Victoria & Abdul Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

I was surprisingly hooked by this. It takes place after Mrs Brown. I don't know if it was a sequel to it but Judy Dench reprising her role is a nice touch. It's all very quirky and light hearted. The characters are good to watch. The stuffy upper class resentment towards Abdul is played just the right side mean to not be too annoying and tries to stay away from the very likely open racism that someone like Abdul would have undoubtedly faced. Eddie Izzard is great in it. There are some funny moments in it whether they're intentional or not I don't know how much of the story is genuine & how much is for drama but it's an interesting film and I enjoyed it.

• Aug 12, 2019

Centers on the relationship between Queen Victoria (Judi Dench) and her East Indian servant/ teacher, Abdul Karim (Ali Fazal)

• Jul 14, 2019

I'm a big fan of Judi Dench.. so I was really excited about the movie. And however it didn't disappointed me I was a little bored. Like history then this is the movie for you.. it feels very accurate and the bound Abdul and Victoria have feels very special

• May 16, 2019

This movie revolves entirely around the title's characters, in a barely restrained romance... and that's it. The moment the two characters meet, the movie stops being about anything else. If you were watching this movie, believing it to be a genuine historic account of Queen Victoria, you'd be led to believe that she was a selfish, lovesick woman who cared deeply for Abdul, and absolutely no one else... not her children, not her office, not the people of her country, with the possible exception of her late husband. It's a terrible, unflattering narrative which I suspect is incredibly unflattering to the real Queen Victoria as well.

• Feb 20, 2019

I just watched it for the costumes, sets and Judi Dench playing Queen Victoria. TBH, I couldn't really care less about the story, as long as Miss Dench is in it, who cares?

• Jan 15, 2019

I found the plot possible and plausibly interesting but the film did not do a good job in making it believable and convincing. The two main characters are well chosen but the directing and writing lacks in my opinion when it comes to a good film.

• Dec 25, 2018

Movies are supposed to be a form of escapism. That V&A takes liberties with history does not lessen its wonderful drama, humor, pathos, acting, scenery, or any other production values. Light fare that both men and women can enjoy (adult situations may require that youngsters avoid it without supervision).

• Nov 12, 2018

Delightful performance again from Dench and some wonderful costume designs make this a warm and heartfelt enjoyable film

• Nov 08, 2018

A beautiful film that has a good light-hearted relationship touch on the plot

A beautiful film that has a good light-hearted relationship touch on the plot

• Nov 04, 2018

One of the most blatant racist colonial narrative I've seen. Can't believe this is how the story was told in 2018. A benevolent white ruler and the loyal puppy dog muslim just blessed to be considered in the presence of his white overlords. sickening, demeaning. don't watch it.