Valentine's Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valentine's Day Reviews

June 17, 2017
Amazing cast and a cute story :)
March 28, 2017
I really don't care if it's bad or not in this case, I love the movie.
March 13, 2017
Not a fan of this movie
February 14, 2017
Valentine's Day stars a talented cast and I found Ashton Kutcher and Jennifer Garner to be the most likable characters out of its ensemble cast. However, only a few jokes work mainly when Anne Hathaway is doing some humourous phone sex with some amusing accents especially when she adopts a Russian accent. The film also sadly never quite lives up to its true potential settling for cliches in where couples argue and temporarily break up only to reconcile by the end of the movie and characters who want to have sex but, in the end, feel like they're not ready yet. This movie is a decent-ish but not really something truly memorable. Similarly to what I said in my review of New Year's Eve, I'd stick with Love Actually if I were you.
February 1, 2017
It's should've been better than this
½ January 21, 2017
Tries so hard to be the next Love Actually
½ January 7, 2017
Picked up this movie to watch, and it is an absolute gem! Full of great performances, rich with detail and the small touches that make a movie, it is a full ride for two hours with numerous surprises and twists along the way.

I hate Valentine's Day, and love this movie. A modern classic you have to see.
October 25, 2016
This film gets a lot of hate and to be completely honest, this is my guilty pleasure movie. It takes the same formula of 'Love Actually' and replaces England with Los Angeles and Christmas with Valentine's Day. Most people hate this movie because it is cheesy and none of the characters really have any character. They are all one note and little to no personality. Well I can agree, none of the characters are hateable, except Taylor Swift, and all of them have some pretty good jokes... Okay, the jokes are really stupid but I laugh at them every time. Everybody needs that one movie in their collection that they know is bland and not very well made, but they love watching it because it makes them smile and laugh. That is this movie. Dudes, I say watch it for a date night. Ladies, watch it with your girlfriends and with some popcorn. You might find yourself another guilty pleasure just like I have.
October 20, 2016
this one looks like it's gonna be good
August 28, 2016
better than 'New year's eve'
½ August 10, 2016
Wow. So many different stories all into one. Amazing movie so wonderful. And... Damn that cast!!!
½ July 12, 2016
So brilliant! A great film. I loved Ashton Kutcher, Jennifer Garner, Eric Dane, Jessica Biel and Taylor Lautner! And the little Edison broke my heart! Ah...LOVE! So much kind of love!
Vraiment brillant! Vraiment bon film, j'ai adoré Ashton Kutcher, Jennifer Garner, Eric Dane, Jessica Biel et Taylor Lautner! Le petit Edison a briser mon coeur! Ah... L'amour! Et tellement de façons différentes.
June 9, 2016
One thing I liked about this movie is the casting of so many well-known stars. It's fun to see how all the characters relate to each other. But one thing I don't like about it is that there are too many stars. Each story is a short skit on its own. The stories were good but there wasn't enough time to develop it all...very similar to Love Actually. I liked this better than Love Actually because of the celebrities actually. But it's really annoying how everyone kept repeating "Happy Valentine's Day".

This film has its moments of humour. Taylor and Taylor is my favorite duo to look at. (LOL) And lol at Taylor's line of "feeling uncomfortable taking his shirt off in public". Oh the irony. Hathaway's character is hilarious.
½ April 29, 2016
awesome all of my favorite actors
½ March 18, 2016
even thought I don't like British people, LoveActually was a lot better. But this movie certainly wasn't bad
March 12, 2016
coudont ya tout l'UDA etats-uniens :P J'ai bien aimE...leger mais rigolo, on aime ca ! Un beau rappel que taylor swift est une chanteuse, pas une comedienne !
March 10, 2016
I have some reservations (especially after the underwhelming "He's Just Not That Into You") but maybe I'll rent it anyway.
February 28, 2016
What is the prefect Valentines Day gift? Chocolates, roses, candy, jewellery, a poem, a teddy bear, or a love heart shaped piñata and a metal baseball bat?

