Down Reviews

June 28, 2016
Breathtaking visuals & music! A Fun Feel Good Sci Fi Fantasy Love Story! Now on Netflix
½ May 19, 2016
The concept is intriguing, the effects are great, but the ending made me wish I hadn't wasted my time on the movie. If I could change the last five minutes of the movie to anything more believable this would probably be one of my favorite movies.
May 13, 2016
I have to disagree with the consensus. The story was good and the director paid good attention to making the detail believable. Thoroughly enjoyed this film, and the color work was phenomenal.
April 27, 2016
Great movie if you're looking for with a sci-fi theme geared more towards the romance. Fantastic visuals and interesting premise helped to keep my eyes on the screen, the romance is cliché, but the interesting story of their worlds keeps it from getting boring.
April 3, 2016
Visually stunning and conceptually compelling, this ambitious sci-fi drama nevertheless slips a lot with basic physics and is hampered by class-A flat-and-cheesy romance.
½ March 21, 2016
Get ready for an opening sequence of ten minutes worth of exposition, none of which you'll care about.

The film is more or less an excuse to be an after effects show off. And it gets old fast.

Not much good can be said.
½ March 19, 2016
Interesting situation about two world close together with different gravity. Things t HD t belong to one world is attracted or falls to that world and visa versa. Two gall is love against laws.
½ January 30, 2016
Really interesting premise, which makes for a lot of great visuals. Sadly, the logic behind that premise is lacking and the plot is merely a rehash of the usual Romeo and Juliet tropes. Thanks to that, the film hardly manages to keep our interest through the entire time. Missed opportunities all around.
December 29, 2015
An interesting movie and if the logic wasn't drivel and the CGI was toned down a fraction, it be half decent too.
½ December 13, 2015
Good example of what happens when the idea for a movie turns out just to be gimmick that gets overused. Could have been an interesting sci-fi movie, but turns out to be a waste of time.
December 6, 2015
It's the Montagues and Capulets on a much larger scale. It's the big-enders and the small-enders. It's England versus Ireland and Scotland and all the inherent socio-economic class struggle therein. Throw in a little Inception visual skewing and you've got yourself Upside Down. And let's not miss out on the Adam and Eden reference, a bringing about of a new world order via, you guessed it, love. Yes, apparently love can conquer all. But here the lovers have an additional element to overcome: physics. And if you've got a problem with the physics of the film, lighten up. Nine out of ten sci-fi films have issues. Keep in mind that it's fictional entertainment. No one's trying to create a world perfectly fit to reality. Let it go. Upside Down has enough going for it to keep most engaged and entertained. It's a love story or love that is to set the world right side up in the end, at least politically and socially. It's a well crafted film that is entertaining with a believable connection between Sturgess and Dunst. Bottom line, it veers from the majority of films that use a few plot lines over and over again. And if you don't like a little cinematic implausibility or the romantic, even overly romantic, go read a science journal and stop wasting our time with your pointless critiques.
½ December 6, 2015
This is a romantic and entertaining movie.
December 2, 2015
Pretty interesting. I love the mind-bending fantasy aspects of this film. They're so cool. The story is cool too, but the acting is where this is kind of meh. Jim Sturgess is not particularly good, and Kirsten Dunst is pretty shitty, as always. Could've been way better with a different cast.
½ December 2, 2015
12/01/15 in this dazzling romantic adventure a man from an impoverished planet risks everything to reunite with his love who lives on a wealthy planet that exists in the sky above his world
½ November 13, 2015
Upside down has a really original athmosphere that defy us to ignore things that we know that are impossible in our world, but it fails to have a refreshing story that, in this case, is full of boredom and doens't develop
½ November 13, 2015
November 11, 2015
Stunning visuals, brilliant idea
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Upside Down is, more-or-less, a teenage magical romance-adventure. Many of the negative reviews are correct but downrate the film too harshly. The premise and world are interesting and visually the film is pretty decent. I can imagine myself being impressed in my middle school/high school years. Upside Down I rate a cut below a film like Tron Legacy (similar genre/audience but done better) but not worse than your average Hollywood movie.
½ September 21, 2015
An interesting idea, with some impressive visuals, but the story struggles to hold together and the visuals leave you confused at times as you try to figure out where you are and what is happening. Timothy Spall gives a good performance, but Jim Sturgess feels a little miscast (especially when doing voice over narration) and Kirsten Dunst coasts through without giving it much effort.
A opportunity for stylish discussion on capitalism and social class, is missed out on.
September 7, 2015
A tepid retooling of Romeo and Juliet sadly leadens this visually extraordinary Euro production. Amazing effects that rival even Hollywood efforts and a rather unique concept with some interesting science behind it are to be admired, but are still weakened by a childish screenplay nonetheless.