In the Fog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Fog Reviews

October 8, 2015
Not sure about a few things here. E.g. The very last note, whether or not the film's central character is too much of a unicorn, the general cinematic approach where answers of most any kind - are not even attempted. On the other hand however - the film does stick to its guns admirably. Leaving lots to both think and feel about.
Harlequin68
½ September 15, 2015
In occupied territory during World War II, Nazis execute a group of partisans who were possibly turned in by one of their one. Burov(Vladislav Abashin) figures the most likeliest informer is Sushenya(Vladimir Svirskiy), the one the Nazis let go. So, Burov decides to take matters into his own hands, while at least not killing his former comrade in front of his family. And that's when things get complicated.

Being on somewhat unfamiliar cinematic ground, "In the Fog" gets off to a promising start. But that's before the movie spends most of its running time chasing its tail, instead of spinning a compelling and suspenseful story. That just goes to prove that the time and place for a philosophical discussion is not a war zone.
May 25, 2015
Dull as dishwasher Russian film about collaboration in WW2. Two hours of my life I will never get back.
August 23, 2014
Ink
Il
Ln. Talk
'I l

Lp

Llllol
July 18, 2014
Not fun.. Not interesting..
ElCochran90
April 20, 2014
In the middle of all the intensity, style and excitement of Tarantino's film, you probably recall an opening scene in Inglourious Basterds which suspense is entirely built on the premise of imminent danger, with a pervasive silence and an excellent evolution of dialogue, which slowly led from one fact to the next, giving us clues of a very probable tragic outcome. In the Fog extends this effect for two hours, and the result is intoxicating.

Such description hints that it requires patience, and indeed it does, but it rewards highly to those willing to listen, and to "see the film between the lines", if we could invent such a phrase to reference the act of reading a book attentively. Slowly showing events with a cinematography mostly consisting in long, unedited shots that create an admirable sense of realism, time passing and danger, In the Fog consolidates Russia's top spot and king status in constructing beautiful introspective and humanist anti-war cinematic letters since the 50s until the 70s during the USSR days, until they acquired a more brutally realistic tone in the 80s.

TINY SPOILERS AHEAD ABOUT THE FILM'S STRUCTURE, NOT REVEALING ANYTHING ABOUT THE PLOT

The most surprising unexpected characteristic of In the Fog is that it slowly reveals its intentions, showing events first and explaining them later, arriving to a point where a sudden turn of events changes the film's storytelling structure completely: it becomes a roller-coaster, taking the backgrounds of three different characters, each with their own agendas and personal troubles, and telling them separately, until arriving once again to the present. This puts the pieces back together and allows to tie loose ends.

END OF STRUCTURE SPOILERS

That structure allows for the plot to become meaningful as it unfolds, all of this while an invigorating camera work takes us from scenery to scenery, just like in the old film days of the Soviets: the swamps, the forests, the snowy fields, the battlefields, the houses, the fog... All of these, along with the very slow pace, become natural landscapes dissonant with the atrocities of war. In the meantime, thought-provoking discussions between characters reunited by strange circumstances of fate unravel about the trascendence of death, about the burden soldiers carry with respect to the perception that their fellow countrymen have towards them, about the strength to live despite an evident lack of reasons to keep moving forward, and, just like the plot summary properly describes, the capacity of the human condition to opt for the "morally correct" in the context of "immoral" - more properly, catastrophic - circumstances. Very recommended.

79/100
March 18, 2014
I found this to be relatively impenetrable. It seems I'm not the only one. I really went into this one wanting to like it too. Perhaps one day I'll try again.
February 15, 2014
Curiously captivating despite subdued action and carefully meted out dialogue.
December 21, 2013
I suppose that the flashbacks were deemed necessary for dramatic purposes. I'm not sure why. In The Fog is not, after all, a mysterious whodunit. It's a morality tale, and a good one at that. Does one ever really doubt Sushenha's fundamental honesty? The story should have been related straight, without flashbacks.
Otherwise -- excellent.
½ December 19, 2013
Quite uninteresting.
½ December 18, 2013
Slow paced, but still gripping stuff and visually haunting.
½ December 14, 2013
Has a lot in common with last year's bountiful imports "Once Upon a Time in Anatolia" from Turkey and "The Turin Horse" from Hungary, in that Russian writer-director Sergei Loznitsa's "In the Fog" is, if nothing else, PUNISHING AS ALL HELL to watch, and more than a bit of a slog to sit through. Easy to see why this didn't go over well with audiences in its native land (though ruskies of all people should theoretically have fallen hard for its pessimistic theatrics.)