Frankly, when it comes to this movie, take the baseball bat and use the script as the piñata. Valentine's Day (as per the actual day itself) is a flimsy, passé and insipid American excuse of an occasion.

Bludgeoning viewers into submission, Valentines Day attempts to mimic the breezy charm and vocal intelligence of the interlaced Christmas focused classic British rom-com Love, Actually. Lacking depth or connection, the awkward tedium and glum mediocrity of Valentines Day's sticky sweet schmaltz simply can not be helped by bringing in the entire inhabitants of Hollywood.

Pretty Woman Director Garry Marshall has assembled what has to be one of the largest bevy of bankable A & B-listers in history. With over two dozen near-famous, truly famous and impossibly famous actors typecasted as distinct stereotypes for every demographic it's a wonder why four Oscar winners, two Oscar nominees, an Emmy winner, two Emmy nominees and a Grammy winner would agree to the frighteningly miniscule on-screen face time.

With the merry-go-round dizzy collage of over 15 interwoven hookups and breakups already enough to make you nauseous, the cutting back and forth between character and actor first and last names will simply do your head in. So in the simplest terms and most convenient definitions, to paraphrase (actor last name only)

LA flower-shop owner Kutcher proposes to a surprised Alba. Happy-happy joy-joy she says yes, and he spends the rest of the day spouting sappy cheese ball one-liners to his happily married assistant Lopez.

Ashton's best friend and school teacher Garner is besotted with her new lover, the otherwise married Dr Dempsey (surprise surprise, he's a doctor in this too).

Dempsey inhabits the same building as flaky cheerleader Swift, who is vapidly in-love with athlete beau Lautner.

Lautner's high school bud Jenkins intends to have first-time sex with girlfriend Roberts (Emma not Julia).

Roberts babysits 10 year old Robinson; who is infatuated with his teacher Garner, who's devoted grandparents Elizondo and MacLaine consider renewing their vows.

Stay with me, this is only the beginning.

Tough-as-nails TV executive Bates, demands her Number two sports caster Foxx to do roaming fluffy valentines interviews, but Foxx is preoccupied trying to get an illusive interview with will-he-wont-he retire questionable quarterback Dane.

Foxx contacts Dane's publicist Biel, who is busy being an emotional wreck as no-one has RSVP'd to her "I hate Valentines Day" party.

Biel liaises with bi-polar sports agent Latifa over the whole Dane controversy, whilst Latifa's temp receptionist Hathaway attempts to keep her secret as a moonlighting naughty nympho phone-sex-mistress from her not-yet-serious boyfriend Grace.

Meanwhile, up in the air, free of the interlocking episodes below, complete strangers Cooper and an off-duty soldier Roberts (yes Julia) are taking a nap and bonding over heart shaped candy.

As you can see, the sprawling interconnected narratives fragment in unexpected ways and are simply impossible to condense in a senseical way. Like a bad first date, all you can do is smile and nod.

Whilst intermittent, and hard to see through the haze of pink and predictable Kutcher fluff, there are some wonderful cameos, nice chemistry and genuinely heart-warming moments. Even a true cynic will appreciate Robert's grounding and Hathaway's comedic adeptness.

The Verdict: Although mortifying and atrocious to your everyday sensibilities; sometimes fellows, a little sugary mush can get you a long way. If you're hoping to get back into her good graces after messing up this Valentines, two tickets and a big box of maltesers would be a great start.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 19/02/2010
February 16, 2016
Another typical romantic comedy. Wouldn't watch it twice. In a view of cast my expectations were higher, so I'm a bit disappointed.
February 15, 2016
Actually, quite a charming film. I laughed my fair share and most of the narratives work, albeit on a somewhat basic level. As far as these Public Holiday multi-strand films go, Valentine's Day sits somewhere in the middle. Not quite Love Actually but certainly more preferable to New Years Day. My question is; When are they going to make the Pancake Day movie?