Waiting for Guffman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waiting for Guffman Reviews

½ August 22, 2017
When a bunch of untalented actors decide to make a musical about manufacturing stools, it turns out to be pretty bad.
March 27, 2017
I rarely watch movies more than once...I've seen Waiting for Guffman dozens of times, and it gets funnier with every view...
December 22, 2016
"I was out shopping for my wife, Bonnie. I buy most of her clothes."

'Waiting for Guffman' is hands down my favorite comedy of all time. The first time I watched it I enjoyed but then it just got funnier and funnier with every rewatch and still never fails to make me laugh out loud repeatedly.

Serious comic gold here.
½ September 11, 2016
"They say that the weather changes every five minutes, but now that I'm mayor it's going to be every FOUR minutes!"
July 22, 2016
A top notch satire, poking fun at small town middle America. This is Christopher Guest and his crew at their best.
January 27, 2016
Eh, I laughed a few times.
December 30, 2015
Sensational performances carry the over the top characters in another Guest winner
December 21, 2015
If only I had a stool to sit on while I write this. I wish I could make my own stool. I would make one that was not too hard and not too soft. Okay, I'm sorry. I can't resist puns, and I can't resist this film. It is one of my most favorite Christopher Guest mockumentaries. It certainly has the most poop jokes. Whether the lives and dreams of a troupe of aspiring thespians from a small town in Missouri interests you or not, you'll get an eyeful of lovable moments. The actors fully embody unique, fully-formed subjects who are homespun, patriotic, heartwarming, and hilarious. I think this movie is the spiritual grandfather of tv's Parks and Recreation.

Tagline: "You will drool at the splendor of these magic stools."
½ August 31, 2015
Not the best Mockumentary that I have ever scene. It had its moments. But it is no Spinal Tap.
May 12, 2015
Spinal Tap.....you have company.
March 11, 2015
My favorite of the Mockumentaries!
January 22, 2015
I work in theater part time and have been a Chris Guest fan since Spinal Tap. First of all, to theater people, this film is considered to be one of the funniest movies ever made. It is constantly quoted, mimicked, and I have even seen audition pieces for serious roles taken from this film. You do not have to work in theater for this movie to be funny, but if you do, you will most likely need an oxygen tank. The character base is strong, the plot itself is simple but effective for the story, and the ending is so bittersweet. I never get tired of watching it. While I like Best in Show and A Mighty Wind, (did not care for "For Your Consideration"), this is definitely the crème of the crop. I have even been to Lockhart Texas, where the town scenes were shot. It is considered the BBQ mecca of Texas and I have a BBQ food truck.
October 2, 2014
Very funny if not a bit weird.
September 29, 2014
Guest and company are just great in everything they do. O'Hara, Willard, Posey, and Levy are all great in their roles and the writing is great just like in all of Guest's movies
September 28, 2014
OMG! Hilariously awkward. The beginning is a little slow, but it really is good. We laughed out loud throughout the performance at the end.
September 26, 2014
A captivating documentary about the city of Blaine, Missouri. Really captures America, the dream to be on Broadway, and aliens.
½ September 8, 2014
THIS is my favorite of Christopher Guest's movies, for personal reasons. This was, I think, the first of Guest's mockumentaries I'd seen, and I was knocked out by the naturalistic acting and astonishingly clever improvisation. When I first saw it I couldn't stop laughing. My scholastic musical career was fresh in my mind, and this movie gets community theater so perfectly (I don't another movie ever will in this way). When the choral line in the song "Nothing ever happens on Mars" began bouncing along the stage in oversized alien costumes I nearly lost it.

Waiting for Guffman is unique in Christopher Guest's mockumentary catalog in that it has a main character. As off-off-off broadway director Corky St Clair, Christopher Guest is a comic tour de force, equally unflappable and incompetent. Guest's riotous Corky is the center of the film, his unshakeable belief in his masterpiece driving the action, and yet to me, it is Eugene Levy's painfully awkward dentist who stole the movie. It is Levy at the zenith of his particular comic brilliance. Like Corky, he has some seriously incorrect ideas about his own talent. Genial and halting in his manner and with a very familiar taste for bad jokes, he is a type of guy recognizable to most (how many of these guys are doctors of some sort?). If not for Corky's arrival, he might have continued tormenting his patients with bad jokes his whole life, but he is transformed by the theatrical experience, coming to see himself as possessing the soul of a Borcht Belt entertainer. His singing is a thing of comedic beauty, as confounding description as Fred Willard's exhibition of banal remarks in "Best in Show". This movie is a lasting comedic tribute to well-intentioned ineptitude. Sort of like "Spinal Tap", but more consistently funny overall (even if no one thing in it can quite get to the level of Stonehenge).
August 19, 2014
The driest and LOL funniest of Guest's amazing mockumentaries, Corky (one of the greatest comedic characters in film EVER) and the town of hilariously well-drawn characters are a treat to spend time with. WfG is pure and utter comedic genius from top-to-bottom.
August 10, 2014
Really didn't like this at all. Was told it was very funny deadpan humor like The Office, but I didn't laugh even once. Skip it.
June 11, 2014
Wither its subject matter directly talks to you Waiting for Guffman is downright hilarious all the way through.