That being said, I think there's something to be admired in a film so disinterested in any sort of payoffs. Loznitsa opens "In the Fog" with one of many exquisitely excruciating long takes, following a row of P.O.W.'s during WWII being lead to their deaths by hanging, before finally settling the camera's gaze away from the action as we hear necks break against nooses and the movie bumps up the title card. It's wound with a suitably grim fuse, as "Fog" jumps gracefully out of narrative order to give us glimpses into the lives of a rail worker (Vladimir Svirskiy) and two soviet officers (Vladislav Abashin and Sergei Kolesov) preceding and succeeding the means to this gruesome ultimatum.

Taking visual cues from the likes of Andrei Tarkovsky, Alexander Sokurov and even Romania's Cristian Mungiu, it's hard not to be impressed by the shear aesthetic ambition of Loznitsa's sophomore feature. "In the Fog" may be hard to love, but it's equally tough to shake. (77/100)
½ November 25, 2013
Untuk menonton film ini dibutuhkan mod yang bagus, karena film ini bisa bikin ngantuk.
November 3, 2013
most interesting war movie i've seen,not better than others,but definitely inspires emotions,especially at the very end,it's a little sad too,but that's expected cause it's WWll ,recommended if you don't mind 2 hours psychological and emotional war film
September 11, 2013
Atmospheric but far too slow. With better editing it would just about fill an hour.
PantaOz
August 12, 2013
This compelling, intelligent, heart-warming drama directed by Sergei Loznitsa was a real flop in Russia. But this co-production between Belarus, Germany, Latvia, Netherlands and Russia had some success on the world scene - even competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival and won the Golden Apricot at the 2012 Yerevan International Film Festival in Armenia. I can understand that in the modern times with lots of individuals with short attention span there will be limited number of those who will appreciate the slow tempo of storytelling, and this movie feels like it tells a story in a real time - like we are there. You can almost feel the cold, pain, love... everything from the screen is magically transferred to the audience! The director Sergei Loznitsa deserves praise. What a wonderful job he did.

It wasn't an easy task to adapt Vasil' Bykaw's short story. Everything is happening in 1942 on the territory of Belarus occupied by the German army. The Germans face strong resistance from the Partisans and hatred of most of the local people, but there are people who work with the Germans, because there were tough choices to make. Sushenya is a track-walker arrested and then suddenly released after three of his co-workers were hanged for blowing up a German train. Two Partisans, one of them his close friend have an order to capture Sushenya and lead him to the forest where they have to shoot him as a traitor... but life has different plans!

I haven't enjoyed such complex acting from the main characters for a long time. Vladimir Svirskiy as Sushenya, Vladislav Abashin as Burov and Sergei Kolesov as Voitik have three completely different characters and you could almost feel the way they think - they were working perfectly with each other to bring the feel of chemistry which is necessary for movies like this to feel real. And this one did!

If you are a fan of an intense, slow-burning and haunting drama, pick this one.
July 19, 2013
While Loznitsa's film undoubtedly feels different in the way in which it is structured, its storyline is not as original. In the Fog also occasionally suffers by a frustrating lack of urgency.
June 12, 2013
This for the people that work for rotten Tomtos. I live in NY city and you said that the film critic of NY daily news gave a bad review but when I read his review he gave superman three stars and for a news paper to give that in NY city is a good movie so get your facts right and change his rotten tomtas into a good tomtas
May 31, 2013
A nineteenth century novel of a film - this is wonderfully Russian in a positive way - all ponderous manhood and langurous pondering, with the intertwined stories of people who are not sure what is the truth about anyone else - and the tensions that this brings heightened by combat. Fatalism of the highest order is rendered palpable by the eponymous fog that rolls in.
May 27, 2013
I know this looks awful for "want to see," and "not want to see," but it has great reviews